Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What's your summer "Go To" meal?

Default What's your summer "Go To" meal?

I am bored with food and with cooking. I am looking for fast, light and easy meals for summer. I eat meat and every veggie. So please share your favorite meal that you go to when it you need an easy, flavorful meal. Thanks
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I like to go Out. No muss,no fuss.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i almost always keep gazpacho in the fridge in summer. it's super easy, i make it in batches and keep it in a tupperware in the fridge and usually have a bowl at the start of every meal. it's cold and flavourful and refreshing.

i posted my recipe before but i'll copy it here again:

6 ripe tomatoes (gazpacho is a great way to get rid of old, ripe tomatoes)
    1 cucumber
    garlic to taste
    salt
    pepper
    red wine vinegar (about 1 tbsp)
    olive oil (about 1tbsp)
    1 or 2 pieces of white bread (plain white sliced bread or tramezzini bread)

chop up tomatoes (i take out the gunk with the seeds) and cucumber
    add the crushed garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and blend
    depending on the consistency, you might need to add the white bread to thicken it up. cut the crusts from the bread, and sprinkle slightly with water. add to the mix. blend again.

if you really want to make it diet gazpacho, nix the bread and instead use half fresh tomatoes, half canned pelati tomatoes. this will give you a thicker gazpacho with no need for bread.

refrigerate and serve cool.

sometimes if i want to have a light lunch but want to make the gazpacho more filling, i just top it with grated carrots and/or beet and/or turnip
    sluce likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

In the summer, we're big fans of cooking only one day a week inside the house... Anything other than that and it has to be a "hotdog night" and we grill on the porch. Yesterday I cooked inside and I made a brisket - cooked on low for several hours. I let it cool and then I take all the fat off and chop it into very small pieces (I use my ulu knife so that it chops up so fine that chewing is optional). I make a homemade barbecue sauce and I mix that in and we have brisket sandwiches for the week.

In the summer months, HEB carries fresh purple hull peas, lady cream peas and fresh butter beans. I like to take any one of those beans: cook 4 to 6 pieces of bacon in chopped onion, discard/EAT the bacon and add the thawed peas/butter beans to the bacon drippings, cook without water on low heat for about 30 minutes, then add water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 hours. Add salt and serve. About 1.5 hours into cooking, I'll add a can of rotel and some okra to mine but some people don't like that.
    sluce and olivia like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

yum, i want to eat your brisket mel.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

well, it IS delicious!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

I try to grill all summer. It's too hot to turn on the oven. To keep it from getting too boring, I use or make different marinades for meat and veggies. I love grilled veggies - tomato, onion, zucchini, eggplant, peppers. Oh and grilled pineapple for meals with pork. I even do grilled pizza in the summer (store bought pizza dough, whatever leftover veggies in fridge with fresh mozz). For easy marinades try the grill mates line. Or make your own .. a little vinegar is key .. it penetrates the meat better.

Cold summer salad: whatever fresh veggies in fridge, usually tomato, cucumber, onion, zucchini, etc chopped raw with some minced garlic, fresh basil, olive oil and red wine vinegar. I eat that all damn day. It's a good, light side dish.

Crock pot: pork butt and bbq sauce. Slow cook all day. pull apart with fork. Pulled pork sandwiches.

OH, my son loves to make little veggie packs put in foil with a meat and grill them... His usually consists of sausage and potatoes. Mine is sausage, squash, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, etc.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

I'm a fish and salad girl mostly during the summers. Hubby grills out a lot when we're not on a "no burn order". We keep lots of toaster oven type snacks in the house for the boys.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Gazpacho, Greek salads and Vietnamese bun. like so: Recipe: Bún Chay (Vietnamese Vegetarian Noodle Salad) Recipes from The Kitchn | The Kitchn
    A lot of drinking. Shandy, iced tea, lemonade.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I love to make a Greek Pasta salad in the summer months. I cook a package of cheese tortellini, after it cools I add chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, green olives, feta cheese and a greek vinaigrette. I prefer a brand called Famer Boy.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Chicken salad. It's not so easy to prep but I make big batches because I could eat it for lunch and dinner.

My go-to CS is with granny smith apples, raisins, celery and red onion. But recently I've been making a copycat version of Whole Foods blackened chicken salad with carrots and green onions.

If anyone's interested, I can find the recipes, they're online somewhere.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Tuna fish salad.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

I like that spiral tricolor pasta with whatever vegetables we have and a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar. We also enjoying grilling and we do a lot of burgers, corn and the cob, and watermelon. I like to keep it casual and cheap these days!

Lobster at the beach! Clams at the firepit. Etc...

Seriously, I'm avoiding cooking like the plague right now; it's too hot and we don't have a barbecue yet and this stupid kitchen has no good place for us to put our George Foreman grill. If I had a better arrangement I would have that sitting somewhere accessible all the time and toss on some salmon or chicken, zucchini, tomatoes, asparagus, etc. It's not really big enough but we can cook things in shifts and they're ready in under ten minutes. Love grilled veggies and will eat them all day long if they're quick and easy. Definitely looking forward to the new kitchen and/or biting the bullet and getting a barbecue!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information