• 1 Post By whitetigeress
  • 1 Post By Moongirl
  • 1 Post By Beeyotch

Thread: Pumpkin spice latte

Default Pumpkin spice latte

How to save $274 on pumpkin spice lattes this fall

Mark H. Anbinder on www.flickr.com

Are you a PSL addict?

Starbucks pumpkin spice latte season is officially in full swing — this year with real pumpkin.

Fans wait impatiently until the drink’s return every year in early September and flock to get that syrupy taste with pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
    But look, Starbucks is expensive.
    A pumpkin spice latte in New York City costs $4.45 for a tall, $5.25 for a grande, and $5.65 for a venti. That’s an average of $1-$2 more than a regular Starbucks latte.
    Megan Willett/Tech InsiderThe prices and calorie counts of the Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes at my local New York Starbucks.
    So if you’re obsessed with the drink and money is tight, you may want a DIY version.
    We decided to not only find the best recipe, but calculated that you could save as much as $274 a year by making your own.
    Here’s how we figured that out:

First, we found a recipe that was extremely similar to the Starbucks version. Food Network Kitchen said its 4.5-star recipe makes one drink, takes 10 minutes, and includes milk, pumpkin purée, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, espresso, and whipped cream.
    It’s also really easy to make, requiring only a coffee machine and a microwave to heat the milk and other ingredients before whisking vigorously to make them frothy. Sold.
    silviastorti/flickr
    Next, we calculated just how many days pumpkin spice latte season typically lasts.
    The annual beverage went on sale this year on September 8th — though some people were able to get it before hand, but we’re not counting them — and will end around the time red cup season starts on November 5.
    That means this year's PSL season will last 58 days.
    Of course, it could go longer depending on how much pumpkin spice syrup your local Starbucks has on hand since they’ll keep making it for customers while supplies are available. But for now, let’s assume you have 58 days to get the drink.
    We’ll also assume for the sake of this exercise that you’re a pumpkin spice latte addict and need that fix every day. If you’re buying a tall every day for the entire season it will cost you $258; a grande a day will set you back roughly $304; and a venti a day will set you back around $328.
    And that’s before tax.
    joyosity/FlickrTime to make your own!
    Next, we figured out how many of the ingredients you’d need to buy during the 58 day span to make the Food Network’s recipe every day, instead:

• 1 cup of milk — There are 16 cups of milk in a gallon, so you’ll need to buy four gallon jugs of milk throughout the 58 days.
    • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree — A 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree has 30 tablespoons, so you’ll need two cans of pumpkin puree.
    • 1 tablespoon sugar — A four pound bag of sugar will last you the entire span of time.
    • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice — You could make your own pumpkin pie spice (recipe here), but your grocery store also sells 1-2 ounce ready-made containers. In a 1.12 ounce spice container, you’ll have a little under 7 teaspoons worth, so you’ll need two of these.
    • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract — There are 24 teaspoons in a four ounce bottle, which means you’ll only need one bottle of vanilla extract.
    • 1/4 cup hot espresso or strong brewed coffee — This one will vary depending on how strong you like your coffee, but let’s say you use roughly 6-8 grams of ground coffee beans per cup. A one pound bag has over 450 grams worth of beans, so you should only need one bag for your pumpkin spice lattes.
    • Whipped cream for serving — The average whipped cream canister has 80 servings, so you should be good with one (unless you really love whipped cream in which case don’t let me stop you from buying two).

So, here’s your grocery list: 4 gallon jugs of milk, 2 cans of pumpkin puree, 1 bag of sugar, 2 pumpkin pie spice containers, 1 bottle of vanilla extract, and 1 bag of coffee espresso beans.

We looked up the ingredients cost in New York on Instacart and the coffee on Starbucks and calculated that you would spend $54 on groceries for your pumpkin spice latte ingredients over 58 days.
    That means you’ll save $204 if you’re buying tall pumpkin spice lattes, $250 if you’re buying a daily grande, and $274 if you buy the venti.
    So is it worth it?

$274 is a lot of cash, and if you’re truly obsessed with Starbucks pumpkin spice latte and don’t mind spending around 10 minutes a day preparing the drink, it’s definitely worth it to make your own.
    But if you have better things to do with your day and don’t mind spending the money, then go forth and order at Starbucks.

Make a pumpkin spice latte at home - Business Insider

Pumpkin Spice Latte
    Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
    Pumpkin Spice Latte
    Pumpkin Spice Latte

Total Time:
    10 min
    Prep:
    5 min
    Cook:
    5 min

Yield:
    1 drink

Level:
    Easy

Ingredients

1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for sprinkling
    1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/4 cup hot espresso or strong brewed coffee
    Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
    Add Checked Items To Grocery List

Directions

Combine the milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in a medium microwave safe bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and vent with a small hole. Microwave until the milk is hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk vigorously until the milk mixture is foamy, about 30 seconds.

Pour the espresso or coffee into a large mug and add the foamed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.

Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.

From Food Network Kitchen
    Advertisement

© 2015 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Read more at: Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network
    Brookie likes this.
    Free Charmed.

The whole debuting this pumpkin spice latte in August has got me irrationally angry. It's just a blatant cash grab; it's a fall drink and it's still summer--fucking boiling in most cities in August.

I'm not buying one of these just out of spite. Fuck Starbucks and their pumpkin spice.
    SHELLEE likes this.

I've never stepped foot in a starbucks, nor drank their coffee. I refuse to. A girl I work with is addicted to them so I'll send her the recipe.
    Beeyotch, BITTER and BelledeJour like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Flavoured coffee is a crime against humanity. And pumpkin spice is the devil's piss.
    kasippu likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

August? Was that when it appears?

Its late September here, 10-14c (max), the leaves are tuning & we've already had frost on a night twice already.

I don't drink coffee, but pumpkin spice in hot chocolate is lovely.
    Last edited by Novice; September 20th, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
    Free Charmed.

I was addicted to their pumpkin cheesecake muffins. But truth be told their coffee ain't that special.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Oh ffs, I buy vanilla international coffee creamer and keep my pumpkin spice mix in the cupboard above my coffeemaker.
    Pour a bit of cream. Shake the bottle vigorously, pour a bit of foam. Sprinkle the spice on top.
    Voila... homemade pumpkin spice coffee in a lickety split time minus the mess and calories of whipping cream.

starbucks can suck my teat
    ((hugs my coffeemaker and coffeebeans)
    Oh speaking of coffee bean! My nephew gave birth to a boy this past weekend. He shares a birthday with my oldest and I guess as a bday present, my little "coffee bean"'s middle name is my son's first. It's my undying goal to make that boy a coffee addict like his auntie when he grows up. *motley laughs*
    BITTER likes this.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the original "pumpkin spice" latte was had the name because of the spices used (like pumpkin pie spices), not because it was supposed to contain or taste like pumpkin. Now that they changed the recipe to actually contain pumpkin, I wonder of it will even taste the same or be as popular?
    Novice likes this.

Stupid reading comprehension is the problem, as was addressed in the other thread. You're right it's the spices that go into pumpkin pie, not actual pumpkin itself. Which never tasted like much on its own, anyway. People like that food blogger are dolts.

I don't really have anything against flavored coffee, it's just the mass stupidity that it brings out in people makes my eye twitch.

And Nov, yes this year Starbucks decided to start the pumpkin spice lattes in August. I think around the same time L.A. was boiling at 100 degrees.
    Novice likes this.

I really like the pumpkin muffin they had last year, but I've never tried any of their holiday gimmick coffees. I don't care about the pumpkin spice craze in any way.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the original "pumpkin spice" latte was had the name because of the spices used (like pumpkin pie spices), not because it was supposed to contain or taste like pumpkin. Now that they changed the recipe to actually contain pumpkin, I wonder of it will even taste the same or be as popular?
    You're right.

However since theyre leaving the supposedly carciogenic caramel coloring out but adding pumpkin, my guess is that it should mimic the same effect?
    Free Charmed.

Thread Information