Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By twitchy2.0

Thread: Looking for Pie for a Crowd Recipe

Default Looking for Pie for a Crowd Recipe

My two oldest nieces are graduating this year and both have asked me to make certain types of pies for their grad parties. The types of pies they are asking for are banana cream, rhubarb, and either berry or apple. I am not looking forward to making 30+ pies for each party. I was hoping to be able to make them in half sheet (or other large size) pans. Does anyone know if this is possible (I'm sure it must be somewhat do-able) and if so, does anyone know of a recipe for such a large pan? Even if you have an idea on just a large pie crust recipe it would be helpful. I would truly appreciate any help at all on this.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

^^I don't have any pie suggestions, but it's nice to see you around!! It's been a while

Could you make a cobbler or a crisp? That would work great with berries or apples.

Get them to help make the pies with a baking/bonding bee.
    Just Kill Me likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

If you had a large enough pan, it might be easier to make a graham crumb or ground almond crust instead of pastry. Then you could just mix it with a little melted butter in the quantities you need to cover the pan and go up the sides a bit. I've made pies like this before with a fruit and cream cheese mixed filling, so I imagine it would work well with banana cream; not sure about the others.

I like Twitchy's idea too, of course!

Good luck!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thanks, I like all the ideas actually. Especially having them help make the pies with me. It might be one of the last times we will get to do something like that since both girls are going off to college and going to be beginning their new adult lives....so wonderful and sad. Getting everyone on the same schedule will be tricky, if even possible....those girls are busybusy. I did find a 1/2 sheet pan recipe for apple pie, but I am probably going to go with a fruit crisp and also use a mixture of graham and almond for the banana cream. Both parties have almost 300 people invited, so the easier the better. And thanks KrisNine, it does feel like a long time....

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Silver Member

Thread Information