This is great on a hot day, or any day. You can omit the chives and mint, but you HAVE to include the garlic.
* 1 lge. cucumber, peeled and seeded
* 1 tsp of sea salt (15ml)
* 4 tbsp of finely chopped fresh mint leaves (60ml)
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced
* 1 cup of plain yogurt (250ml)
* 2 tbsp of finely chopped chives (30ml)
1. Peel the cucumber completely and cut into quarters. Using a spoon scoop out the seeds. Dice the cucumber into 1 inch cubes. Place the cucumbers in a strainer and sprinkle them generously with sea salt. Place a bowl underneath the strainer to catch the draining liquid. Leave to drain for 15- 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the mint, garlic, sugar and yogurt together in a medium sized bowl. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Drain the cucumber and rinse well. Pat the cucumber dry with paper towel. Chop and add to the yogurt mixture. Add the chives and mix gently. Leave in the fridge to let the flavours combine until ready to serve