Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Need a Recipe for A Good Gravy...

Default Need a Recipe for A Good Gravy...

Who has one?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

What kind of gravy? I don't think I use a recipe per se, I just kind of wing it.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Waterslide, whatever ideas you have for poultry or meat gravy. I've been so lazy in the kitchen over the past couple of years, I haven't made one from scratch in ages. I am watching Alton Brown tonight, and his show is on gravy. But as usual, he overanalyzes and over-explains everything, I could not understand a word.

I guess I need to know more about technique than anything.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

You can really gravy anything. Usually meat broth is the base, best if it's a bit fatty - but it doesn't have to be. I use flour and water to thicken, put a tbs or so of flour in a small container with a quarter cup water. Seal container and shake, then stir into your boiling liquid, keep stirring for a few minutes to make sure you don't get any clumps. Flour cooks in about 10 minutes. The amount of flour mixture to use will depend on the amount of initial broth.

Thems the basics for gravy in my house. Like waterslide, there's alot of winging it - ratios of flour to broth vary depending on how thick you want the gravy to be and seasoning will vary depending on your base.
    shedevilang likes this.

OMG! Shedevil, please take this over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    OMG! Shedevil, please take this over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Uhoh.

shedevilang likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Uhoh.
    Damn straight. You better run!!!

I can't watch the video right now (stupid computer)... I'm prepped to run, but would rather learn. I know there are massive gravy sins that can be made, which did I committ?

That video is good, but I use the fat they skimmed off the top, not butter. Also,I use a black skillet. I use 2 TBS oF the fat, 2 tbs of flour (or 3 of each) and stir until nicely brown. Raw flour is awful. Then add hot broth & wisk in very well. Let simmer until it thickens. It should be a rich brown & make sure it is well seasoned. You have to taste it...
    Fat and flour must be equal amounts. Do not shake flour and water. Ever! Make it all in the pan or skillet.

Oh-and I do not strain the gravy. If it has some bits of turkey or meat,fine. It tastes dee-vine!
    shedevilang likes this.

What burnt_toast said, basically it's fat, starch and water/broth. Alton Brown has to make everything so completely complicated. I like the chemistry behind cooking, but the methods he uses are so ridiculous.

Basically, if it's roast beef or chicken, I take the meat out of the roasting pan, put the whole roasting pan on the stove top, pour in some water and stir it. Then I take cornstarch and mix water in, and then whisk it into the roasting pan so it doesn't get lumps. Then adjust for seasonings. (And put through a strainer so you don't get lumps or other crunchy stuff unless you like that stuff).

If I'm making something where I want gravy, but don't have any drippings I make onion gravy. I can't remember the proportions (and I lost my recipe book, I have to find another copy of the recipe I use). It's not as nice as gravy from drippings, but it does the trick to fill the craving.

Found it on my computer.

Onion Gravy

2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 bouillon cube (beef, chicken, pork, or vegetable)
    1 cup hot water
    2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with cold water to become a liquid
    salt and pepper

1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the onion and fry gently until really well-browned - this will give colour and flavour to the gravy.
    2. Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water and add to the saucepan. Add the blended cornstarch and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.

I got that from a British recipe for the gravy the serve with bangers, but I adjusted it from metric. I honestly think I use more butter and maybe 2 bouillon cubes. It's pretty good on meatloaf.

And then there's white gravy, which I never can get quite right. It always tastes too much like flour, or it thickens up too much.

edit

McJag's video was pretty much what I was thinking of. If I use flour and make a roux, that's what I do. If I use cornstarch, I always mix it with water.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I know this will make several people here cringe but you want a great gravy?

use bacon grease
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I didn't know there were gravy recipes....add flour to whatever fat and bits are in the pan from whatever meat's been cooked...whisk in warm water (but usually warm chicken stock) until it's the consistency I want, add salt and pepper. Yum.
    shedevilang likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Bacon grease is good. I know I have used it for white gravy before, I should try it for beef or chicken gravy. My aunt even used to make popcorn with bacon grease.
    ~Manx Mouse

You can use bacon grease even if you don't cook a meat and make a great gravy. Lawd, I would kill for some of my Grandmothers brown gravy and her buttermilk biscuits. There is nothing to compare! With her thick cut bacon...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information