Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hustle4alivin
  • 1 Post By McJag

Thread: Sweet Potato Cheesecake

Default Sweet Potato Cheesecake

Yep, it's that time of the year, and I decided to bake something that provides a somewhat unique twist on traditional Thanksgiving/Christmas dessert. A more earthy alternative to Pumpkin Cheesecake as well as combining a traditional southern dish with it.

Ingredients:

1 Graham Cracker Crust. I cheated and bought the Keebler brand ready-made crust for this batch that I had to make. Yes, I can make graham cracker crust, but wasn't in the mood to do that this week because I had too many pies to cook. A great recipe for Graham Cracker Crust can be found here

3 8 oz Packages of Cream Cheese

1 lb/16 oz of Pureed Sweet Potatoes (I used canned sweet potatoes for this recipe)

3 Large Eggs

1 Cup of White Granulated Sugar

1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract

3 Tbsp of Brown Sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon

1 Tsp Nutmeg

1 Tsp Ginger

1 Tbsp Orange Juice or Lemon Juice

1/4 Cup of Whipping Cream (Optional)

1/3 Cup of Sour Cream (Optional)

The Sour Cream and whipping cream is optional, but makes for a slightly creamier cheesecake. YMMV.

I also get pretty liberal with my cinnamon as well.

Step 1:

Preheat oven to 325 or 350 degrees. I've baked at 325 before, and the cheesecakes don't seem to crack as easily at that slightly lower temperature. I know next time!

Step 2:

Add cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract, beat on low speed until fluffy:

Step 3:

Add in eggs one at a time and beat until blended:

Steps 4 and 5:

Add sour cream and whipping cream and beat until blended into mixture:

Steps 6 and 7:

Open can of Sweet Potatoes, drain syrup and place sweet potatoes in food processor:

[

Step 8:

Add Brown Sugar, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ginger, and Orange Juice. Blend ingredients in food processor:

Step 9:

Blend Sweet Potato mixture into cream cheese mixture

Step 10:

Spoon mixture into crust:

Step 11:

Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes.

Step 12:

Wash dishes while the cheesecakes bake

Step 13:

Cool on wire rack for about an hour

Refrigerate for about 2-6 hours and cheesecake should be ready!

I've cooked several of these over the past few years and seem to get generally good feedback. I know there are recipes that have Pecan toppings, but I don't like using nuts in many of my recipes that I share with other people due to fear of allergies. I experimented with a Sour-Cream topping before that calls for 2 cups Sour Cream, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and some additional cinnamon that you can spread over the cheesecake filling after it cools down and bake it for about 5 more minutes. I thought it was a bit too sweet, so I skipped it this year.

Also, some cracks developed on the batch I made tonight, and I was thinking of sprinkling graham crackers crumbs and cinnamon on top of those pies. Suggestions?

I've made 4 pies so far, and I have two more to go (long story). I'm thinking about selling them for the christmas season as well as make eggnog cheesecake on down the road. I'll keep you all posted!
    gas_chick likes this.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

This is from the food chanel network:
    Question: I can make a pretty good cheesecake, but seem to have the same problem. No matter what kind of cheesecake that I make, the top ALWAYS has a deep crack in it soon after I take it out of the oven! What is the solution to this?? Thanks for your input!
    Sandy
    Answer: Cracks in cheesecake are a common problem, and you can find a variety of answers. They all boil down to the following: avoid over beating and over baking. You don’t want a lot of air in your batter, so just beat until smooth and stop. Add the eggs last, after everything is smooth, since they tend to hold air.
    To prevent over baking, stick to the recommended time, even though the center may still look moist (although not runny). You want your cheesecake to set for awhile before serving, and it will firm up. One method is to bake the cheesecake for 45 minutes and then turn the oven off, leaving the cheesecake in the over for another hour. Invert a plate over the cheesecake once it comes out of the oven to ensure slow, smooth cooling.
    You can also make a cheesecake with cornstarch or flour, as those tend to lessen cracking during baking. Try adding a tablespoon of flour per pound of cream cheese, at the same time you add sugar. One other safeguard you may want to try is baking your cheesecake in a water bath. Do do this, wrap the bottom of your pan in foil, then place it in a larger pan with water just halfway up the outside of your pan. Cook it slowly, at 325 degrees.
    A final idea – as your cheesecake begins to cool, use a knife to cut around the edge of the pan to free it, so that there is no resistance as it shrinks during cooling.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sounds awesome Hustle!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Thread Information