Thread: Garlic free recipes

Default Garlic free recipes

Unfortunately, I have an intolerance to garlic. If there is even a small amount of garlic in a recipe, I am sick for the next three days.

Do any of you have suggestions for modifying pasta dishes so they are still tasty, but garlic free? I also love Chinese and Thai recipes, but come across the same problem. Any ideas or great garlic-free recipes would be great.

Do you mean just fresh garlic or does powdered do the same? Anyhow I found this at About.com/food allergies:

Leaving Garlic and Onions Out:

Can you just leave the garlic and onions out of a recipe? Sometimes. You'll usually get acceptable results -- it's not the same as leaving eggs out of a cake. However, most people would find some recipes unacceptably bland. Consider adapting the recipe with a substitute rather than simply dropping the alliums if:
    • Onions or garlic are the only flavoring in the recipe;
    • Onions or garlic are a major part of the recipe; or
    • Onions or garlic are used raw or lightly cooked.
    In these situations, the flavor of onion or garlic may be critical to a delicious dish. Most of the time, though, you can find a good substitute.
    Aromatics Beyond Onions and Garlic:

No unrelated vegetable has quite the same taste as onions or garlic. But some aromatics that may be safe for your allergies are good options for cooking:
    • Fennel has a licorice-like taste but onion-like texture. Try it with chicken or fish.
    • Celery is among the most common aromatics.
    • Bell peppers are often used in Cajun cooking. Green peppers and celery are a good base for rice dishes or savory stews.
    • Carrots are used as an aromatic in French cooking in combination with celery.
    • Celeriac, or celery root, is the knobby root of one variety of celery. Peeled and diced, it can be used as an aromatic in sauces or stews.
    Herbs and Spices for Onion and Garlic-Free Cooking:
    Garlic chives, an herb with a garlicky flavor, are an obvious substitute, but be careful if you're managing a true food allergy: chives are in the allium family. Ask your allergist before eating them.
    Here are some herbs and spices you may find useful:
    • Peppercorns: white, pink, or Szechuan pepper can add different flavors to your cooking.
    • Cumin's distinctive taste that may work well in some recipes, especially where garlic is used raw.
    • Horseradish, freshly grated, can add some of the pungent notes you might otherwise lack.
    • Ginger and galangal have distinctive flavors but may be useful in stir-fries as aromatics.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Great advice, McJag. I think powdered onion and garlic are ok. I tried a product which had 1% powdered garlic and I was ok. I have trouble tolerating raw onions as well, but they don't have quite the same effect as garlic.

If powdered onion and garlic are ok, do you know what kind of substituting I would do?

From All About Garlic:
    Garlic Equivalents
    1 head or bulb of garlic = (about) 10 to 15 cloves.
    1 small garlic clove = 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic = 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder = 1/4 teaspoon garlic juice = 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 medium garlic clove = 1 teaspoon minced garlic = 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 large garlic clove = 2 teaspoons minced garlic = 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 extra-large garlic clove = 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks McJag.

Hi! I'm New Here!

Nice recipe

I have an in-law who discovered she can't tolerate garlic, so I've been looking for a substitute.

Maybe this?

Asafetida

I haven't tried it yet, must admit, but it sounds promising.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

A*O

Fresh ginger.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Are you allergic to ramson, too? It tastes similar....
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll look into them.

I also have an intolerance to garlic/onions. I can eat them in very small amounts, but if I have a lot, I get terrible heartburn and nausea. It's usually gone by the next day. My mother/grandmother/sister have the same issue. Maybe if they didn't eat them while pregnant, my sister and I developed an intolerance, like the peanut people? I sometimes wonder.

I personally don't like garlic and have to search for Garlic free dishes...
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

I lurv garlic. I've started putting it in everything.

My fave is using garlic and ginger, along with some red pepper flakes for spice, some REAL maple syrup and lemon or lime juice.. throw that on some string beans, and you get a sweet/sour/spicy/aromatic flavor sensation. Don't need a lot of lemon juice or maple syrup either..

not the point of the thread, i just went on a half-awake tangent
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    My fave is using garlic and ginger, along with some red pepper flakes for spice, some REAL maple syrup and lemon or lime juice.. throw that on some string beans, and you get a sweet/sour/spicy/aromatic flavor sensation. Don't need a lot of lemon juice or maple syrup either..
    *swoon* heavenly

Silver Member

i can't tolerate garlic but i take an odorless geltab daily. its excellent for the immune system. i rarely get sick even when those around me are.

Thread Information