Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By A*O

Thread: Chinese Chicken/Ginger Congee Soup/Porridge

A*O

Default Chinese Chicken/Ginger Congee Soup/Porridge

Total comfort food. Cheap and healthy.

Boil 1ltr chicken stock + 500ml water in a heavy pot with a few chunky slices of fresh ginger root.
    Reduce to a simmer and add 1 cup long grain rice.
    Continue to simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is nice and mushy. Add a little more water if its too thick but it's personal preference.
    Add a finely sliced large chicken breast or a couple of thighs and continue to cook gently until the meat is done (about 5 mins).
    Season to taste with salt and ground white or sizchuan pepper, a splash of Chinese rice wine and a few drops of sesame oil.
    Top with finely sliced spring (green) onions if desired and a few drops of hot sauce and soy sauce of course but toppings are entirely up to you. I like a few slices of crunchy water chestnuts or maybe a pinch of Chinese 5-spice powder.

It's also good with mushrooms for our vegetards or sliced Chinese sausage. Be creative!

Tastes even better the next day.
    McJag and sputnik like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have some fresh ginger in the fridge and been looking for recipes where I can use it! Awesome!
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Sounds really great. I would add the water chestnuts,because any excuse to add them will do. I wonder if brown ruce would screw up the flavor? I am hooked on brown rice as a rule. Love the mushroom idea,too.
    The weather is cool and perfect for this right now.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

@ yanna - Perfect for the Little Viking too!

@ McJag - I've thought about brown rice and Im not sure it would work as the rice has to break down into a semi-mush to be authentic and brown tends not to do that. The "nutty" flavour might not work either but there's only one way to find out!

This stuff is the equivalent to chicken noodle soup AKA Jewish penicillin. I make a pot full and we help ourselves for quick snacks or a satisfying meal. It also reminds me of my dad who became a congee devotee during his world travels and used to make it all the time when he came home. He loved Chinese cuisine generally and had the patience for the meticulous preparation which I don't. Luckily this congee requires very little prep.

NB Do not eat the ginger slices (unless you like ginger). They are for flavour only.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

yum a*o this sounds amazing. i hardly ever eat rice (it just bores me unless it's risotto or sushi) but this sounds amazing. i'm also already thinking of the endless variations you could come up with for this dish.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information