Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Love love
  • 1 Post By KrisNine

Thread: Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Default Cauliflower Crust Pizza

cauliflower crust pizza
    Serves 2; Adapted from Your Lighter Side.

ingredients:
    1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    olive oil (optional)
    pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*

directions:
    To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
    Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes (some microwaves are more powerful than others, so you may need to reduce this cooking time). There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.
    One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
    To Make the Pizza Crust:
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
    In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
    Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
    Enjoy!
    *Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.

Eat. Drink. Smile. » Cauliflower Crust Pizza
    Laurent and McJag like this.

Bronze Member

mmmmm that actually looks good.

Don't know what the texture would be like though??
    having a baby will do that to you...

fgg

thank you for posting! i really want to try this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I have thought of doing this so many times---it DOES look delish! But I wonder if my kids would totally balk....and maybe even the hub.

So I have been sticking w/super thin whole grain 'Naan' breads for crusts. We can each make our own pizza's. Not the same I know.

Please let know if someone tries this!!!!!!

That looks really good! I often use mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I have thought of doing this so many times---it DOES look delish! But I wonder if my kids would totally balk....and maybe even the hub.

So I have been sticking w/super thin whole grain 'Naan' breads for crusts. We can each make our own pizza's. Not the same I know.

I've made it twice and honestly, you don't even realize you're eating cauliflower. I made it for my boyfriend and he enjoyed it. The problem I encountered both times was the crust burning a bit but I think that has more to do with my crappy oven.

I'm picky about pizza and this honestly looks really good.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Ah I've been meaning to try cauli pizza base! It looks really good. Low carb *sigh*
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    That looks really good! I often use mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes.
    I've done that a few times, especially when I make a fish dish. I grilled salmon one night and served it with sautéed spinach and mashed cauliflower. Honestly, it was better than mashed potatoes because the cauliflower is lighter in taste and texture.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post

I've done the same with naan. We love it and so does the kidlet.

I want to try this crust. I've been cooking all meals at home these days and need a yummy change.
    McJag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I've done that a few times, especially when I make a fish dish. I grilled salmon one night and served it with sautéed spinach and mashed cauliflower. Honestly, it was better than mashed potatoes because the cauliflower is lighter in taste and texture.

That sounds perfect! I'm coming to your house for dinner.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I made this late last night and really loved it. I made a few variations due to what I had in the house. I added some Parmesan to the cauliflower and cheese mixture along with sage and basil. I didn't have pizza sauce so I used light alfredo sauce. Stuck some microwaved frozen spinach on there and it was perfect. The only thing I did wrong was that the edges did get a little too black. Next time, I'm going to try to set my broiler on low and/or bake a little less time. The fact it got too dark on the edges probably has more to do with my oven than anything else.

I one time tried to make my own naan bread...that was an amusing experience. It turned out edible, and tasted fine, but nothing like naan bread.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Thread Information