I made these last night. with the filling I made they ended up about 68 calories each but the filling is really up to you. I'll post what I did, but you can make sweet or savoury ones, add cheese, whatever.
I got 12 little ones out of this:
3/4 cup Wholemeal Flour
1/4 teaspoon baking flour
1/3 teaspoon sugar
1/3 teapoon salt
1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of water.
1. mix dry ingredients and make a well in center
2. Add water and oil
3. kneed untill dough, you may need to add more water or flour depending on your need.
4. cover and rest.
5. when ready roll out thinly and I mean as thin as you can get that sucker without it breaking, cut out 3" circles.
1 garlic clove, thinly diced
1 onion diced
3 large mushrooms
1 stick of celery
3-4 florets of broccoli sliced up as small as you can get it.
hand full of baby spinach sliced up
nutmeg, oregano, paprika & pepper to taste.
Preheat over to 180 Degrees Celcius (I think thats about 350 Farenheit)
1. lightly saute garlic, onion and mushrooms
2. throw into bowl with spinach and broccoli.
3. toss together untill spinach becomes soft from the heat.
4. throw in celery and spices.
5. take pastry circles and add a tablespoon to one side, using a binder (egg white) lightly brush edges then fold over, use a fork to press together.
6. when all is done, transfer turnovers onto a baking ttray lined with paper, brush the tops with remaining egg white just lightly. Add sesame seeds to top or pumpkin seeds.
7. Put into preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
8. Serve with salad and salsa.
1/3 cup pumpkin puree (or mashed pumpkin which is what I use)
1/3 tablespoon honey
1/8 cup light brown sugar or to taste
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 dash freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 cup apples, peeled, seeded and grated
2/3 tablespoon dried dates (optional) or dried apricots, minced small (optional)
1. All you have to do is combine all these ingredients and put them in the Empanadas and you're done.
The great thing about these is you can really play around with the fillings. and you make them snack size so you can have them for afternoon cravings or put them in a brown bag to take to work or whatever you want.