gratineed stuffed portobello mushrooms
*Sun-dried tomato pesto makes a great substitute for the basil pesto in the stuffing.
2 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium zucchini
1 medium red pepper
⅓ cup store-bought pesto sauce
½ cup Italian-style seasoned breadcrumbs
4 extra-large stemmed portobello mushroom caps
1 package (8 ounces) pre-shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the broiler. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the broiler pan rack.
2. Finely chop the garlic. In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
3. Chop the zucchini and red pepper and place in a medium bowl. Add 2 teaspoons of the garlic oil. Spread the oiled vegetables on the prepared pan and broil for 3 minutes. Lift the foil from the rack and return the vegetables to the medium bowl. Add the pesto and crumbs and stir to combine well.
4. Place the mushroom caps, open side down, on the broiler pan rack and brush with garlic oil. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, brush the mushrooms with the remaining garlic oil, and broil for 3 minutes.
5. Divide the stuffing evenly among the mushrooms, spooning it in and gently patting it down. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Broil until the cheese has just melted and starts to brown.
I found this recipe absolutely delish. I didn't use red peppers (husband hates them) and instead of zucchini I used summer squash (all that was available when I went to the store). I used garden herb pesto.