Thread: Gazpacho

Default Gazpacho

I love Gazpacho. It seems that whenever I have made it, someone always has to say."this is just like a watery salsa" Fools! My personal favorite way to make it is to blend it all up with a hand blender...and add a few spashes of vodka! . Anyone else like Gazpacho, have any comments on it, or any special recipes???

***well whomever moved it to recipes, you could have at least made a comment! LOL! hehehe***
    Last edited by Sojiita; April 21st, 2006 at 10:42 PM.

Default Re: Gazpacho

It's something I'd really like to try. I've never had it. Do you have a recipe (I got the vodka part, what comes before it, LOL)?
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Gazpacho
    Serves 4 - 6
    This full-bodied version of contemporary gazpacho is best at the peak of harvest, when all of the vegetables are dazzlingly ripe. And on a hot day, there is nothing more refreshing.

4 or 5 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 serrano pepper, minced
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    2 lemon cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 ripe but slightly firm avocado, peeled and diced
    4 cups light beef stock or chicken stock
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons medium-acid red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsely
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    kosher salt and black pepper in a mill
    1/2 cup best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
    Combine all of the vegetables in a large bowl. Add the stock, lemon juice and vinegar and stir very briefly. Stir in the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill the soup for at least one hour before serving. Remove from the refrigerator, stir, let rest for 15 minutes and then pour the olive oil over the soup and serve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Gazpacho
    Serves 4 - 6
    Certain varieties of golden tomatoes have a rich, velvety texture; this soup highlights that luscious quality.

4 or 5 ripe golden or orange tomatoes
    3 cups homemade chicken stock
    1 small red onion, minced
    2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
    juice of 1 lime
    kosher salt and black pepper in a mill
    1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
    4 tablespoons best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh minced chives
    Peel the tomatoes and gently remove their seeds. Chop the tomato flesh very finely or pass it through a food mill (do not puree in a blender or processor) and place it in a large bowl. Stir in the stock, onion, garlic and lime juice. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the avocado and chill the soup for at least one hour. Remove the soup from the refrigerator, ladle into soup bowls, and top each serving with a generous tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkling of chives.

above two recipes:
    Copyright 1996 by Michele Anna Jordan, author of the Good Cook's Book of Tomatoes. All Rights Reserved. Reprinted with permission.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A vegetarian recipe: (also you could just not do the food processing part, or not process too finely)

INGREDIENTS

1 small sweet onion, quartered
    1 large green bell pepper, seeded and quartered
    2 medium cucumbers, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
    1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
    3 large cloves garlic, peeled
    2 large fresh ripe tomatoes, quartered
    2 cups tomato juice, or use canned whole tomatoes with their juices
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Hot sauce (optional)
    Place the onion, pepper, cucumbers, garlic and fresh tomatoes in a processor; process until very finely chopped. Add the tomato juice, basil, salt, pepper, vinegar, olive oil and optional hot sauce. Process until soup is the desired texture. Taste for seasoning; chill for at least one hour before serving. If desired, garnish with finely chopped cucumber or whole basil leaves.

Notes: If the soup is too thick, stir in more tomato juice. If desired, use all fresh tomatoes and omit the juice entirely.

***a few spashes of vodka always helps IMO..hehehe***
    Also I have always substituted a vegetable stock/juice for the chicken or beef stocks and I have always felt it made no big difference.

A*O

Meh - forget all that. Just have a Bloody Mary with all the trimmings.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    Meh - forget all that. Just have a Bloody Mary with all the trimmings.
    spoil sport! Anyhoo you can have fun and get alot of those little glass or ceramic containers to put the chopped ingredients in..and then you can toss them in one by one just like the 'food show' people do! **the cameras are on ya..you are the star!!!**

I love gazpacho in the summer when it is too hot to cook and the tomatoes in the garden are ripe. I'm in the midst of a kitchen reno at the moment, so I have no idea where my recipe is. I'll try to dig it up (by summer at the latest!).

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I've never made gazpacho for some unknown reason, but will try at least one of these recipes. I'm going to Spain in June so may try to score some there, too. And Soj, I couldn't get on here much yesterday so NoDay must have moved your thread. Thanks NoDay!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I've had gazpacho at plenty of restaurants but never made it. Another favorite soup is tortilla soup. Must dig up a good recipe for it!

I LOVE tortilla soup. Never actually made it, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    I've never made gazpacho for some unknown reason, but will try at least one of these recipes. I'm going to Spain in June so may try to score some there, too. And Soj, I couldn't get on here much yesterday so NoDay must have moved your thread. Thanks NoDay!
    No problem about the thread being moved! lol..I was just wondering thats all. The red version sounds like it would taste and look good..especially with garnishes..would be colorful! I may have to try that version. The ingredients are not really expensive, are they(thank god)..lol.

Thread Information