Thread: Red lentils

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Red lentils

Anyone have any good recipes for red lentils? I have a big bag of them and want to make something with them but can't find anything good. Help??
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

you can make dhal.
    be warned: this is not 'light' in any way but every once in a while if you want some spicy comfort food, this is perfect.

Start with the dhal base:

1 onion, v. roughly chopped
    1 ripe tomato, v. roughly chopped
    2 green chillies, roughly chopped
    225/250g red lentils
    250ml coconut milk (1 cup)
    2 cups water

chuck it all into a big pot and bring to boil. While bringing to boil, throw in:

1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp coriander powder
    1/2 tsp cumin powder
    (I tend to bump this up a little, you can double it if you like, but keep the tsp flat - depends on how dhal-y you want the flavour)
    good pinch asafoetida, if you can get it (reduces farting)

When brought to boil, turn down and simmer gently uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent bottom-sticking, until the lentils are all mushy and the texture is gloopy. This should take about 25 minutes. In the meantime, you do the tarka, or 'tempering', which is the fried-y fatty flavoury stuff you stir in at the end.

1 finely chopped onion
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    whole lot of curry leaves (these can be a bit hard to find, but worth the effort. You can use fresh or dried. )
    2 Tablespoons Oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    chopped garlic and/or ginger (optional but i think it's much better with both)

Pop the mustard seeds and cumin seeds in oil
    Add the butter, onions, mustard leaves and anything else, and fry until onion is brown and delicious and crispy little bits . You can add a wodge of butter after you put the onion in, to make it even more delicious.

When the dhal is mushy, stir in the tarka.

serve in bowls over white rice.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i love this recipe for honey baked lentils. i use extra garlic & added whatever veggies we have on hand. i really like it with carrots, mushrooms & squash.

Honey Baked Lentils
    1 cup lentils (I use red)
    2 cups water
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp ginger, grated or minced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small onion, diced
    salt & pepper to taste

Bake in a covered dish at 350 until tender (about an hour and a half).
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

^^^
    yum. i'm going to try that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^hope you enjoy it. i think it's really good.

I don't think I've ever had red lentils. Any differences in taste/texture/cooking time, etc. with other varieties?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Not sure. Still haven't used them but will do this week. These recipes look amazing.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Lentil burgers, which a friend swears by. I'm working up the nerve to commit to making them. I've gotten lazy around too much food prep.

Fab Frugal Food » Loving the Legumes: Lentilburgers
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I don't think I've ever had red lentils. Any differences in taste/texture/cooking time, etc. with other varieties?
    Super short cooking time! That's made them my most frequently used lentil.

I swiped this recipe from the Daily Mail of all places and it's become one of my favourites:

Recipe: Spicy carrot and lentil soup

By Jo Pratt
    Last updated at 10:30 PM on 01st January 2010

Banish any thought of detox diets and 'slimming' foods, and whizz up a bowl of hearty, healthy soup.

Hearty and healthy: This spicy carrot and lentil soup freezes really well too

SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS
    • ˝tsp chilli flakes
    • 2tsp cumin seeds
    • 2tbsp olive oil
    • 650g (1lb 7oz) carrots, washed and coarsely grated
    • 1 celery stick, finely sliced
    • 150g (5˝oz) split red lentils
    • 1.2ltr (2pt) hot vegetable stock
    • 125ml (4fl oz) coconut milk
    • 4tbsp plain yoghurt
    • Small handful of coriander leaves
    • Warm naan bread, to serve

METHODHeat a large saucepan and then add the chilli flakes and cumin seeds. Dry fry for a minute or so, until they release their aroma and pop around in the pan. Remove half of the seeds and set aside.

Add the oil to the pan and, once it is hot, stir in the carrots and celery. Stir around for a couple of minutes, and then add the lentils, stock and coconut milk.

Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, covered with a lid, until the lentils are tender.

Blitz the soup until as smooth or chunky as you prefer, and season with salt and pepper.

To serve, spoon into bowls, add a spoon of yoghurt on top, scatter with the reserved spices, and add a few coriander leaves, serve with warm naan bread.
    TOP TIP: This soup freezes really well, so it is worth making more than you need, so you have plenty for another day.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

oooh, i have lentils in the cupboard. i think i'll make that soup this week. i'd like to try the burgers some time, too.

that soup looks incredible. i'm making that as soon as the fucking heat subsides a little.

Thread Information