Good for those times when you need a casserole for a potluck and you need it to be tasty and serve a lot of people.
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsps. salt, or to taste
Black pepper and cayenne pepper, to taste
1 bay leaf, optional
1 (5-oz.) pkg. thin egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 (3-oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
6 green onions, chopped
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 (8-oz.) pkg. sliced mozzarella cheese or 1 cup shredded
1. In large skillet, brown meat, then drain off fat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, diced tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce.
2. Season with sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Add bay leaf if desired. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile cook and drain noodles according to package directions. Add cream cheese, sour cream and chopped green onions to noodles. Set aside.
4. Grease a 9x12-inch glass baking dish.
5. Begin layering with half the noodles, half the meat mixture and half the cheese. The layers will be thin.
6. Repeat with another layer of noodles, meat and cheese.
7. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.