Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Whole Chicken in The Slow Cooker!

Default Whole Chicken in The Slow Cooker!

My sweet nutritionist turned me on to this...
    Buy a whole chicken. Wash it and pat it dry. Stick some citrus fruit slices in the cavity and dry rub it with your favorite spices. Put 4-5 balls of aluminum foil in you slow cooker and spray it with nonstick. Place spiced chicken in slow cooker and cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours. Beer is optional. Or instead of the foil, slice some medium potatoes in half and lay them face down in the bottom of the crock pot. Then just eat it that whole weekend. When I get the munchies, it's easier and healthier to grab a wing, drumstick or slice off some of the breast. I have been doing it on Fridays before I go to work or first thing Saturday morning. If you get tired of it, use the rest for chicken salad or something.

Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Why balls of aluminum foil?
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

czb

it's supposed to act like a 'rack' to drain the chicken. the only reason i know this is because the recipe is all over FB today. here are the spices:

1 tablespoon smoked paprika
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Why balls of aluminum foil?
    czb is correct. I should have mentioned that they were to help the chicken drain the fat.

I add some poultry seasoning as well.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Why not make it in the oven at a low temperature? I'm just curious why your nutritionist suggested this.

I heard about the foil balls. It's a cheap alternative than buying a special pan for drainage.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

czb

i make a slow roast chicken in the oven. it is baked at 250 for 5 hours. but i do it when i'm working from home. if you're away from home for more than 5 hours, i can see the appeal of a slow cooker.
    BITTER likes this.

^^^Yeah. Because in an oven, I'd have to keep checking it and couldn't leave the house until it was done. You can never leave a house with a gas stove on. I'm able to go out when using the slow cooker, pinkbunnyslippers, and do other things while the chicken is cooking.

czb

for my slow roast chicken recipe, you don't have to check it at all. you just leave it in the oven and forget it. i often leave the house with things in the oven. but usually for a short time like walking the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    ^^^Yeah. Because in an oven, I'd have to keep checking it and couldn't leave the house until it was done. You can never leave a house with a gas stove on. I'm able to go out when using the slow cooker, pinkbunnyslippers, and do other things while the chicken is cooking.
    Good point. We have and electric stove, and I wouldn't leave the house with it on either.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Good point. We have and electric stove, and I wouldn't leave the house with it on either.
    That's true. I didn't leave my apartment when I cooked in my electric oven either...I was taught NEVER to leave a stove unattended. Slow-cookers are different I guess. Mainly because of the timer. My slow cooker has a timer and a warmer.

My mom drilled it into my head to always turn off the dryer too if you're leaving. Apparently these appliances wait for us to leave before starting fires. I would leave the house if my electric stove were on. Not for hours though.
    BITTER likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

^^^I do sometimes turn on my dishwasher before I leave the house.

BITTER, have you tried the rotisserie chicken from Shop Rite? I could probably just eat that alone with no sides.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    BITTER, have you tried the rotisserie chicken from Shop Rite? I could probably just eat that alone with no sides.
    Yes, I have a weakness for supermarket rotisserie chicken. I eat ACME now, as they closed the closest Shop-Rite near me on 10th and South.

The Shop Rite at Whitman Plaza is really nice. It opened in August or September. 10th & South I remember it wasSuper Fresh.
    BITTER likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information