Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: American Recipe Request

Default American Recipe Request

I'm on holiday with my family at the moment, and we have a lot of fussy eaters so we have planned American food night where we're going to cook loads of tasty stuff to suit everyone. I'm just looking to beg some recipes if anyone has any to share? We're thinking homemade burgers, ribs and shrimp and pulled pork and whatnot. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears! Thanks y'all!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Mac and cheese
    OrangeSlice and darksithbunny like this.

A*O

Fussy eaters. Sigh. Give us a clue what they will/won't eat? I'm not American but might be able to help.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ribs must be cooked long and slow. Just slather in BBQ sauce,wrap in tinfoil and pop in oven for several hours.
    What kind of potatoes do they like? You can serve with baked or try a potato salad. Baked is far easier.
    Also,maybe season corn on the cob,wrap in tinfoil and oven bake or grill.
    BITTER likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks McJag, thats the kind of thing we're looking at. There's a few picky people and they'll all eat different stuff, but the common denominator appears to be bread, potatoes and chicken so we thought a sort of buffet-style type night would be the best bet Wee sis wants to try to make a juicy lucy burger (with the cheese inside) but they look like they'd be a bit hard to make. All suggestions are welcome!

You can't beat fried chicken, I'm sure you could find a recipe online. Collard greens, mac 'n cheese (like mentioned, I personally make bacon mac 'n cheese, cause when you're making it you may as well go all the way, I add different cheeses too (white cheddar, sometimes goat cause I love goat, really just a weird combo that never turns out bad cause c'mon, it's cheese), mashed sweet potatoes with apples, cornbread , and pulled pork is always amazing. Or an apple pie.

Baked apples are easier than pie and very tasty.

10 apples peeled, cored and sliced or cubed
    2 tsp cinnamon
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp lemon juice optional, but I prefer it with an acid
    Dash of salt
    Dash of nutmeg

Mix everything gently in a bowl, put in any type of nonstick pan, cover and bake on 375 for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^Oh yes, I completely forgot about those. I even like baked apples even more than apple pie.

Veggie kabobs are good for the picky crowd. They can pick off whatever they don't like, so I tend to make them when we grill. And you can pretty much use whatever you have on hand.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Don't forget that whatever you make must contain lots of sugar.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Bacon!

or is this a Canadian thing?
    *munches on bacon*
    Karistiona likes this.

Pulled pork barbque on hamburger buns with coleslaw! We will have pork roast one night and the next day, I take it and slow cook it for about 2/3 hours on the stove with a little water until it is so tender it falls apart when you push it with a fork. Then get some bbq sauce from a bottle or go online and find a recipe, and mix it with the pork and let it simmer for a few mins. I don't have a great coleslaw recipe. I love my mom's which is real simple. She puts cabbage in a food processors, then puts carrots in and blends it, puts it all in a bowl with mayo, vinegar, salt, sugar, and a little milk. Toss it together when it is to your liking. She never gives me exactly measurements of how much. She says she does "eyes" it. lol.
    Novice likes this.

Grilled chicken parts- marinate in lemon juice and whatever herbs you can get your hand or pne of these recipes http://http://bbq.about.com/od/marin...de-Recipes.htm
    Or Grill steak
    McJag likes this.

Thanks guys, some great ideas here! I've been talking to the kids and they're liking the idea of grilling chicken and ribs and veggies on the bbq so that's progress there as kids/teens, they're quite taken with the Man vs Food type stuff that we're thinking of cooking (although not in ridiculous quantities) so hopefully they'll try some new stuff and broaden their horizons a wee bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Thanks McJag, thats the kind of thing we're looking at. There's a few picky people and they'll all eat different stuff, but the common denominator appears to be bread, potatoes and chicken so we thought a sort of buffet-style type night would be the best bet Wee sis wants to try to make a juicy lucy burger (with the cheese inside) but they look like they'd be a bit hard to make. All suggestions are welcome!
    They are actually really easy to make. I make them all the time. Use your regular burger recipe (if you have one, if not mine is 1 lb beef, 1 tsp worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp hot sauce, 1 egg, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 tsp onion powder-but mine are closer to mini meatloafs, purists might not like them, BF loves them though), but divide each patty amount into 2 patties. So if you are making 4 burgers, make 8 equal sections and flatten them. I use a piece of sliced cheese from the deli folded twice into a square. Put the cheese in the center of 1 patty and top with another patty, then pinch and smooth to seal them the best you can so the cheese doesn't leak out, and then cook like usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information