Thread: Ziploc Omelets

Default Ziploc Omelets

I got this email from a friend. Sounds pretty interesting Ill try it out and let you know what happens.

ZIPLOC OMELETS
    This works great !!!
    Good when you're alone or when all your family is together.
    Best feature is that no one has to wait for their special omelet !!!

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.
    - Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the quart size Ziploc bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.
    - Put out a variety of ingredients such as:
    cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.
    - Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.
    - Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
    - Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.

You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

- Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

- Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

Imagine having these ready the night before, and putting the bag in boiling water while you get ready. And in 13 minutes, you have a nice omlette for a quick breakfast!!!

SVZ

Default Re: Ziploc Omelets

The only thing I would worry about is boiling plastic. It contains chemicals to make it soft, which become soluble in heat, especially to lipids.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

^^ I agree. Only certain kinds of plastic is safe for cooking. It has a different melting point or something. I'm freaked about stuff like this and am even paranoid of heating food in a plastic container in a microwave.

Safe plastics say that it is microwave safe, dishwasher safe etc so make sure to read the label.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Sounds like a great idea!!

Zee

Did this when my nephews spent the night. I wasn't making custom omelets all morning. Everyone got exactly what they wanted to eat.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I'm freaked out by the idea of boiling a plastic bag, though! How did yours turn out, zorbeet? Did anybody die from fumes?

Zee

^^No. Figure it's similar to the boil in bag frozen dinners. Highly doubt that ziploc would ever endorse cooking in their bags.

Don't plan on doing it very often. It was more entertainment for nephews.

I usually just cook mini omelets in muffin cups.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Ziploc's website advises against it.

Oh wow!!!
    Thanks KristiB for that head's up.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB
    Ziploc's website advises against it.
    lol, I need to report this to our Scout Leader. We do this almost every time we go camping with the scouts (every couple months at least). Turns out great...hadn't even thought about the plastic.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Bronze Member

I wonder if there is a type of plastic baggy out there that is for the rolling boil type of cooking, because I know that is a wonderful way to cook rice if you add a few pin hole sto the baggy first and then everyone had there own serving ready and no extra rice to contens with!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn6412 View Post
    I wonder if there is a type of plastic baggy out there that is for the rolling boil type of cooking, because I know that is a wonderful way to cook rice if you add a few pin hole sto the baggy first and then everyone had there own serving ready and no extra rice to contens with!
    I have one of those food sealer things (I can't think of what they are called) and the plastic bags they provide are good for rolling boil cooking. I use these constantly when camping and they are a great assistance for quick dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    I have one of those food sealer things (I can't think of what they are called) and the plastic bags they provide are good for rolling boil cooking. I use these constantly when camping and they are a great assistance for quick dinners.
    The FoodSaver device? Slightly off topic, but have you ever had any problems with sealing the bags? Especially when trying to create your own bag off the roll? We're having that problem with ours, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

And back On Topic, this sounds like a really cool idea. May have to try it next weekend.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    The FoodSaver device? Slightly off topic, but have you ever had any problems with sealing the bags? Especially when trying to create your own bag off the roll? We're having that problem with ours, and I can't figure out what's wrong.

And back On Topic, this sounds like a really cool idea. May have to try it next weekend.
    I don't have any trouble, but my husband can't seal a bag if his life depended on it. Ours has an option to vaccuum and seal or seal only. Make sure your is set to seal only to create your first seal, it works best for me if I just flop the bag in there and don't try to get the end in the little channel. I think you hold it down for about 10 seconds or so to get the first seal. Then stuff your food in, switch to vaccuum and seal and make sure that the end of the bag is in the little channel (that's where it sucks the air out), press down again until the vaccuum starts then you should be able to let go and it will finish itself off.

In the beginning I cut off little bits of the roll to practice on so I wouldn't try to figure it out while there was food involved. It does take a little practice, but now I can do it without difficulty. The canisters are great too, but don't try to put any rice crispy treats in there or cereal with marshmellows! My husband thought that would be a great idea and it collapsed all the marshmellow and made them stale-like immediately.

^^Okay, those are the same options that ours has. I'll have to do some more practicing. The Pre-made bags that I have vacuum and seal fine, but the bags we cut ourselves haven't been sealing. Thanks for the advice!
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Thread Information