Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow's Chicken burgers and Chocolate and almond cupcakes

Default Gwyneth Paltrow's Chicken burgers and Chocolate and almond cupcakes

Chicken burgers, Thai style

These were invented when I was trying to think up new and flavourful ways to use chicken while keeping out bad stuff. Insanely tasty, these can be served with a side salad or on a gluten-free bun, or with some Asian greens.

Serves 4

• 450g · 1lb minced chicken (preferably dark meat)
    • 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
    • 30g · 1oz (⅔ US cup) coriander,
    • finely chopped
    • 2 shallots, very finely minced
    • 1 teaspoon very finely minced red chilli (or more or less, however hot you like it)
    • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
    • ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
    • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons neutral oil (such as canola, grapeseed or safflower oil)

✿ Thoroughly mix the chicken with the garlic, coriander, shallots, red chilli, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 burgers, each about 2cm · ¾ in thick.
    ✿ Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Rub each burger on both sides with a bit of the oil and grill for about 8 minutes on the first side and another 5 minutes on the second, or until nicely marked and firm to the touch.

I swear by the cakey brownie recipe in my first cookbook. Here we jazz up the tried-and-tested batter in new ways. These cupcakes can be served uniced or finished with our go-to dairy-free frosting (Darleen’s Healthy Buttercream, recipe in It’s All Good).

Makes about 18 cupcakes

• 300g · 11oz (2 US cups) white spelt flour (if you can tolerate a little gluten) or all-purpose gluten-free
    • flour (if it doesn’t include it in the gluten-free flour, add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum)
    • 100g · 3½ oz (1 US cup) high-quality cocoa powder
    • 1½ tablespoons baking powder
    • a pinch of salt
    • 120ml · 4fl oz vegetable oil or Vegenaise
    • 240ml · 8fl oz good-quality maple syrup, plus an additional 4 tablespoons
    • 120ml · 4fl oz brown rice syrup
    • 120ml · 4fl oz strong brewed coffee
    • 120ml · 4fl oz soya milk or rice milk
    • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    • 4 tablespoons roasted almond butter

✿ Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/350F/gas 4.
    ✿ Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and another tin just with 6 liners. Set it aside.
    ✿ Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powders and salt together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil or Vegenaise, 240ml · 8fl oz of the maple syrup, the brown rice syrup, coffee, soya milk and vanilla.
    ✿ Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones, being careful not to over-beat (that’s how you end up with tough cupcakes!).
    ✿ Meanwhile, whisk together the almond butter and the remaining 4 tbsp of maple syrup and set
    it aside.
    ✿ Fill each muffin cup halfway with the basic batter. Evenly divide the almond butter-maple syrup mixture among the muffin cups and top with the remaining batter. Bake for 25 minutes.
    ✿ Let cool completely before serving.

Variation: Tall Chocolate layer cake

Prepare the cake batter as for the cupcakes, omitting the extra 4 tablespoons of maple syrup and the roasted almond butter. Divide the mixture between two greased 20cm or 23cm (8in or 9in) cake tins. Bake at 180C/160C fan/350F/gas 4 for 20 minutes. Let the cakes cool completely before frosting. We like to do this as a double-layer cake with frosting between the layers and then all around and on top of the tall cake. Feel free to add fresh berries between the layers and on top, too!
    (Find our favourite frosting, Darleen’s Healthy Buttercream, in It’s All Good. We also use it for the cupcakes).

Read more: Gwyneth Paltrow It's All Good: Chocolate and almond cupcakes | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wouldn't let Kari see this cupcake recipe.

Also, calling grilled ground chicken over baby bok choy a "burger" does not hide the fact that it looks like diet food.
    Last edited by Waterslide; March 17th, 2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Karistiona likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Elite Member

Minced chicken is nasty. It's never, ever, makes a good burger.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Yeah, I guess a lot of people love ground chicken, but I really don't like it, and wouldn't eat a burger made out of it.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

the goop's chicken burger doesn't sound bad at all, that and some steamed or grilled bok choy and you've got an easy, healthy dinner for a summer evening. i don't buy ground chicken but i do like ground organic turkey meat and would use that instead.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

It all looks delicious to me.
    Honey likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

There's actually a local restaurant that does a surprisingly good chicken burger. I always thought chicken and turker burgers were the pits as well, but this place has made me a believer. It's possible that this is tasty.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I'm not big on ground tukey on turkey burgers, but I've had a few that are actually OK. It really depends on how they're seasoned. I just think she's calling it a burger to make it seem like it's some fun, decadent thing it's not. With that said, the chicken patty recipe and pic don't look that horrible, but I'd be just as happy eating a chicken breast rather than making it in patty form.

And I probably shouldn't even be bringing this up, but did she mean cilantro not coriander?

The brownie cupcakes look OK, but I don't like berries and chocolate together so the cake version is really not appealing to me. The frosting part looks good though.
    ~Manx Mouse

That cake actually sounds really good - I might try making it.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I wouldn't bother, it'll only sink in the middle. Stupid Gwyneth. I like how she's decided that she invented the chicken burger. The brownie things do look nice, but they're probably stunt brownies from a bakery.
    Waterslide and Laurent like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'd be just as happy eating a chicken breast rather than making it in patty form.

And I probably shouldn't even be bringing this up, but did she mean cilantro not coriander?
    Notice the recipe says to try to use dark chicken meat, which has a lot more flavour than a chicken breast. That's another thing that makes me think this chicken burger wouldn't be half bad. Personally, I think chicken breast is the most bland meat known to mankind.

cilantro/culantro and coriander are the same thing.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Story time: Gwynneth took charge of the cake for a crew members birthday on a movie (that a friend of mine worked on.) She found a healthy bakery in the far-flung town to make a macrobiotic cake for her, according to one of her zany recipes. She unveiled it on set, with much ceremony and pride. It sucked. It didn't even hold together like a cake. It was soggy crumbly morsels that tasted like syrupy paper that suck to the roof of the mouth. Everyone on set had to have a piece and invent creative ways to get rid of it. Most of the cake sat there all day until GOOP left the set and they could just toss the mess. My friend said it was painful watching GOOP illicit opinions about her cake and the lectures about food and health she gave about the ingredients.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

See! She's a real-life sanctimonious, clueless bitch!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Notice the recipe says to try to use dark chicken meat, which has a lot more flavour than a chicken breast. That's another thing that makes me think this chicken burger wouldn't be half bad. Personally, I think chicken breast is the most bland meat known to mankind.

cilantro/culantro and coriander are the same thing.
    Chicken breast is definitely bland on it's own, but that's why I butterfly it, or cut in strips, or chunks, before marinating or seasoning it. I'm picky about dark meat chicken, so I'm not sure it would help with the flavor for me, though I do like dark turkey meat. Dark meat chicken sometimes tastes fishy to me, though I'll eat it fried or grilled if that fish taste isn't too strong. The recipe is not horrible, the seasoning sounds good, I just really hate the texture of the ground chicken I've eaten in the past, so that's what's really killing this for me.

I thought cilantro and coriander were the same thing, but then I was told differently. I don't know anymore, I just know I like the green leafy things and the seed things both.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Story time: Gwynneth took charge of the cake for a crew members birthday on a movie (that a friend of mine worked on.) She found a healthy bakery in the far-flung town to make a macrobiotic cake for her, according to one of her zany recipes. She unveiled it on set, with much ceremony and pride. It sucked. It didn't even hold together like a cake. It was soggy crumbly morsels that tasted like syrupy paper that suck to the roof of the mouth. Everyone on set had to have a piece and invent creative ways to get rid of it. Most of the cake sat there all day until GOOP left the set and they could just toss the mess. My friend said it was painful watching GOOP illicit opinions about her cake and the lectures about food and health she gave about the ingredients.
    This is what I assume is going to happen with a lot of the recipes I see for healthy/gluten-free/vegan cakes. It's hard enough making a perfect cake from scratch with "normal" unhealthy ingredients, much less all the fiddling with different kinds of fat (milk and butter) and flour (rice flour). I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just harder to do and I'm not surprised that even a bakery couldn't swing it. The few attempts I've made at vegan cakes have turned out to be bricks, but I haven't had tons of practice.

I can't get with the lecturing. On one hand, I get that if you love a certain kind of food, or feel really strongly about something, that you want to share that with people and that's totally cool. However, I don't think a person's birthday is necessarily the time to do that. You don't make someone's birthday cake about YOU, you get one they might enjoy, because it's not YOUR birthday. I assume she heard the word "birthday" and thought it was her chance to show off her sparkling wisdom on all that is macrobiotic, meanwhile the rest of the crew were probably planning on getting a cake the person and everyone else might enjoy without the moral attached to it.
    ~Manx Mouse

Yeah I love dark chicken meat because you don't have to marinate it for hours to give it flavour like you have to do with chicken breast - it's like the tofu of meat.

Re coriander/cilantro, in the us it's called cilantro, but the rest if the English speaking world calls it coriander. I think in the USA some people call it cilantro when it's fresh and coriander when it's dry or when it's just the seed. Really, it's the same thing and cilantro is just the Spanish name for it.
    Last edited by sputnik; March 18th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information