4, 6oz Pieces of Filet Mignon

10 Cloves of Garlic, grated

Cup of Horseradish Root, grated

Cup of Coarse GroundDijonMustard

3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

2 Tablespoons of Fresh Ground Black Pepper

1 Tablespoon of Sea Salt

1 Tablespoon of Butter

I was lucky enough to receive filets pre-wrapped in bacon from Omaha Steaks. If you are not so lucky to have access to pre-wrapped steaks, fret not. Just take a slice of thick center cut bacon and wrap it (not too tightly) around the filet. Secure the end with either a metal pin or a toothpick. Then you are ready to rock and roll!

Peel the cloves of garlic. Grate the cloves using a microplane. If you don’t feel like going through the trouble of grating cloves of garlic, use about two tablespoons of grated prepared garlic instead.

I like the fresh horseradish root. I keep a giant root in my refrigerator most of the time. It can also be frozen. If I have one on hand, I find myself adding it to everything! In order to get a cup of grated horseradish, you need to cut off a rather large piece. If you look at the root from the cut edge, you will see an outer ring. Peel or slice the skin and interior ring off. Then grate the root until you end up with a cup of grated horseradish. You can also skin this all together and use the prepared stuff if you are crunched for time.

Combine the horseradish, garlic, mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Mix into a paste using a spoon. NOTE: This marinade/crust is also great on any other kind of steak. Seriously.

Place a tablespoon or two of the paste on the bottom of a Pyrex dish. Place the filets on top of the marinade paste. Spoon the remaining mixture on to the tops of the filets and spread it out into an even layer. Wrap the Pyrex dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes at least and up to two hours before cooking.

Set the broiler on high. Keep the oven door cracked open. When the oven feels hot place a ceramic dish or cast iron skillet inside and shut the oven door. After two minutes add the tablespoon of butter to the dish and return it to the oven.

When the butter has melted, remove the dish from the oven, and add the steaks top side down into the dish. Return the dish to the oven. Keep the oven door cracked open.

Cook the first side for eight minutes. Remove the dish and gingerly turn the steaks over, being sure not to lose any of the crust. Return the dish to the oven and broil for 8 more minutes with the oven door cracked open. This will give you a perfect medium filet. Adjust the cook time based upon your personal preference.

When the filets are done the crust will be perfect and dark golden. The bacon will be slightly chewy and crisp on the edges. Let the filets rest for five minutes before serving.

Garlic and Horseradish Crusted Bacon Wrapped Filets
    Free Charmed.

You're on a roll today Novice. Those look awesome, but I'm always a little hesitant to do anything wrapped in bacon (except boursin stuffed dates) because the bacon never gets cooked through and wasting bacon seems like a punishable offense.

LOVE fresh horseradish, but it's sold too big to use very often, wasteful in my kitchen.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Really? I don't find an issue with the bacon cooking, but then I cremate most things

Regarding the horseradish, could you prepare it (e.g. grate it) and then freeze it?
    Free Charmed.

Overcooked steak makes me very sad. I suppose I could give bacon a little head start in the microwave and then wrap. I don't really have any need for my finger prints in the future.

Yes, if I were organized, or planned ahead I could pre-grate. I do go through a number of bottles of the prepared horseradish during a football season.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Novice, my ass has gotten wider just from reading these threads today. This sounds marvelous, and I'm not even a big fan of horseradish.

I also have no idea where I'd find a real horseradish.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I hate overcooked steak too but MrN loves is. Strangely enough I manage not to cremate decent steak.
    Pls don't microwave the bacon, it'll still be pink, can't you grill it a little first (is that broil to you?).

I love sentences that start "If I was organised".... makes me feel at home! I love horseradish too but I don't think I've had it as a veg just as pre-made sauce.

Good news about your ass Greys!
    Free Charmed.

i can eat horseradish on anything. fucking love it.
    you're making me so hungry today, novice. i'm going out to buy lunch.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Novice, my ass has gotten wider just from reading these threads today. This sounds marvelous, and I'm not even a big fan of horseradish.

I also have no idea where I'd find a real horseradish.
    It shows up in our grocery stores in the fall. Roseauer's generally carries starting in late October through the holidays. It's huge and looks a little durrrty, a little goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I hate overcooked steak too but MrN loves is. Strangely enough I manage not to cremate decent steak.
    Pls don't microwave the bacon, it'll still be pink, can't you grill it a little first (is that broil to you?).

I love sentences that start "If I was organised".... makes me feel at home! I love horseradish too but I don't think I've had it as a veg just as pre-made sauce.

Good news about your ass Greys!
    I think as a veg it would be very overwhelming. Every year I try to make a homemade sauce, but never quite do it right. But I love to crust the Christmas Eve beast with freshly grated horseradish, helps make that awesome crust, that's almost the whole point of roasting meat for hours on end.

(I did mangle the hell out of the organized sentence didn't I?)

I'm a horseradish fiend!!! I rarely see fresh horseradish at the store, but there are a few local places that make really strong stuff as long as I use it up quickly.

As for the bacon issue, if I'm reading that right, the steaks are in the oven 16 minutes, that should cook the bacon through, I would think. I've cheated before and partially cooked the bacon first, but I think in this recipe it should be cooked sufficiently. I think?

The steak looks so good, Novice, thanks for all the recipe threads!
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I love horseradish. On a roast beef sandwich it's heaven. These steaks look really good.
    Charmed Hour likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Novice, are you on a diet perchance?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    As for the bacon issue, if I'm reading that right, the steaks are in the oven 16 minutes, that should cook the bacon through, I would think. I've cheated before and partially cooked the bacon first, but I think in this recipe it should be cooked sufficiently. I think?

The steak looks so good, Novice, thanks for all the recipe threads!

Unless the filets are at least 2 inches, 16 minutes will probably be too long. Unless you're one of those people who ruins perfectly good steak with over-cooking.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Unless the filets are at least 2 inches, 16 minutes will probably be too long. Unless you're one of those people who ruins perfectly good steak with over-cooking.
    LOL, no...I'm so picky about my steaks it drives everyone I know up the wall. I'm more likely to eat it out of the store package raw than eat one that's overcooked. If it's cooked more than medium rare, I won't eat it. I'm horrible about it, but honestly it literally turns my stomach.

But going by the recipe, it says 16 minutes for a medium steak. So, I was going to shave off a bunch of time anyway, so yeah, maybe the bacon won't be done. I'm not sure. I usually grill steaks, and just kind of put the bacon over the flame to cook it through.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Thread Information