Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Lace Cookies by Special Request

Default French Lace Cookies by Special Request

Special request of CZB and Novice! This is a family recipe that we always make and I am happy to share.

Heat oven to 325 degrees first.

1/2 cup light Karo

1/2 cup butter

2/3 cup sugar

1 cup flour

1 cup finely chopped nuts (I use pecans)

Combine butter, corn syrup and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Gradually blend in flour and nuts.

Drop by teaspoons on a greased cookie sheet 3" apart. NO CLOSER.

Bake at 325 degrees for 8-10 mnutes until golden brown & bubbly around edges.

Cool 1 minute. Yes,one. Remove carefully from cookie sheet one at a time
    and fold over a wooden spoon handle. If any cookie gets too hard, just put back in oven a minute.

They are so pretty just like that. My Aunt sometimes dips both ends of the cookie in chocolate, also very popular.

This is my rule: if you mess up any and they don't look right, you must eat the evidence right away.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sounds yummy. I'll wait for next year though, I am so done baking. Thanks for posting!

Is Karo the light corn Syrup? Can I use golden syrup instead? I might make these tomorrow McJag, they sound yummy. Thankyousomuch!
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Is Karo the light corn Syrup? Can I use golden syrup instead? I might make these tomorrow McJag, they sound yummy. Thankyousomuch!
    I think so. That is cane syrup instread of corn syrup, should be the same or have the same effect. The real flavor comes from the nuts, anyway. I hope you do try them, they are so much fun to make!
    One thought-Karo is pretty thick. Is golden syurp?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah it's kind of like golden-colored treacle. I'll be sure to report back if I make them...
    Free Charmed.

This is pretty much the same recipe I have but we add maple extract and roll them up. Wish I hadn't seen this since now I want to make them.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Has any one made these? Pics??? Tastes??? Pretty please?
    Free Charmed.

Me! Yummy is the best taste description. I thought you were going to try them??

Yeah, I'm going to except with the bereavement & now MrN has a really horrible chest infection/flu/virus/temperature/etc, I'm run raggedy looking after him... I made him some rhubarb crumble (his face) & he didn't eat it... these are gonna have to wait a little while, I'm afraid.
    Free Charmed.

Yeah, I'm going to except with the bereavement & now MrN has a really horrible chest infection/flu/virus/temperature/etc, I'm run raggedy looking after him... I made him some rhubarb crumble (his face) & he didn't eat it... these are gonna have to wait a little while, I'm afraid.
    Did you try that sugar/onion stuff from the homemade stuff thread? Several people said it worked. I lack the nerve to try it.

McJag, I made these yesterday and they were wonderful! So easy and they have a great chewy, crunchy texture. I used walnuts because that was all I had in the house but they came out delish.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    McJag, I made these yesterday and they were wonderful! So easy and they have a great chewy, crunchy texture. I used walnuts because that was all I had in the house but they came out delish.
    Aren't they fun to make? I am sure walnuts would be great & one of these days I want to try almonds. Thing is, I am in pecan country & always need to use up some.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Did you try that sugar/onion stuff from the homemade stuff thread? Several people said it worked. I lack the nerve to try it.
    I figure if he has a temperature of 100-102 the way to go is paracetamol & antibiotics to kill the infection (along with his stomach flora - hence the yogurt, etc).
    Free Charmed.

I figure if he has a temperature of 100-102 the way to go is paracetamol & antibiotics to kill the infection (along with his stomach flora - hence the yogurt, etc).
    Oh,yes! I think the sugar/onion would just be a back up to antibiotics. I shudder to think how that would effect stomach flora.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Aren't they fun to make? I am sure walnuts would be great & one of these days I want to try almonds. Thing is, I am in pecan country & always need to use up some.

Oooooooh Pecans... yummmmmmm!

I've made lace cookies in the past using ground almonds. Wrapped into cone shape, filled the inside with cream cheese butter frosting.
    Using pecans, I imagine would make caramel fudge frosting.

k... i'm hungry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information