Thread: Bacon & Cheese Puffs

Default Bacon & Cheese Puffs

Bacon and Cheese Puffs

September 20th, 2011Appetizer, Baking Recipes, Bread / Pastry, Recipes30 Comments

Bacon and Cheese Puffs pictures (1 of 6)
    Next
    Back

I love making choux pastry. It is one of the easiest type of pastries that you can make at home. It is usually eaten sweet as a dessert, filled with pastry cream, Chantilly cream or ice cream. However, savory choux puffs are equally delicious.
    I have used the basic choux pastry recipe from the Daring Bakers’ challenge last year and added 1/2 cup each of the diced bacon and the grated cheese in this bacon and cheese puffs recipe. You can replace the bacon with ham or add some herbs.

These bacon and cheese puffs make excellent finger food for a party or snack and I like to dip mine in chipotle mayonnaise. Totally yummilicious!

print Bacon and Cheese Puffs Recipe
    Makes about 24
    INGREDIENTS:
    ¾ cup (175 ml) water
    6 tablespoons (85 g) unsalted butter
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup diced bacon, lightly shallow fried
    1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used Gouda cheese)
    METHOD:
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 425◦F/220◦C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
    2. Preparing the batter: Combine the water, butter and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. At boil, remove from heat and sift in the flour, stirring to combine completely.
    3. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until the batter dries slightly and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
    4. Transfer to a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon for 1 minute to cool slightly.
    5. Add 1 egg. The batter will appear loose and shiny.
    6. As you stir, the batter will become dry-looking like lightly buttered mashed potatoes.
    7. It is at this point that you will add in the next egg. Repeat until you have incorporated all the eggs.
    8. Gently stir in the diced bacon and grated cheese.
    9. Transfer the batter to a piping bag fitted with a large open tip. Pipe choux about 1 inch apart in the baking sheets. Choux should be about 1 inch high and 1 inch wide.
    10. Using a clean finger dipped in hot water, gently press down on any tips that have formed at the top of the choux while piping. You want them to retain their ball shape, but with a smooth curve on top.
    11. Bake the choux at 425◦F/220◦C until well-puffed up or turning light golden in color, about 10 minutes.
    12. Lower the temperature to 350◦F/180◦C and continue baking until well-colored and dry, for another 20 minutes. Remove to a rack, let cool slightly.
    13. These puffs are best served warm.

Bacon and Cheese Puffs | Bacon and Cheese Puffs Recipe | Gourmand Recipes

These look yummy....
    Free Charmed.

*drools*
    i want some.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That looks like one of our biscuits!

I suspect Novice is hungry.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's choux pastry McJag not "biscuit" dough, but yeah when I first saw them I thought it was biscuits too. I think that the blogger is Australian though which explains why they are not.
    Free Charmed.

Yum will have to try these!
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Thread Information