I produced this for a colleague whom I gifted some of the pickle - he & his wife loved it!!! (fortunate!!!)

Ginger & Chilli pickled beetroot.

I adapted a Martha Stewart recipe (link below) to suit my “lock down” requirements (i.e. what do I have in my cupboard?). Where I have adapted the original it is in green.
https://www.marthastewart.com/104999...-pickled-beets
If you need to convert any measurements this might help:-
https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/co...cups-grams.php
I used 4 beets (largest was the size of a decent orange, the smallest was tangerine size) and one bottle of ASDA distilled malt vinegar (568ml) that I already had.
I fortunately had some ginger that needed to be used so used two 1-2 inch pieces peeled & sliced.
For the chilli I used a good tablespoon of Sainsbury’s “hot & smoky chipotle” seasoning spice (I took the grinder off & used it whole).
This made three “bonne maman” jam jars.
Ingredients:
5 or 6 medium red beets (about 1 1/2 pounds without greens), tails and about 1 inch of stems left intact (4 beets largest orange size – the smallest tangerine size – two of each).
About 1 1/2 ounces thinly sliced, peeled fresh ginger (I used a couple of 1-2 inch pieces)
1 1/2 cups rice wine vinegar (one bottle of 568ml distilled malt vinegar)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar (1/4 cup is 50g or 1.75oz – I used a couple of big spoonfuls)
1 teaspoon coarse salt
The How-To:
Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside (I used a large pan with cold water & added some ice cubes just before I added the cooked beetroot).
Cover beets with cold water by 2 inches in a large saucepan.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat. (I used an old cast aluminum pressure cooker (without the lid) as it will discolour your pans!)
Simmer beets until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 30 minutes.
Transfer beets with a slotted spoon to ice-water bath (I added the ice just before the beets and, of course, speared them with a knife!).
Discard cooking liquid.
Trim beets and rub off skins with paper towels, or peel beets with a paring knife (the back of a small paring knife worked really well).
Cut beets into very thin rounds; transfer to a large bowl.
Bring ginger, vinegar, sugar, chili spice mix and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. (I did this at the same time as cooking the beets). Pour liquid over beets; stir. Let stand until completely cool, at least 1 hour.
Transfer to an airtight container, and refrigerate up to 1 month.
I’m planning on making beetroot with rosemary & mint next time!