Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Vegan Chocolate Mousse

A*O

Default Vegan Chocolate Mousse

I'm gagging just typing this vile idea from our crazy vegan PETArd accountant. I dare you to give it a go.

1 ripe avocado
    1/4 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 cup raw agave nectar (huh?)
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Purée until smooth. Serve chilled. Vomit.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

That's a flagrant misuse of avocado.

I think this might be in my Thug Kitchen cookbook, but I'm not sure.
    sputnik likes this.

but why?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The agave nectar I assume is a sugar substitute of some kind? Is sugar not vegan? The addition of the avacado is just wrong on every level. Couldn't you just make a variation of regular mousse without using dairy?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

^^
    there's no vegan equivalent for thickeners like eggs and cream, so they use alternatives like chia seeds and avocado. and i love avocado. but it ain't gonna do what cream and eggs would.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Some people can't do dairy.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

The agave nectar I assume is a sugar substitute of some kind? Is sugar not vegan?
    some aren't (they are filtered through bone char) so i guess the recipe is playing CYA just in case.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I've made brownies with avocado because I've cut out wheat entirely. The recipe included eggs. The brownies were tasty and moist with good texture. Wouldn't touch the agave nectar which has been advertised falsely as a healthy and natural sugar substitute. It's got more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. Honey, maple syrup or even coconut sugar are better if you have to use a sweetener.
    sprynkles likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

A*O

So, does anyone have the balls to try this? I don't want to waste an avocado. Have you seen the price of those things at the moment?
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    there's no vegan equivalent for thickeners like eggs and cream, so they use alternatives like chia seeds and avocado. and i love avocado. but it ain't gonna do what cream and eggs would.
    I gotcha. I've never had almond or soy or whatever other type of milk. I assumed you could whip it or froth it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    some aren't (they are filtered through bone char) so i guess the recipe is playing CYA just in case.
    Whaaaaaaa....??? Seriously? I swear I never even would have guessed. I knew it went through some sort of process to refine it or whatever but I never would have thought any kind of animal anything would be part of the process. Off to Google to learn more useless information about sugar processing that will probably only ever be useful in a game of Trivial Pursuit, Vegan Edition. Ha ha ha!
    sprynkles likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Organic cane sugar is vegan I believe.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

yeah exactly, i wouldn't waste an avocado.
    honestly, i can tell you what it's going to taste like, having tasted other vegan puddings/mousses.
    it will taste ok. it will taste like chocolate pudding, but the sort of chocolate pudding that makes you go, hmmm something's missing/not quite right. and that something is cream and eggs.
    i mean, if you can't do dairy or you're allergic to eggs, fine. otherwise, why eat an inferior version of something?

when i was living in santiago i had a friend who would always bake "healthy" versions of muffins, cake, etc. they may have been healthier, and they tasted kind of like what they were supposed to be, but they tasted like shitty inferior versions. so yeah, maybe she could eat 3 sawdust/apple sauce/skim milk muffins for the same calories that are in one regular full fat buttery one, but they were also 3 times less satisfying. so fuck that, i'd rather eat half a real muffin than 3 shitty diet ones. at least it will satisfy my craving.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 23rd, 2015 at 05:25 PM.

I feel like I wouldn't care for the texture of this. I have made brownies using dates and cocoa powder before, and they were amazing and fudgy, and they were technically vegan. But I just thought of them as chocolatey date squares. The recipe wanted me to make the icing using dates as well, and I'm like, 'no', and I got out the butter and icing sugar.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

Well my nutty (ha!) vegan accountant does it for purely ideological reasons. It's all part of his ongoing midlife crisis and provides a distraction from the real issue which is that he's in the closet and in denial.

I don't have a sweet tooth anyway so I'd never bother with any kind of chocolate dessert, cake, cookies, etc, vegan or otherwise. But going through hoops to find alternatives seldom works in my experience. I'm with sput, stick to things that work without all the substituting and if that means sacrificing animal products so be it. It's noble to suffer LOL
    sputnik likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    So, does anyone have the balls to try this? I don't want to waste an avocado. Have you seen the price of those things at the moment?
    I definitely would try it. But I'm too lazy to make it. Also, I'm terrible at picking ripe avocados.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information