This sounds so good I'm making it for dinner tonight.
Creamy Pesto Shrimp or Chicken with Linguini and Asparagus
* 1 tbsp butter (15 mL)
* 1 tbsp olive oil (15 mL)
* 2 tbsp flour (30 mL)
* 2 cups 1% milk (500 mL)
* 1/2 tsp pepper (2.5 mL)
* 375 g linguini (11 oz)
* 2/3 cup grated low-fat Parmesan cheese (7 mL) or crumbled low-fat goat feta
* 1/4 cup pesto (60 mL)
* Large shrimp, cooked peeled and deveined (454g or 1 lb)
* Chili flakes (optional)
* 15 x asparagus spears
* Salt to taste
1. Boil water for pasta.
2. Melt butter and olive oil in a nonstick fry pan. Stir in flour until pasty, then add milk, stirring constantly.
3. Season with pepper.
4. Add linguini to boiling water.
5. Set timer for 10 minutes or follow package directions.
6. Stir Parmesan cheese into cream sauce.
7. Blend in pesto and cook for a few minutes on low until thickened. If the sauce gets too thick it’s ok to keep adding milk a little bit at a time.
8. Stir in shrimp to heat through. Serve over hot linguini. Yuuuuummmmy!!!!!
9. Place asparagus in a microwave safe dish with lid. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
10. Set timer for 5 minutes.
11. Let stand until ready to serve and heat again for an additional minute. Add butter if you must. And in this case I must!