Jeez ok! I modified this recipe in that I did not add the tablespoons Sriracha or the tarragon vinegar. I also put it all into the crock pot on high, no lid, for 4 hours instead of simmering on the stovetop. I used bourbon. It is pretty tasty! A few friends came over last night and we made the Red Lobster cheddar biscuits in mini sizes and then put the jam on them. Then we drank some extra bourbon.
1 lb applewood smoked bacon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
˝ teaspoon ground mustard
˝ teaspoon ground ginger
˝ teaspoon ground cinnamon
ľ cup sweet bourbon or brandy
2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 ˝ tablespoons Sriracha
salt and pepper to taste
1. Render bacon on medium-high for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the pot, add butter and melt.
3. Add onion, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 to15 minutes.
4. Add shallot, garlic and spices and sauté for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
5. Return the bacon to the pot and stir until well combined.
6. Pour the bourbon/brandy into the bacon mixture and cook the liquid down for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 ˝ hours, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Skim off any fat/grease that has formed at the top and discard.
10. Pour the mixture into a food processor and process until desired consistency is achieved.