• 1 Post By SHELLEE
  • 3 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By hustle4alivin
  • 3 Post By greysfang
  • 1 Post By shedevilang

Thread: White Bean Chicken Chili

Default White Bean Chicken Chili

Original recipe is here, but I made some adjustments.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 med onions (chopped)

4 cloves garlic (minced)

1 7-oz cans chopped green chilies
    2-3 pieces of chicken

2 tsp ground cumin

1.5 tsp dried oregano (crumbled)

¼ tsp cayenne or crushed red pepper

3 16-oz cans, Great Northern beans
    (drained and rinsed)

6 cups chicken broth

Salt, pepper

Instead of Great Northern Beans, I used some Cannellini/White Kidney Beans and a can of navy beans that I had on hand, instead of onions, I used some leftover trinity/mirepoix (onions/bell peppers/celery) that I had in the freezer and I used some canned chicken that I had in my pantry. I also added a pinch of some smoked paprika from the farmers market that I wanted to try. I just sauteed everything in the pot I was cooking with because I do not have an iron skillet as the blog suggested. I am slightly editing the recipe from the blog to reflect these changes:

Prepare all the ingredients as listed above.

Heat the olive oil in the pot on medium-high heat

Add the chicken and onions, Wait until they’re translucent, then add garlic, chilies, chicken, cumin, oregano, paprika and hot pepper. Easy on the cayenne if this is you first time using it. After two minutes, add the beans and the chicken broth (I just used the whole box).

After bringing the mix to a boil, lower heat to a medium-low temperature and simmer for at least 2 hours. If it looks too dry add more broth to the mix.

VOILA!

The cayenne added a kick and spice to it, and the dish kept me warm over the cold snap we had here this week as well. I shared some with a friend of mine and he seemed to like it too (and he is the type to tell me otherwise if it didn't taste good).
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Yum, I'm doing this.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Sounds good! I'll give this one a try, Hustle. I bet I could get my Dad to eat this if I call it stew or something else. He'd like everything in it, but he's got a singleminded idea about what chili is.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

WHAT?? What kinda Southerner does not own a cast iron skillet??
    This is your assignment for tomorrow:
    Purchase a cast irom skillet (you can get at any supermarket) and a thing of solid Crisco. SOLID. Go home. Rinse off skillet briefly and dry. Spread thickly with Crisco. Turn oven to 250 degrees. Place skillet in said oven. You can put a layer of tinfoil under it. Leave skillet in oven all day. If necessary do again the next day. You will know when it starts looking like your Grandmothers. It should be very black matte finish.
    Now,use frequently. Never ever touch with soap. Rinse briefly & dry totally. This is a life long treasure.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

McJag, I didn't read your response until it showed up on the recipe I printed. LOL Hustle, I totally agree, a cast iron skillet or pot is an important investment. You can pick up an old, seasoned one at a yard sale and there will be nothing wrong with it. The older the better. I would not part with my cast iron cookware. Also, I got a new cast iron dutch oven from the store a while back and they had weird set of instructions that aren't like the classic ones I always knew that McJag described. If you get new cast iron, see what the directions say, but otherwise do exactly what McJag said. No soap.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

That looks awsome. I shall try it very soon, like probably tomorrow.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I cheat and buy a spice kit from McCormick and we love this shit, I'm glad you posted this I've been wondering how to make it from scratch.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Hey Hustle! That recipe was great! I cooked it for my mom and dad when they went to church. It was nice spending the afternoon cooking this while watching Georgia beat Ole Miss. I didn't read the original recipe you linked to, so I just went by yours. They didn't have any bell peppers or celery at the time though, so I left them out. I debated about the cayenne and ultimately decided to add the whole 1/4 teaspoon. My mom and dad loved it, but it was a little spicy for him (acid reflux kind of stuff). (Not too spicy for me though.) So next time I make it for him, I'll cut the amount of cayenne in half. I added regular paprika, just a teaspoon or so I think it was? My mom had left out some chicken pieces on the counter - breasts and wings in a brine, so when I came in I just assumed that's how much chicken she wanted in there. I just stuck them all in, but when she got back it was all, "You didn't use ALL the chicken did you?" Haha. Oh well. So there was a lot of chicken. I just let it cook through and then took it out, shredded it, and threw it back in the pot.

My pics look pretty much like yours, but I took some so I thought I'd share.
    This is my newer cast iron dutch oven. I think it's treated differently than they usually do.

See? Way too much chicken.

I think this was right before it was done.
    hustle4alivin, McJag and *DIVA! like this.

Nice job waterslide, it looks awsome. I'm now starving.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I actually grabbed two cans of white kidney beans and one of green chiles last night so i can try this. Will probably make Friday or Saturday.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Great job Waterslide!

Greysfang, let us know how it tastes!
    Waterslide likes this.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Yum i want some!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

BTW, this is freakin' fantastic with leftover turkey too. I made a giant pot on Saturday and its gone already. I was mad too because I was going to bring some to work today for lunch.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I put a can of corn in mine, and it's really good over tortilla chips and sprinkled with cheese like a white chilli frito pie lol
    Waterslide likes this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    I put a can of corn in mine, and it's really good over tortilla chips and sprinkled with cheese like a white chilli frito pie lol
    That sounds good! Now I want to make this again...

Thread Information