Thread: Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

Beyond Caring, then hang a left.

Default Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos

by Chocolate-Covered Katie on August 1, 2011

Starbucks is Everywhere.
    Taking over the world with their muffins, their macchiatos, their passion teas… And, of course, their signature coffee Frappuccinos.
    Here’s a scary fact: one Starbucks Frappuccino contains 50 grams of sugar. That’s more than twice the recommended intake for an entire day. The number is higher for a venti, and it doesn’t even include whipped cream. (According to the Starbucks website, even their lite Frappuccino somehow contains 23g of sugar.)
    This drink was screaming for a Healthy Dessert Makeover.
    (Not to mention, my version is much cheaper than $4 for one drink!)

Can you believe this is sugar-free?!
    Healthy Frappuccinos
    (Serves 2)

• 2 cups milk of choice
    • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 2 tsp instant coffee (I use Mt. Hagen decaf, but regular is ok too.)
    • 1/16 tsp salt (don’t omit)
    • sweetener, such as 3 nunaturals stevia packets (or 2-3 tablespoons sugar)
    • optional: a reader suggested adding 1-2 tsp fruit pectin for even extra thickness

Mix the ingredients together in 1 or 2 shallow plastic containers. Freeze. (You could also use an ice cube tray.) Once frozen, pop the blocks out of the containers. Thaw until just soft enough for your blender to be able to handle it. Blend each serving individually, until desired slushiness is reached. Add extra sweetener if needed, but do NOT add ice! It will dilute the flavor. Pour into two glasses and enjoy.
    Click the following for this recipe’s Nutritional Info.
    Also, I calculated that this recipe makes eight drinks for the price of about $3!

Feel free to add cocoa, cinnamon, berries, chai, banana, or other flavors if you wish.

**Important: With this post, I don’t mean to imply that it’s a horrible and sinful thing to drink a Frappuccino once in a while! I simply wanted to give out a healthier—and cheaper—alternative in case anyone is interested in a lower-sugar, cheaper option (See nutrition comparison here).
    Even if you do try my recipe, it certainly doesn’t mean you are never allowed to indulge in a real Frappuccino ever again (although you might not want to; all of my testers said these were just as good as the real thing!).
    Since you just saved all that sugar, why not go crazy and…

Along with your drink, have a few Girl-Scout Cookie Truffles.
    Oh wait, they’re sugar-free too. Who says you can’t be healthy and still eat delicious food?!
    Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos
    Free Charmed.

Your Pocket

Nice! Love to try this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

In Starbucks here I just order a frapuccino mix with aspartame and soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant). I take it without any whipped cream or syrup and it's good stuff. Not sure how much sugar there is in it, though.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Ooh these look lovely! I do love a frappuccino (even if I feel a bit Brittersish) but they're so bad for you that I feel a bit sick afterwards, even after a small with soy milk. I wonder if this would work with their strawberry frappe drinks and whatnot. Time for an experiment!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Thread Information