Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Simple Stuff For the Cooking Challenged (Nutella pie, roast, chicken noodles)

Default Simple Stuff For the Cooking Challenged (Nutella pie, roast, chicken noodles)

Just wondering if anyone else finds cooking a scary task? I'm pretty good at it when I really try, but I am always in a rush and looking for great, quick, non-challenging recipes (although I am going to get out of my comfort zone and try Effie's Greek macaroni looking dish at least once ) Here are a few tried and true delicious recipes that even the worst cook can't screw up. Please contribute some of your own.

Mississippi Pot Roast (as a whole, I HATE roast, but this is so delicious)
    1 roast
    1 package of ranch
    1 package of au jus gravy
    1 stick of butter
    Put in crock pot on low and cover for 6 hours. I serve over mashed potatoes and left overs make great sandwiches. It has a pulled pork texture. Some people double the flavor packets, but that's a little too much sodium for my taste.

Nutella Pie
    1 graham cracker crust (some use chocolate...too much for me)
    1 jar (13 oz, I think) of nutella
    1 bar of cream cheese softened
    1 tub (8 oz?) of whipped topping
    Spread 1/3 of Nutella on crust. (I heat it so it will spread easier) mix remaining Nutella, whipped cream, and cream cheese together. Pour mixture on top and chill pie for 4 hours. This is VERY rich, so know your audience when making this one

Chicken and Noodles (this is so simple, but such a comfort food...kids love..it's almost like a lazy man's chicken and dumplings)
    1 package of chicken thighs
    2 boxes of chicken broth(or whatever fills it up)
    1 can of cream of chicken
    1 stick of butter
    tThe biggest package of egg noodles they make
    Pour the first four ingredients in a crock pot, cover, and turn on low for 6-8 hours. Chicken should almost dissolve into the broth. Put egg noodles in and turn on high for 45 minutes

None of these are exactly healthy, sorry, but they are quick and delicious, even for picky eaters. Anyone have any others? Please give them to me in the simplest terms imaginable. Imagine you are teaching a six year old child to cook.....
    Laurent, Cinnamon*Girl and BITTER like this.

Thanks for these. I can cook but I love easy recipes like these. Will try them.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Here's an easy one that my kid is currently nuts about:
    Mexican Casserole
    2 lbs of Ground Beef
    1 pkg Taco Seasoning
    1 yellow onion
    1 big can of Rotel tomatoes
    1 big can of whole kernel corn - drained of juices
    2 big cans (only because I like them the most) black beans
    Corn tortillas
    Sour Cream
    Shredded Mexican Cheese

Brown ground meat with onion. Drain (and rinse if you want). Add taco seasoning, rotel, drained corn, black beans and bring to a simmering boil. In a pan (I spray mine with Pam), put a layer of corn tortillas and then a layer of meat mixture, a layer of tortillas, a layer of sour cream, the remainder of the meat mixture. Bake at 350 for about 25 to 30 minutes covered. Add cheese (I use a whole pack) and bake uncovered for about 5 to 10 more minutes.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

That does sound good!

you can also make your own salad dressing that's quick and easy and soooooo much healthier than the store bought stuff, even the nasty 'diet' ones that full of artificial ingredients.

in a mason jar, mix 3/4 of a cup olive oil, pinch of salt, pepper (freshly ground if possible), dijon or any other kind of mustard (optional, about a teaspoon if you're using dijon and don't like the spice, a bit more if you're using another mustard), one or two garlic cloves (finely chopped or just pressed - also optional). close the jar and give it a good shake to get those ingredients to mix and then open the jar and add 1/4 balsamic vinegar, close the jar again and shake the hell out of it until it emulsifies.
    you can keep any extra in the fridge for weeks.

a garlic-ier variation that works really well for salads with fresh fennel, is to use more garlic and instead of balsamic vinegar, use rice vinegar and add just a dash of milk (sounds weird, i know, but it's amazing and cuts a bit of the acidity of the rice vinegar), shake the hell out of it.

--------
    also found you a healthier but still super easy crock pot chicken noodle soup recipe:

Ingredients:

• 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
    • 4 cups water
    • 4 cups chicken broth (i recommend using the kind that comes in a tetra pak, they usually have a low sodium version)
    • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
    • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste, depending on saltiness of broth
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1 leek or small onion chopped
    • 1 carrot, chopped
    • 2 stalks celery, chopped
    • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or basil
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 6 ounces noodles

Preparation:

Place all ingredients except noodles in the Crock Pot. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken and bay leaf from pot; take meat from bones, dice, and return to broth, and add the noodles. Cook another 45 minutes to 1 hour or until noodles are done (about 1/2 hour on high). Or, cook the noodles separately and add them just before serving.

Last edited by sputnik; May 5th, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
    BITTER likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

and you can make very quick dishes that are also healthy, no need for soup mixes or cream of chicken or mushroom, that stuff is loaded with sodium and nasty stuff.
    also, pasta salads are a great idea for dinner during summer. just make pasta, either penne or farfalle or something similar (al dente, nothing worse than mushy pasta. and use semolina/hard wheat pasta. basically, get the imported stuff from italy, they'll use the right kind of wheat). make the vinaigrette above.
    chop up a bunch of veggies - onions/green onions, mushrooms, broccoli (i'd slightly steam it before same with cauliflower), cherry tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, the variations are endless. add a bit of mozzarella or feta, maybe some chicken for protein (if you have leftover rotisserie chicken, for example), mix in with pasta. top with fresh chopped parsley. drizzle with vinaigrette and mix.

another quick and easy meal idea - pita bread pizza! get large pita, do one per person. drizzle with olive oil. buy good, pre-made pizza sauce or even a tomato based pasta sauce. spread thinly on pita. top with mozzarella (buy those packets of shredded mozzarella), add any endless variation of ingredients. something as simple as sliced tomatoes, ham or bacon, chicken, olives, etc... you can also do a tomato-less pesto version. thinly spread pesto on the pita bread, top with cheese, put in the oven and walla! easy peasy pesto pizza, or 'pitza' as we called it in college.
    faithanne likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yum, Sput! Those sound great. Thanks. Luckily, my kids love vegetables and will eat almost anything, so pickiness is not usually a problem in my house, just time and knowledge (on my part) I'm learning, though...
    sputnik likes this.

^^^
    cooking is easy. it just seems daunting when you're not used to doing it. being a chef is hard but simple, healthy, delicious every day dishes are easy. as long as you have a few basic skills down, you can pretty much make anything.
    stuff like browning onions and garlic - easy but you'd be surprised how many people do it too quickly and burn them. there are a lot of good youtube tutorials for that kind of thing. not overcooking pasta so it's al dente. ditto veggies - steam instead of boil and don't overcook, they shouldn't be raw but should still be firm and have some crunchiness. once you master a few basics, you can play around with recipes, substitute ingredients, etc.

also, i know it's lame (and a total guilty pleasure of mine), but pinterest is full of super easy and delicious recipes.

I really REALLY hate cooking but it's easy for me to make simple healthy meals, being a vego (and living on my own). In winter I live on simple pasta dishes or curries/soups with lots of vegies and lentils/chickpeas or tofu. And in summer it's salads - Greek, haloumi, tabouli etc. I make a big batch and eat it for every meal until it's gone, then make the next batch. It means I only cook/prepare once or twice a week which suits me, but it's all yummy and healthy, and most importantly cheap.

And I'm sorry but that recipe that needs a can of soup and a stick of butter - that sounds worse than getting takeaway.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Zucchini tart: First I cook the zucchinis (1kg) in a pan with olive oil and salt. Then I whisk ricotta cheese (500gr) with a bit of milk until smooth, add one chopped red onion, the zucchinis, and two eggs. Pour over a pie crust (no top) and bake 40 minutes in oven.
    I like to eat it cold, so I make it the day before and keep it in the fridge.

I like simple flavors and don't use a lot of ingredients but you can add peppers, muzzarella. It's up to you.
    Air Quotes and twitchy2.0 like this.

I'm not a great cook or a creative cook, so I love to find a good recipe that I can follow. Easy stuff that's healthy and tasty are my favorites. A really good, easy dish is a penne pasta dish I make with rotisserie chicken from the store. Boil the package of penne and shred the chicken until you get about two cups. Chop up a couple cloves of garlic, a couple of bell peppers, and two zucchini's. Heat up some olive oil in a pan and add those ingredients. Season with kosher salt and black pepper, stir until veggies soften. Add a pound of cherry tomatoes, the shredded chicken and some red pepper flakes. Heat until warm. Drain the penne and save about a cup of the pasta water. Return noodles to the pot and add the chicken and veggie mixture. Slowly add in some of the pasta water to moisten the mixture. Serve with shredded parmesan and fresh chopped basil. It's so good and so easy.

Also, veggies in the oven are a favorite. Green beans, asparagus, brussel sprouts. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and cook. I also add a little of this really yummy garlic powder seasoning to the sprouts and cook those a bit longer.

I had to learn to cook to feed my daughter. I didn't want her eating a lot of packaged crap or fast foods all the time. Trust me, there are still nights of hot dogs and pizza, and burgers, but she's started eating amazingly well.

I think I'm a decent cook, but nothing I do is complicated. A couple of easy ones:

9x13 baking dish, 2-4 chicken breasts up the middle, veggie on one side (green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, etc), potatoes on the other. Pour one stick of melted butter and sprinkle 1 envelope Italian seasoning over the top. 325 at approx. 45min, check for doneness. It's awesome.

Fluff. One large container cool whip, a can fruit, 1 coordinating jello to fruit. So, 1 large can mandarin oranges/orange jello. Or 1 can cherry pie filling/Cherry jello. Mix together, refrigerate for an hour or so. Great for potlucks.

Tomorrow night after baseball are pepperoni burgers. You always have leftover hamburger/hotdog buns, right? Stack with pepperoni, put a handful of cheese on top. In over at 350 for about 10 min. Dip in pizza sauce. You could essentially pair any meat/cheese/dipping sauce with this combo.

I know I have some more. Gimme a minute to think of them.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Nutella Pie
    1 graham cracker crust (some use chocolate...too much for me)
    1 jar (13 oz, I think) of nutella
    1 bar of cream cheese softened
    1 tub (8 oz?) of whipped topping
    Spread 1/3 of Nutella on crust. (I heat it so it will spread easier) mix remaining Nutella, whipped cream, and cream cheese together. Pour mixture on top and chill pie for 4 hours. This is VERY rich, so know your audience when making this one
    i can't wait to make this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Here's an easy one that my kid is currently nuts about:
    Mexican Casserole
    mmmm...mexican food makes my mouth water.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    Zucchini tart: First I cook the zucchinis (1kg) in a pan with olive oil and salt. Then I whisk ricotta cheese (500gr) with a bit of milk until smooth, add one chopped red onion, the zucchinis, and two eggs. Pour over a pie crust (no top) and bake 40 minutes in oven.
    I like to eat it cold, so I make it the day before and keep it in the fridge.
    i am definitely going to make this. thanks, palta!

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    9x13 baking dish, 2-4 chicken breasts up the middle, veggie on one side (green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, etc), potatoes on the other. Pour one stick of melted butter and sprinkle 1 envelope Italian seasoning over the top. 325 at approx. 45min, check for doneness.
    chalet will definitely need to test her oven temp if you can get your potatoes fully cooked in 45 min at 325...
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Maybe they're diced really small?

My bad, 350. I used red potatoes, cut in halves or fourths.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information