Thread: I'm looking for a good risotto recipe

Default I'm looking for a good risotto recipe

I love risotto and want to learn to make it. One of my favorite restaurants serves it with a creamy parm with shrimp and asparagus. I have also had it with with italian sausage and broccoli rabe that was good. Does anyone have a recipe or tips they would like to share?
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I don't know about a recipe, it just takes a ton of patience. I make it quite a bit when my daughter is home, but I'm not great at it because it tends to get gloppy.

The tips that I use are: don't rinse your rice first, but do give it a little browning in some butter and oil. Make sure you have LOTS of stock or water or whatever you're going to use heating up next to your risotto pan, about 50% more than you think you might need. Start very slow with the liquid, a little at a time and let it all just about absorb in before adding more. Once the rice gets going, you can add more at a time.

To add things like mushrooms/shrimp/onions, whatever, my best results have come from cooking them separately and then adding just before the last stock addition.

I usually add a little butter and grated cheese just before serving.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Thanks. I have seen them make it on TV but have never tried it. I do know I need the right rice though. No minute rice for this. LOL
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Arborio is a fairly safe bet. Small roundish rice is what to look for. I usually go to the bulk bins at our Co-op.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I make risotto with butter only, no oil. Broth and wine for my liquids- never water. Make sure your rice is Arborio. And yes, cook whatever your adding separately, then add it to the risotto towards the end.

Epicurious has some good risotto recipes.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hi! I'm New Here!

I agree. It must be Arborio rice. Normal rice just cakes. Boil some chicken bones for about 45 minutes with roughly chopped carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, a few pepper corns, and some garlic to make a delicious stock - a glass of white wine for yourself and for the pot is a bonus.

Elite Member

OK, I have a terrific recipe that doesn't involve all the stirring and stirring. You will need an oven-safe pan with a cover. This is called Easy Baked Risotto and it is from Southern Living magazine from years ago.

1 tbsp. butter
    1 small onion, minced (this is optional, I have made it without and it is good)
    3/4 cup uncooked Arborio rice (I get mine from the bulk bins)
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
    1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in an oven-proof skillet over medium low heat (do not brown the butter), add onion, if using and saute until tender. Add rice, cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to a boil. Stir in Italian seasoning.

Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

*My personal tips and tricks...I rarely use onion because I don't usually have it on hand. It is fine without. Have an extra can of chicken broth on hand in case you need to add more broth because if you wait too long, the rice will not be juicy (it absorbs a lot of liquid). Also, when I remove it from the oven, I stir in about 1/4 cup fresh parmesan (not the powdered crap). Adding the parmesan can also dry it out a bit, so again, you may need to add a smidge of extra broth.

This is delicious as a cheap main course, we often have this and brocoli as a side.

Oh, and you can also add in some sauteed mushrooms or cooked chicken at the end to make it a bit heartier. When I've used onion, I've used green onions and those are good.

You can double the recipe, in fact I usually do, because my family loves this and eats a lot, but the cooking time will be increased. Just peek in on it from time to time and pull it out as soon as you don't see liquid anymore.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by David O View Post
    I agree. It must be Arborio rice. Normal rice just cakes. Boil some chicken bones for about 45 minutes with roughly chopped carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, a few pepper corns, and some garlic to make a delicious stock - a glass of white wine for yourself and for the pot is a bonus.
    Real home grown stock is so easy and so delicious. This is a great idea-especially the wine!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    OK, I have a terrific recipe that doesn't involve all the stirring and stirring. You will need an oven-safe pan with a cover. This is called Easy Baked Risotto and it is from Southern Living magazine from years ago.

1 tbsp. butter
    1 small onion, minced (this is optional, I have made it without and it is good)
    3/4 cup uncooked Arborio rice (I get mine from the bulk bins)
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
    1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in an oven-proof skillet over medium low heat (do not brown the butter), add onion, if using and saute until tender. Add rice, cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to a boil. Stir in Italian seasoning.

Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

*My personal tips and tricks...I rarely use onion because I don't usually have it on hand. It is fine without. Have an extra can of chicken broth on hand in case you need to add more broth because if you wait too long, the rice will not be juicy (it absorbs a lot of liquid). Also, when I remove it from the oven, I stir in about 1/4 cup fresh parmesan (not the powdered crap). Adding the parmesan can also dry it out a bit, so again, you may need to add a smidge of extra broth.

This is delicious as a cheap main course, we often have this and brocoli as a side.

Oh, and you can also add in some sauteed mushrooms or cooked chicken at the end to make it a bit heartier. When I've used onion, I've used green onions and those are good.

You can double the recipe, in fact I usually do, because my family loves this and eats a lot, but the cooking time will be increased. Just peek in on it from time to time and pull it out as soon as you don't see liquid anymore.
    Yum, just the recipe I needed.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Awesome thread!

Anybody try this with brown rice? I have switched us to brown only.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I make risotto with butter only, no oil. Broth and wine for my liquids- never water. Make sure your rice is Arborio. And yes, cook whatever your adding separately, then add it to the risotto towards the end.

Epicurious has some good risotto recipes.
    this.

also, two words: funghi porcini. you can buy the dried ones and rehydrate them before adding them to the risotto. beyond delicious. my favourite risotto ever.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Arborio rice actually comes with a risotto recipe on the back. it calls for almost the same thing everyone has been saying:
    1 cup rice
    2 Tbs of butter
    1 large onion
    garlic
    1 cup of white wine
    3 cups chicken broth
    3/4 cup of parm
    fresh ground black pepper

get the rice and your good to go.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Just takes a lot of time.... I had the best this weekend back at my fav restaurant. They also now serve amazing polenta cakes.

Thread Information