Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Favourite Soup Recipes?

Silver Member

Default Favourite Soup Recipes?

Now that fall's here, I've been making lots of soup. What are your favourite recipes? This is one of mine, except I don't make the garnish:
    Ingredients

• 3 garlic cloves
    • 1 large onion
    • 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or olive oil
    • 6 large carrots
    • 1 large or 2 small parsnips (optional)
    • 1 tsp (5 mL) grated fresh ginger or 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) bottled minced ginger
    • 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
    • 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
    • 4 cups (1 L) water
    • 2 (10-oz/284-mL) cans undiluted chicken broth

• Carrot Coleslaw Garnish (recipe, below)

Instructions

• Coarsely chop garlic and onion. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and stir often until soft, 5 min. Meanwhile, peel carrots and parsnips. Slice into 1/2-inch- (1-cm-) thick rounds. Grate ginger. Add all to onion mixture. Sprinkle with cumin, salt and nutmeg. Stir in water and undiluted chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring often, until vegetables are very tender, 30 minutes.
    • Ladle about one-third of soup into a food processor. Whirl until puréed, scraping down inside of bowl as needed. If you like your soup with a velvety silken texture, press through a sieve into a clean saucepan. Discard anything that doesn¿t pass through sieve. Repeat with remaining soup in 2 more batches. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated, at least 5 days or freeze up to 1 month.
    • When ready to serve, heat soup over medium-high, stirring often until hot. For an hors d¿oeuvre, pour soup into shot glasses or demitasse cups. For a first course, serve in warm bowls. Spoon some of Carrot Coleslaw Garnish (recipe, below) in centre of each. Swirl a little sour cream on top, if you like.

Carrot Coleslaw Garnish

Grate 1 large carrot using large holes on box grater to create long carrot shreds. Finely dice 1 large celery stick. Place carrot and celery in a small bowl with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and granulated sugar. Stir in 1 tsp (5 mL) white-wine vinegar. Taste. Add more salt or sugar if needed. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives. Use right away or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.

Velvety carrot-ginger soup - Chatelaine

http://savorysweetlife.com/2009/10/pumpkin-black-bean-soup-recipe-with-ham-hocks/

Pumpkin Black bean Soup with Ham Hocks
    Ingredients:
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    4 tablespoons, butter

3 tablespoons, cumin
    1-2 tablespoons salt * depending on the saltiness of the beef broth, start w/1 tablespoon and add more if needed.
    4 cups beef broth (1 tall box)
    1-2 pound(s) ham hock/smoked pork shank
    4 15oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 29 oz can of pumpkin
    1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
    1/4 cup dry sherry
    1/4 white wine vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    sour cream
    cilantro

Directions:
    In a large soup pot, sauté butter, onion, garlic, cumin, and salt on med-high heat for 5 minutes. Add black beans, tomatoes, ham mock, beef broth, pumpkin and sherry. Cook on simmering heat for 45 minutes to an hour. Before serving, stir in white wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and cilantro.

I didn't have sherry and used apple cider vinegar instead (not as much as the recipe called for though). Absolutely delicious!

Karina likes this.

Silver Member

^^ I would totally make this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I love soup!!!!!!!!!!!!! I always make up stock and have some in the freezer, you can make whatever you want, the possibilities are endless. Unless you're my son who seems to be very anti soup for some reason I don't understand. He likes my potato soup and this carrot chicken potato thing I make.

Spices: Cumin, Turmeric, Ancho Chili Powerd/paprika if you're feeling safe, Cayenne, Black Pepper, & Salt. (Bonus if you have tomato boullion cubes - these are used instead of salt because of the sodium content)

Olive oil for cooking and smushed garlic (I've gotten lazy and I'm now using garlic in a squeezy tube, yes, yes I am)

Half or so of one very nice sweet onion, I like to keep mine in half strips and not fully dice.
    1-2 cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans rinsed

1-2 bone in/skin on chicken breasts (this dish seems to be a bit on the "too" oily side if you use all dark meat pieces but the flavor if you throw in some thighs is freaking awesome, I would serve over rice if you go that route)

4-6 large carrots (cut into large pieces to avoid super mush, if using the skinnier ends add those in the last 10 minutes of cooking)

3 medium yukon gold potatoes (sort of the same with the carrots, you don't want them to disintegrate)

I do the weird "just so" measurements,

Chicken spice rub: at least 1 tsp of cumin and 1tsp turmeric, mix with chili powder, pinch salt, and a generous grind of black pepper, make sure you enough to rub under and over the skin of the pieces you're dealing with.

Heat the oil in your dutch oven or high sided pan, I go medium heat (which with my weird stove is almost a medium high) once toasty I add the chicken breasts skin sized down for about 3 minutes, flip, 3 more minutes, remove from pot into bowl.

Turn the heat down if you didn't prep all your veggies, PREP YOUR VEGGIES and turn the heat back up!

Add garlic & onion to hot pot, stir around for a bit, I would say 5 minutes tops,

add carrots stir in pot for about 3 minutes,

add 1/4 cup water (or chicken stock) and use that to get any good roasted bits off the bottom of the pan.

Use your spoon to make space for the chicken breast/pieces to go in the pot, add those,

add your rinsed chickpeas and chopped potato.

You'll then add water so it comes up just a tiny bit halfway over the chicken pieces, make sure all the veggies pieces are evenly spread out, and then I sprinkle in more spices and kind of eyeball it; 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric, and then just a dash of shake of cayenne. I'll add fresh ground black pepper while checking on it throughout cooking and tasting the liquid, you may find just a pinch more of the other spices is needed. Also, if you have bouillon cubes add it in tiny slivers, I use 4 slivers the size of my fingernail for a large round dutch over.

Let it get boiling, throw on the lid and turn down low. Should be perfect in 20 to 30 minutes. Add in your left over

Because it's just me and my son this of course has plenty of left overs, so after dinner I let the pot cool and put it all back in the fridge. For dinner I reheat and add about 2 cups of chicken stock, and shred the chicken off the bone and add to the pot. If the carrots and potatoes are disintegrating then just dice some fresh ones and add to the pot. Taste and add a pinch of salt if needed. I serve this with dice avocado on top and bread for dipping in the broth. You can add zucchini or yellow squash at the very end or whatever else you can think of. I like to vein and cut very some kale, and pour the hot soup over the kale already in the bowl. Anyway, this whole mess gets an actual thumbs up from my spoiled heathen which works great for me!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Bump - I have been eating progresso soup for lunch every day but want to make some homemade soup this weekend. I'm looking for ideas for low carb, high protein, soups that leave you feeling full for the afternoon.

I'm going to try this one tomorrow:
    Slow cooker Middle eastern stew

● There’s nothing like having this dish ready to eat at the end of a long day. It’s full of flavor and good for you, too. Ground spices turn this hearty stew into a nutritional powerhouse. Cinnamon provides more antioxidants than fresh blueberries, and ground ginger and cumin contribute cell-protecting qualities. California raisins also lend antioxidant power and provide natural sweetness, fiber, and potassium, with nearly no sodium. Dark chicken meat supplies more iron than white meat, and it costs less, too.

Makes 6 servings

INGREDIENTS

• ¼ cup olive oil

• 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed

• 1 eggplant, peeled, cut into 2-inch cubes

• 3 onions, peeled and thinly sliced

• 4 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced

• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced

• ¼ cup dried apricots, chopped

• ¼ cup California raisins

• 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

• 2 tbsp tomato paste

• 2 tbsp lemon juice

• 2 tbsp all-purpose flour

• 1½ tsp ground cumin

• 1½ tsp ground ginger

• 1½ tsp ground cinnamon

• 1 cup water

Directions

1/ in a large, heavy skillet, heat half the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides. Do not cook all the way through. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.

2/ Put browned chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with eggplant, onions, carrots, garlic, apricots, and raisins.

3/ In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.

4/ Pour mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on high for about five hours.

PER SERVING

• Calories: 331

• Protein: 16g

• Carbs: 21g

• Fat: 21g

• Fiber: 5g
    Last edited by sluce; January 29th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Hey Sluce!

I'm a soup addict as well. My favorite soup recipe is high in protein but also higher in carbs due to all the lentils. The soup is a moroccan stew called harira. It has lentils and chickpeas and sometimes lamb (although I omit the meat and use chicken stock instead).

It's really tasty and filling. Here is a recipe for it:

Classic Moroccan Harira Recipe

For low carb, I make a killer chicken soup full of squash, cauliflower, zucchini and tomato. You could easily add some sweet potato which will keep the glycemic index low but bulk up the soup a bit. I don't really have a recipe -- here are the steps. Brown cubed chicken breast. Add an onion. After the onion is translucent, add a hearty amount of garlic (for colds, I'll add ginger as well). My secret ingredient is Italian seasoning -- if you're into that sorta thing, add it and brown it along with the garlic. Add chicken broth (maybe 10-12 cups?). Add sweet potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. Then add celery (3-6 stalks), 2 zucchini, 2 yellow squash, one head of cauliflower, and 1 can of stewed italian tomatoes.
    Cook till the veggies are tender.

I'll sometimes take an inversion blender to it and blend it bit of it to thicken the broth.

When not watching carbs, I use russet potatoes instead and cook until they are falling apart -- it thickens the broth and adds really awesome flavor.

Add some cooked quinoa for added protein and healthy carbs.
    sluce likes this.

I will try that!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

This is similar to one I love:

CARROT COCONUT SOUP

I made this soup twice in one week. That’s how good it is. It wasn’t because I had a ton of carrots to use up. Nope. I’m just clearly obsessed. Make it. You’ll see what I mean.

It was the sweet & spicy kick that I kept craving. The subtle hint of coconut reminds me of my favorite Thai soup.But! I didn’t have to go to a restaurant to get it…which means I didn’t have to get dressed cuz I’m allllllll for pajamas.

I also have all of these ingredients at my disposal most of the time and this soup took almost no effort. WIN.
    Hooray for simple/satisfying soups. We have the holidays coming up, I say we make things easy on ourselves starting NOW. Can we make things even easier and tell everyone they can come to Thanksgiving in their pajamas? Cooooooool.
    And we’re off! Ingredient gathering. This can EASILY be made vegan/vegetarian.
    I bet coconut oil would be a good replacement for the butter. Especially if you’re a coconut fan.
    Or use your favorite margarine. Do what you please!

The butter gets melted & the carrots and onions get cooked until they soften.

Then we add the coconut milk & broth.

A big spoonful of Sambal Oelek goes in. You can find it at most grocery stores (at least in California!)
    It’s great because it gives that garlic hit without having to chop up garlic. Time saver!

After some time on the stove, the carrots cook and then you blend with an Immersion Blender.
    For a klutz like me, an immersion blender is the most amazing thing EVER. I wonder how I ever transferred soup into my blender. Oh wait, I remember. It was MESSY and I burned myself. Yeah.

The soup gets CREAMY. If you find that it’s too thick, add some water. There’s so much flavor that it doesn’t dilute the taste much. You’ll see!

Serve it up. Add a bit of sriracha on top and garnish with some fresh cilantro.

Simple soup.

Tons of flavor. I might even make it three times this week. WATCH OUT!

CARROT COCONUT SOUP

makes 4 servings
    recipe slightly adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine

• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 1 lb. carrots, peeled & chopped
    • 1 medium onion, chopped
    • kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
    • 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    • 1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
    • 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (more if you want)
    • sriracha (for serving)
    • fresh cilantro (for serving)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion, season with salt & pepper, and cook, stirring often, until carrots are softened, 15-20 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, and sambal oelek. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and liquid is slightly reduced, 40-45 minutes.
    Let soup cool slightly, then puree in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Reheat in the saucepan, thinning with water to desired consistency; season with salt & epper.
    Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with sriracha and top with cilantro

Carrot Coconut Soup – Shutterbean

instead of chopping the carrots, I just shred them in the food processor. You can then opt out of the immersion blender part if you wish. I use a veggie broth for the household vegetarians and instead of the sambal oelek stuff, I fry a heaping teaspoon or two of crushed coriander seeds and some crushed red pepper flakes (adjust for taste. If you dont do spicy, start with a quarter teaspoon. I guess a chili powder or paprika would do too) while frying the onion. Cilantro is usually omitted from this one.
    sputnik and sluce like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I made David Rocco's chickpea soup yesterday. So simple it's crazy. Only thing different I did was use broth instead of water.
    Served it with some whole wheat curry corn fritters I fried up earlier and store brought pickled mango chutney.

chickpea soup-
    1/4 cup (50 ml) extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 1/2 cups (600 ml) water
    parmigiano cheese (optional)
    To start your Chickpea Soup:
    In a saucepan heat up extra virgin olive oil. Gently saute onions until lightly golden, then add rosemary, chickpeas, salt and pepper.
    Remove from heat and with the back of a fork mash 1/3 of the chickpeas or to your desired texture. Return to the heat and add water and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
    A drizzle of olive oil and fresh gratings of parmigiano is optional before serving.
    sluce likes this.

I love chick peas and will try this. Thanks
    whitetigeress likes this.

Elite Member

My French Onion Soup...This recipe serves 4-6, depending on your bowl size.

1 Tbsp. Butter
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    2 pounds large, yellow onion..halved and sliced into half-circles
    3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 Tbsp all purpose flour
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    2 quarts beef stock
    3 Tbsp brandy
    4-6 slices of french bread
    7 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
    salt and pepper

1: Melt butter and oil in large saucepan, over medium heat. Add onions and cook covered, for 10-12 minutes, until they soften, stirring occasionally.
    Add garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2: Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue to cook onions, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes, OR until the onions turn a deep golden brown. Stir occasionally, until they start to color, then
    stir more frequently, and scrape the bottom of the pan, as they begin to stick.

3: Sprinkle the flour over the onions, then stir to blend. Next, stir in the white wine, and let it bubble for 1 minute. Pour in the stock, and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan ,
    and stirring to combine well. Reduce heat to low, add the brandy, and let soup simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4: Toast the bread under a pre-heated broiler on one side. Turn over and top with cheese, broil until cheese melts.

5: Place cheese toast in a warm bowl, ladle hot soup over toast. Serve immediately.

When I make this at home, I tend to cook the onions longer over lower heat, so the onions caramelize better. I also skip the brandy entirely, because I don't keep brandy on hand.
    sluce likes this.

I made the chick pea soup from Whitetigeress last night and it was very good. I have the middle eastern stew in the crock pot right right. The recipe said cook on high for 5 hours so I put it on low and figure it will be perfect when I get home from the gym around 7.
    BITTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I made the chick pea soup from Whitetigeress last night and it was very good. I have the middle eastern stew in the crock pot right right. The recipe said cook on high for 5 hours so I put it on low and figure it will be perfect when I get home from the gym around 7.

Yea! * double claps* ...and you're very welcome

middle eastern stew <----oh,do share!!! Pretty please? I've been branching out into other cuisines. Lately South Asian sweets (for my sweet tooth), although I keep forgetting to buy necessary ingredients every time I go shopping. Damnation!grrr

This is an quick and easy soup. I got the recipe a couple years ago from Food Network and it's tasty. It's basically "Cupboard Soup" because I usually have most of this stuff on hand. If you don't have the exact items, you can substitute.

Tuscan Vegetable Soup

1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium canellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
    2 carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
    2 stalks celery, diced, (about 1/2 cup)
    1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
    2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, optional
    Directions
    In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.

Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.

sluce likes this.

The Middle Eastern stew is so good I ate it again tonight. The recipe is in my previous post.

I will try that recipe Kris.
    KrisNine likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information