Thread: Pavlova

Default Pavlova

Pavlova

You can substitute bought meringues instead of making your own to save time.

5 large egg whites, at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    11/4 cups Splenda or sugar substitute
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3/4 cup fat-free whipped topping
    1 cup fresh berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries

Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium-high, until whites are firm, but not dry. Continue beating, adding sugar substitute, 1/4 cup at a time; beat about 10 seconds after each addition. Add vanilla and continue beating, 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is glossy and stiff.

Scoop meringue onto the prepared baking sheet. Using a large rubber spatula, spread meringue into a 6-inch round, building the sides and creating a slight depression in the center; place in oven and reduce heat to 250F. Bake, without opening oven door, 45 minutes, until firm to the touch and lightly golden.

Turn off oven; open door and let cool in the oven, 30 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely on wire rack. Use a large metal spatula to transfer meringue to serving platter. Fill center of meringue with whipped topping and berries. Serves 8.

Per serving:
    45 calories
    2 g protein
    8 g carbohydrate
    0 g fiber
    0 g total fat
    0 g saturated fat
    0 mg cholesterol
    39 mg sodium

Lil

Default Re: Pavlova

Or you could be really naughty and make it with double cream and sugar. Personally I really wouldn't use a bought meringue - they aren't the same.

This is Delia Smith's pavlova recipe. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/pavlova,1219,RC.html

Serves 6
    Ingredients
    3 large fresh egg whites
    6 oz (175 g) caster sugar

For the topping:
    10 fl oz (275 ml) whipping or double cream, whipped
    12 oz (350 g) prepared mixed soft fruits, such as raspberries, strawberries and redcurrants
    a little icing sugar

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 2, 300F (150C) .

You will also need a lightly oiled baking sheet, lined with silicone paper (baking parchment), which peels off very easily.

Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and have the sugar measured and ready. Now whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and you can turn the bowl upside down without them sliding out (it's very important, though, not to over-whisk the egg whites because, if you do, they will start to collapse). When they're ready, start to whisk in the sugar, approximately 1 oz (25 g) at a time, whisking after each addition until all the sugar is in.

Now take a metal tablespoon and spoon the meringue mixture on to the prepared baking sheet, forming a circle about 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter. Then spoon round blobs next to each other so that they join up to form a circle all around the edge. Now, using the tip of a skewer, make little swirls in the meringue all round the edge, lifting the skewer up sharply each time to leave tiny peaks.

Now place the baking sheet in the oven, then immediately turn down the heat to gas mark 1, 275F (140C) and leave it to cook for 1 hour. Then turn the heat right off but leave the Pavlova inside the oven until it's completely cold. I always find it's best to make a Pavlova in the evening and leave it in the turned-off oven overnight to dry out. It's my belief that the secret of successful meringues of any sort is to let them dry out completely, which is what this method does perfectly.

To serve the Pavlova, lift it from the baking sheet, peel off the paper and place it on a serving dish. Then just before serving, spread the whipped cream on top, arrange the fruit on top of the cream and dust with a little sifted icing sugar. Serve cut into wedges.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Default Re: Pavlova

I know, I always make the meringue, which is probably why I don't have it often! I love Delia Smith's recipes. I have her summer recipes cookbook and I've been drooling over it.

Thread Information