Thread: Cajun Recipes

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Default Cajun Recipes

Some from my family and some from a cookbook I was given that was written a century ago. The very old cookbook starts with these quaint yet racist words ~ "A friend of mine, in the South, once said to me, that the surrender at Appomatox had brought about two serious calamities - an end to duelling and the disappearance of the colored cook." (Please no insult intended to anyone on the board of any color, this is the idiotic statement in the book.)

I'm sorting through family recipes and this book and will be posting a couple of new recipes a day here in this thread starting with a jelly for maintaining good health "Creme D'Orge" and "Chicken and Okra Gumbo". Italics are for my guesstimates as to modern measurements/temps/times. I remember being given spoonfuls of Creme D'Orge whenever I was ill as a small child. Both recipes are out of the old cookbook.

Creme D'Orge
    One pound of lean veal, one pound of lean beef, and two ounces of pearl barley. Put them into a quart of cold water and let it boil down to a pint. Rub all through a sieve. As it cools down it will form a jelly. Use a spoonful of this strenghtening jelly when required for illness.
    Chicken and Okra Gumbo

Put in a saucepan a spoonful of pure lard and one of flour. Stir it well until it is of a light brown. Chop an onion into small pieces and throw them in. Cut up a fat capon or chicken and put into the saucepan with the flour/lard roux. Stir it all the while until the chicken is nearly done. When the whole is well browned, add a slice of cut up ham or cut up sausages. Thow in two or three pods of red pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon ground I would guess) and salt to your taste. Then add a quart of boiling water, and leave it on the fire for two hours and a half (modern equivilant is simmer for about half that.) During that time you cut up a cup of fresh okra. Put it in the saucepan with the other ingredients and six chopped up fresh tomatoes. Skim the grease off after a few hours and serve over dry rice.
    Shrimp Creole (you can subsitute chicken)

1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp all purpose flour
    1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
    1 1/2 cup onion chopped
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    1/2 dried parsley or a cup of fresh
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined
    1/2 cup tomato paste
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 cup water

In a skillet heat oil. Add flour and stir on medium heat until flour begins to brown. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, parsley cayenne, black pepper and salt. Simmer on medium heat until onion is limp and clear. Add shrimp and cook until pink, Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, water and stir well. Simmer 20 minutes on low heat and serve over rice.

Crawfish Sausage Jambalaya

1/4 pound butter (one stick)
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    3 tbsp minced garlic
    1/4 fresh parsley chopped
    1/2 cup green onion chopped
    4 fresh tomatoes, peeled and sliced
    1/4 tomato paste
    3 oz poultry stock or water
    1 lb smoked pork sausage sliced 1/4 thick slices
    1 lb peeled crawfish tails (you can subsitute shrimp or chicken if you like)
    4 cups cooked rice
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

In a skillet melt butter on medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, parsley and green onions. Saute until onion is clear. Add tomatoes, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste, poultry stock/water and stir till even consistency. Add sausage, cover and simmer 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add crawfish tails and stir. Simmer 5 minutes (15 if you're using chicken) then add rice, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix in well, over and simmer 2 minutes and serve.

Default Re: Cajun Recipes

Two more -

Crawfish Etouffee

1 lb real butter
    3 large onions chopped
    2 bell peppers chopped
    2 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp red pepper
    1/2 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 oz crawfish fat
    1 cup water
    2 lb crawfish tails (cooked and peeled: no shells)
    1 cup green onions finely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped parsley

Melt butter in heavy pot. Add onions and bell pepper and saute over meduim high heat for approximately 45 minutes. Brown and scrape bottom. Reduce heat to medium low and add salt, peppers and water. Stir and simmer for 30 minutes. Raise heat to medium and stir in crawfish and crawfish fat. Cook for ten minutes. Then add green onions and parsley. Cook for five minutes. Serve over rice.

Shrimp Gumbo

1 green bell pepper
    4 garlic buds crushed
    4 medium onions
    2 lbs shrimp
    4 celery stalks
    1 cup tomato paste
    1 bag frozen okra
    Roux

Make roux (1/2 cup flour mixed with 1/2 cup oil browned in skillet) Chop vegetables and cook down. Add tomato paste to vegetables/roux mixture with one gallon of water. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours. Turn off heat and add shrimp. Leave covered for 45 minutes. Heat from gumbo will cook shrimp without overcooking.

Is there anything you can substitute for okra? I find okra just so slimey.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Just omit the okra if you don't like it. It will turn out just the same. You will need to add a teaspoon of gumbo file powder if you don't use okra to get the right consistency of liquid.

Oh, ok, thanks.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb dried red kidney beans washed and soaked overnight
    2 onions chopped
    6 stalks celery with the leaves on chopped
    2 bay leafs crushed
    1 lb sausage cut into slices
    1 lb ham cubed
    1/4 cup dried parsley
    red pepper, tabasco, black pepper and salt to taste

Pour off water that the beans soaked overnight in and fill large pot with beans and water. Add celery, onions, parsley and bay leafs and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to simmer and simmer a few hours. Add meat and continue to simmer until beans are soft and creamy, adding water as needed. Season to taste and serve over rice with a side of corn bread.

Dirty Rice

2-3 tbsp bacon fat or olive oil
    1 lb ground pork
    1 lb ground beef
    2 cups onions chopped
    1/2 cup celery chopped
    1/2 cup green onion chopped
    1 cup fresh parsley chopped
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    6 cups cooked rice
    salt, pepper, red pepper and tabasco to taste

Place bacon fat in pot. Add ground meats. Cook slowly until brown and tender. Add onions, celery, green onions and parsley. Smother down until vegetables are tender and browned. Stir in salt and seasonings. Add chicken stock and simmer until meat is thoroughly cooked. Add cooked rice to mixture and blend well.

^^ Gator, are you trying to sabotage my diet posting all these delicious recipes? I absolutely love Cajun food....

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze
    ^^ Gator, are you trying to sabotage my diet posting all these delicious recipes? I absolutely love Cajun food....
    UCG needs to make these and the Tortilla Soup and send it to us!!! We will pay her for it...won't we???

Thread Information