Thread: Summer recipes!

Default Summer recipes!

I thought since summer has begun, it might be a good idea to post some summer recipes.. it's the season of barbeques and stuff, so I thoughts maybe this could be useful..

Just found these..

Napa Cabbage Picnic Salad Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    2/3 cup slivered almonds
    8 cups (1 lb) coarsely shredded napa cabbage
    12 ounces snow peas, strings removed, rinsed and thinly sliced
    1 1/3 cups thinly sliced radishes
    1 1/3 cups thinly sliced green onions (including greens)
    1 1/3 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
    Dressing ingredients
    3 Tbsp rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned)
    2 Tbsp sugar
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 clove peeled and minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
    1 cup mayonnaise

METHOD
    1 Spread almond slivers out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in a 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes, until nicely browned. OR toast in stick-free or cast-iron skillet on medium high, stirring frequently until browned. Set aside.

2 Combine cabbage, snow peas, radishes, green onions, cilantro in a large bowl. Can make this step a day or two ahead.

3 In a separate bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, and cayenne until sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the mayonnaise.

4 When ready to serve, gently combine the dressing and almonds with the cabbage mixture.
    Serves 14-16.

Pesto Pasta Salad Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    4 cups uncooked spiral pasta (use rice pasta for wheat-free version)
    1 cup fresh basil pesto
    2 Tbsp chopped green olives, or olive tapenade
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    1 cup frozen peas, defrosted (or fresh if you can get them)
    12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
    Several fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    Salt and pepper

METHOD
    1 Cook pasta according to instructions on the package. Make sure the water is salted (at least a half teaspoon per quart). Remove pasta from heat and strain when pasta is cooked, but still firm (al dente).

2 Put pasta in a big bowl. Mix in fresh basil pesto, green olives, and pine nuts. Gently mix in cherry tomatoes, peas, fresh basil leaves and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Chill or serve at room temperature.
    Serves 6-8.

Spicy Corn Fritters Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    Dipping Sauce
    3/4 cup rice vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    Fritters
    1 cup flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup water
    2 cups of corn kernels, (see steps for cutting corn from a cob) cut from 3 large cobs (or frozen corn, defrost and drain first)
    4 large scallions or green onions, finely sliced (about half a cup)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    Grapeseed, canola, or peanut oil (a high smoke point oil) for frying

METHOD

1 Make the dipping sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium high, let boil for 5-10 minutes or so, until the mixture becomes somewhat syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool. The sauce should continue to thicken as it cools. If it becomes too thick, you can add a little water to it to thin it out a bit.

2 Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ground coriander, and ground cumin in a medium bowl. Add egg, lemon juice and water. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add the corn, onions, and cilantro. Stir until just combined.

3 Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan. When oil is hot (shimmering not smoking), spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons worth of fritter batter into the pan to form one fritter, patting it down with the back of the spoon as soon as it is in the pan. Work in batches. Leave about 1/2 inch between the fritters in the pan. Let cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping the fritters when they are nicely browned on one side. When browned on the other side, remove the fritters to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess fat.

Add oil as needed to keep the bottom of the pan well coated. Note that the fritters will likely splatter a bit as you are cooking. So, either use a screen splatter guard, or wear long sleeved clothes while you cook.
    Makes approximately 16 fritters. Serve immediately with the sweet chili dipping sauce.

Mom's Summer Squash Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    2 lbs squash and/or zucchini, sliced
    1 green bell pepper, seeds removed, sliced
    2 smallish tomatoes or one large tomato, peeled and cut into wedges
    1/2 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
    1 clove of garlic, chopped
    Olive oil
    5 or 6 slices of cheese - jack or cheddar
    Basil, either dry or chopped fresh
    Salt and pepper

METHOD

1 Put onion, garlic, squash, bell pepper into a large saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Put on high heat and brown the vegetables slightly to develop flavor. As you are browning, sprinkle either dried basil or chopped fresh basil on the vegetables. When vegetables are slightly browned, remove from heat, add the slices of cheese, and cover the pan.

2 In a separate stick-free fry pan, put the tomatoes and cook at medium hi heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to let the juice from the tomatoes evaporate some. After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes to the rest of the vegetables and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.
    Serves 4.

This is my favorite-my Moms. No cooking! You need grahan crackers,apple sauce & Cool Whip. That's it!
    Summer Surprise
    in 8X8 glass square pan:
    1 layer whole graham crackers.
    1 layer apple sauce
    1 layer graham crackers
    1 layer apple sauce (or you can do thicker layers)
    Cover to with Cool Whip & a few crushed graham crackers,
    refrigerate over night or at least 4 hours. Good to take to work! Men LOVE this & it is easy,quick & low cal.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

those corn fritters sound great, penny!

mmm, i love "it's too hot to cook" recipes & summer food. here's one of my favorites (sorry, i don't really measure...just guestimate & dump stuff in):

2 or 3 ears of corn (remove kernels from cob & then roast in 450* oven for about 15-20 minutes)
    2-3 or so cups of cooked black beans
    about 2-3 tomatoes (depending on size)
    some diced red onion (i use about 1 pretty small onion...it'd be like 1/3 to 1/2 of those large red onions that you find in the grocery store)
    1-2 jalapenos, finely diced (depending on how spicy you like your food)
    2 small cloves of garlic, finely diced
    1 avocado, chopped
    1/2-1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped

mix all of the above together, then dress with the following (mix together dressing, then toss onto salad):
    juice of approx. 3 limes
    1-2 T. apple cider vinegar
    approx. 1/2-1 t. cumin
    salt & pepper to taste
    oil, if you want (i usually use a very little bit of grapeseed oil...approx 1 T.)

serve with corn tortillas warmed on the placa. yum!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

This looks soooo delicious

I know!!! I LOVE pesto, so this is a definite "must make" for me this summer..

Here are some more absolutely no-cook recipes..

Apple-and-Gorgonzola Salad With Maple Dressing

Ingredients
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    8 cups bagged prewashed European mixed salad greens
    2 large sliced Red Delicious apples
    1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans

Preparation
    1. Combine first 5 ingredients (through pepper), stirring well with a whisk.

2. Combine greens and apple in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle salad with Gorgonzola cheese and pecans.

Crab, Corn, and Tomato Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
    1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon honey
    1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
    1/4 cup thinly sliced basil leaves
    1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
    2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
    1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
    8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices ripe beefsteak tomato
    2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved

Preparation
    1. Combine rind, 3 tablespoons juice, and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons juice mixture. Add remaining 2 tablespoons juice, corn, and next 4 ingredients (through crab) to remaining juice mixture; toss gently to coat.

2. Arrange 2 tomato slices and 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes on each of 4 plates. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon reserved juice mixture over each serving. Top each serving with 1 cup corn and crab mixture.

Gazpacho with Avocado and Cumin Chips

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups bottled Bloody Mary mix (such as Major Peters)
    1 1/2 cups finely diced tomato
    1 cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
    3/4 cup finely diced red onion
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (5.5-ounce) can low-sodium vegetable juice
    1 (5.5-ounce) can tomato juice
    3/4 cup diced peeled avocado
    3/4 cup chopped green onions
    Cumin Chips

Preparation
    Combine the first 12 ingredients in a large nonaluminum bowl. Cover and chill. Serve with avocado, green onions, and Cumin Chips.

^^
    that gazpacho sounds interesting.

gazpacho is my summer staple. and it's filling and has very few calories if you make the classic version:

6 ripe tomatoes (gazpacho is a great way to get rid of old, ripe tomatoes)
    1 cucumber
    garlic to taste
    salt
    pepper
    red wine vinegar (about 1 tbsp)
    olive oil (about 1tbsp)
    1 or 2 pieces of white bread (plain white sliced bread or tramezzini bread)

chop up tomatoes (i take out the gunk with the seeds) and cucumber
    add the crushed garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and blend
    depending on the consistency, you might need to add the white bread to thicken it up. cut the crusts from the bread, and sprinkle slightly with water. add to the mix. blend again.

if you really want to make it diet gazpacho, nix the bread and instead use half fresh tomatoes, half canned pelati tomatoes. this will give you a thicker gazpacho with no need for bread.

refrigerate and serve cool.

sometimes if i want to have a light lunch but want to make the gazpacho more filling, i just top it with grated carrots and/or beet and/or turnip

eta: re penny's post below
    oh yeah, i forgot, you can add a red pepper in there too. just chop and take out the seeds and blend in with the rest. i almost never do it because i can't digest peppers anymore - the skin anyway. so unless i have time to blanch and peel the pepper, i never bother with it.

Last edited by sputnik; June 1st, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Love gazpacho, too.. I've had it with tomatillo peppers before.. gives it a really nice smooth kick.

and speaking of peeled peppers, this soup can be made served hot or cold. i love it because it's easy to make and because the peppers are peeled so it doesn't make my stomach hurt (or bloat)

4 to 6 red bell peppers (depending on the size, 4 if they're normal, 6 if they're the giant ones). i usually use red but you can use green, red, yellow or a mix.
    heat the oven to about 225°C (use the internet to convert to F°, i'm metric).
    cut the peppers in half and put them on a baking sheet skin side up. bake for about... well it depends on your oven and the size of the peppers but until the skin blackens and you can easily peel it off the peppers.
    peel the peppers and then chop them into small pieces.

finely chop an onion
    then, you have several options. if you have real chicken broth, or the liquid kind, then warm up some butter in a pot, throw in the onion, cook until clear/slightly golden. add chicken broth.

or, put the butter in the pan, add onion, cook until slightly golden, then dissolve cube of chicken stock in a cup of warm water, add to the butter and stock.

or, if you want a really easy solution, put chopped onion in a bowl with the butter and a cube of chicken stock (or vegetable, but chicken tastes better). nuke until it's all melted.

whatever method you choose, put all the ingredients back into the pot. add salt and pepper to taste. add water (more or less, depending on what kind of stock you used), but you still want it to be pretty salty. blend until peppers are dissolved.

add plain yoghurt.

you can either serve it hot (just make sure you don't boil the yoghurt), or chill in the fridge and serve cold.

you can be creative and top it with whatever you like.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I might make this

Watermelon sorbet

Ingredients
    • 1 watermelon , cut into wedges and seeds taken out
    • golden caster sugar to taste

1. Remove the skin from the watermelon and cut the flesh into chunks. Purée in a food processor until smooth. Add sugar, a couple of tbsp at a time, until it is sweet enough. Remember that the cold will dull the flavour a little.
    2. Chill the purée for two hours, then freeze in a container or churn in an electric ice-cream machine. Store the sorbet in the freezer until ready to serve.

Apple-and-Gorgonzola Salad With Maple Dressing

Ingredients
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    8 cups bagged prewashed European mixed salad greens
    2 large sliced Red Delicious apples
    1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped pecans

Preparation
    1. Combine first 5 ingredients (through pepper), stirring well with a whisk.

2. Combine greens and apple in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle salad with Gorgonzola cheese and pecans.
    Oh HELLZ yeah.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Found some more recipes..

Jicama Salad

INGREDIENTS

1 large jicama (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, then julienned or cubed (easiest to work with if you cut the jicama in half first)
    1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
    1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 a large cucumber, seeded, chopped
    1 navel orange, peel cut away, sliced crosswise, then each round quartered
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/3 cup lime juice
    Pinch of cayenne
    Pinch of paprika
    Salt

Optional
    1/2 avocado chopped
    2 Tbsp olive oil

METHOD
    1 Toss together the jicama, bell peppers, red onion, cucumber, orange, and cilantro in a large serving bowl. Pour lime juice over all. Sprinkle with a pinch of cayenne and paprika. Season generously with salt.
    2 Let sit a half an hour before serving.
    Serves 4.

Sesame and Cilantro Vermicelli Salad

INGREDIENTS
    Honey Soy Dressing
    1/4 cup grapeseed oil or corn oil
    3 Tbsp dark sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper or chili powder
    3 Tbsp honey
    2 Tbsp soy sauce (less if using tamari which is more concentrated than soy sauce)
    Salad
    8 ounces of vermicelli, thin spaghetti, or angel hair pasta
    Salt
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1/4 cup sliced and chopped red bell pepper
    1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds

METHOD
    1 Cook the pasta in a large saucepan in salted boiling water, according to directions on pasta package. Drain but do not rinse.
    2 While the pasta is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a microwave-safe dish, heat the vegetable oil, sesame oil, and red pepper, in the microwave on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the honey and soy sauce and mix well.
    3 Combine the drained pasta with the dressing in a large bowl until the pasta is well coated. Cover and chill for several hours.
    4 When ready to serve, mix in the cilantro, peanuts, green onions and bell pepper. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
    Serves 4 to 8, depending on serving size.

Chilled Avocado Soup

Ingredients
    Serves 4
    3 ripe avocados
    2 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1/3 cup walnut halves
    1/3 cup fresh dill sprigs, plus more for garnish (optional)
    1/3 cup diced red onion, or half a small onion
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon coarse salt

Directions
    Halve and pit two avocados. With a spoon, scoop out flesh and transfer to a blender. Add buttermilk, walnuts, dill, red onion, vinegar, salt, and 1 cup water and puree until smooth.
    Cover the blender and refrigerate until the soup is well chilled, at least one hour. Halve and pit remaining avocado. Cut into four sections lengthwise, and then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch chunks. Divide soup among four bowls and garnish each with diced avocado and dill, if desired.

That jicama salad sounds amazing. I love jicama, it's so good in summer. It's really refreshing.

I made the corn fritters! So good! Thanks!
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

I like this in the summer. The measurements are up to you:

Greek Watermelon Salad

watermelon cubes
    crumbled feta cheese
    thinly sliced red onion
    red wine vinegar (raw apple cider vinegar works too)

Blend all ingredients, let sit/refrigerate for at least an hour so flavors can meld. This is really good.

On occasion, I've thrown in kalamata olive pieces for variety.

this is one of my favorite salads. we make it quite a bit in the summer.

wilted salad

salad
    greens (leaf lettuces, spinach, spring mix, romaine all work well)
    slice radishes
    sliced green or red onion
    bacon

dressing
    bacon drippings (not all the grease, just the pan drippings left over after pouring most of grease off)
    apple cider vinegar
    water
    honey or sugar

toss greens, radishes & onions together in salad bowl (i also like to crack some black pepper over the greens as i toss them). cook bacon, then crumble & throw on tossed salad. in a small bowl, mix together ac vinegar, water & sweetener until it gets to your desired tartness & sweetness. pour vinegar-water-sweetener mix into pan that has bacon drippings in it, warm through. pour dressing over salad & serve immediately.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Thread Information