• 1 Post By Sasha
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 3 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Laurent
  • 1 Post By Waterslide

Thread: Pink Lemonade Ombre Cake with Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting

Default Pink Lemonade Ombre Cake with Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting

Pink Lemonade Ombre Cake with Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting

It is a bit early but I just had to post a blog of Kenzie’s birthday cake.
    Okay…technically it isn’t her ‘birthday” birthday cake.
    This is the cake I made for the family dinner we had to celebrate her 16th birthday. Sue and I will be doing a post in a week or so of Kenzie’s REAL birthday. Sue is going all out for Kenz’s big 1-6 and I get to help! Be sure to check back after June 28th to see some party and food pics!
    For now though…. I wanted to make something really “girly” and pink for Kenz. I decided on a pink lemonade cake. Then I decided to up it a notch and do an ombre cake, just to see if I could.
    I got the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine but did make a few little changes.

Pink Lemonade Cake with Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting
    Ingredients
    Cake
    3 1/3 cup flour
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    Pinch salt
    1 cup butter, room temp
    2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    Red food coloring
    1 1/3 cups milk
    ¼ cup pink lemonade concentrate
    1 tsp lemon extract
    Frosting
    ½ cup butter, room temp
    1 cup cream cheese, room temp
    1 cup marshmallow creme (or fluff)
    ¼ cup pink lemonade concentrate
    Red food coloring
    4 cups icing sugar

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 2 X 9 inch pans with cooking spray. (I also like to line the bottom of my pans with parchment paper and give them another quick spray.) Set aside.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
    In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar and beat until well combined, scraping sides of bowl as you go. Beat in 1/8 tsp food coloring. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
    In a small bowl, stir together milk, pink lemonade concentrate, and lemon extract. (Mixture will appear curdled)
    Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter mixture, beating until combined. Divide batter in half. To half of the mixture add another 1/8 tsp food coloring.

Varying the pinkness.

Scrape into prepared pans. Bake at 350 for about 30 – 35 minutes. (Until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.) Remove from oven and let cool in pans for 5 minutes before inverting onto wire rack to cool completely.

Frosting - Beat the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in marshmallow cream. Add pink lemonade concentrate and food coloring and beat until combined. Very slowly add the icing sugar until you reached spreading consistency. You made to add more or less concentrate or icing sugar to get it where you want it.

Now…in my head I imagined this being a really small cake and I wanted to make a BIG cake…so…I doubled the recipe. Hmmmmm… yeah…..I got a big cake. I needed 5 cake pans. I only used 4 layers for her cake and it was ginormous. I just repeated the above steps twice and then added more food coloring the second time around to get deeper pink colors. I think I doubled the frosting too.
    You can see the layers are cut in half. I changed my mind about icing all 8 layers and just went with 4 iced layers.
    I initially cut each layer in half and was going to frost between each of the layers so it would be an 8 layer cake…but then decided it may be too sweet with all that icing between the layers and such and just went with 4 big layers. (In hindsight, I think it may have looked even cooler if I had done the 8 layers… but it was still pretty cool.)
    I couldn't get it smooth....aaaarg!

I couldn’t decide how I wanted to finish off the frosting. Initially I was hoping to get it nice and smooth...
    but that didn’t work….so then I was going to cover it in fake flowers…but that looked terrible…so then Sue suggested making it fluffy by lightly stabbing it all over with a fork. I think the end result looked really cool. It almost looked like it was covered in coconut. We did leave some fake flowers around the bottom though just to fancy it up. Do you like the plate it is on? Nice, right? I got that for 50 cents at a garage sale.

Yay!
    I thought it turned out really pretty. Kenzie was happy with it so that was the most important thing.
    FYI – only double this if you need a really, really BIG cake. We fed 20 people at her dinner, left ¼ of it for the restaurant staff, and I brought ¼ of to work the next day.

Kenzie with her "small piece" piece of birthday cake. Hehehe - it doesn't even fit on the plate!

I hope you come back at the end of the month and check out Kenzie’s birthday party pics and food ideas. Her theme is purple, black, and white. (UPDATE: Click here to see party pics!)

Head over to My Turn (for us) for more great ideas.
    Don't forget about Heatherly Loves!

Posted by Jo and Sue
    Jo and Sue: Pink Lemonade Ombre Cake with Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting
    Free Charmed.

I love pink lemonade. Plus, cream cheese icing? Yum. Thanks for posting, Nov.
    Novice likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I love lemon cakes! This is so pretty. I'm going to bookmark this one, too. I'm looking for new cake recipes, too.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

You should have seen my face when I read this title, I went from smiling to very serious. I must eat this cake. This sounds so good, I will try it. Thanks.

that sounds awesome. I'm saving it. Thanks Nov!
    Novice likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

When i'm having a really bad dry spell I am gonna make that frosting and just eat it out of the bowl with a wooden spoon.
    Sasha likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sleuth likes this.

I am totally making this cake. And I want to smack her for not leveling her layers.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Thank you for posting! I'm gonna make this. Maybe three layers instead of four lol...
    Lalique likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

This sounds soooo good! I'm sure PB would approve
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Sorry I never came and said I made this cake! It was really, really good. I did not make all the layers because I do not know that many people who will eat that much cake, so I used the original recipe that makes a normal sized cake. I don't remember anything going awry during the baking process. My main complaint was that the pink lemonade concentrate I used was not tart enough. I think pink lemonade usually has a little bit of grapefruit juice in it to make it pink. I HATE grapefruit, but I love it in pink lemonade and was expecting that slightly bitter tartness to show up in the frosting, but the stuff I used had no grapefruit juice in it. It was more like "pink lemonade flavor" concentrate. Just had lemons and other "filler" fruits like grapes to make it pink. Maybe next time I make it, I will use a little grapefruit juice in the recipe. But if that doesn't matter to you, the cake is really good as is. The cake itself is that word everyone hates so I'll say...it's definitely not dry, and it's very dense. Not as light an airy as angel food cake or cake you make out of a box. The cake had a wonderful flavor and the frosting, despite the tartness issue, was really good and it was really easy to spread so I didn't make a mess of it when I went to frost it.

I would have loved to be all creative and made all the different colored layers, but it was hot and humid here the day I made it so I was lucky one layer stuck on top of the other.

I tried to decorate the cake like the original picture shows, and this was as good as it got. It was very, very humid and there wasn't much I could do in terms of making it pretty.

I sprinkled pink sugar on it, but you can't really tell.

The difference in the layer colors turned out way more subtly than I hoped. If you make the single recipe of the cake, I would make the dark layer darker with however much more food color it looks like it needs. You can also see how wet the frosting still is at this point and it had been in the fridge for a little while.

I would definitely make it again. Thanks again Novice for sharing the recipe!
    DeadDwarf, Laurent and Novice like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

It turned out really well, WS! And even with just two layers, it still looks like a generously sized cake.
    Waterslide likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Thanks, Laurent! It's definitely a huge cake. Even after giving over half of it away, there was a ton left.

One other thing I forgot, I tend to assume I won't have enough frosting for the middle layers of cake which is why it looks like there is next to nothing in the middle. There is definitely enough frosting in this recipe where you can put a generous amount in the middle layer, and definitely more than I did in these pics.
    Laurent likes this.

Thread Information