Thread: Corn-free recipes?

Default Corn-free recipes?

Corn allergy diagnosis on the verge of confirmation via elimination diet. Yeah, it appears I'm allergic to corn. Everything has corn in it. I'm learning to bake my own bread since I can't trust grocery bread ... this sucks.

Anyway, do any of you know of a good cookbook or website that has corn free recipes? I'm going to have to learn to make my own bread and granola items in particular as those are staples in my home and I refuse to give the items up entirely.

Corn is tricky, baking powder has it, most all yeast is grown on it, oils hide corn very well ... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Corn is tricky, baking powder has it
    Homemade Baking Powder Recipe

By Erin Huffstetler, About.com

Baking powder is a key ingredient in many cake, cookie and bread recipes; but that doesn't mean you have to pay someone else to make it. Here's how to make your own baking powder:
    Prep Time: 2 minutes

Ingredients:
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    • 1 teaspoon corn starch (optional)
    Preparation:

Mix the baking soda and cream of tartar together until well combined. Use immediately.
    Yield: One tablespoon of baking powder.
    To store baking powder: Add a teaspoon of corn starch to the mixture, and stir. This will absorb any moisture from the air, and prevent the baking powder from reacting before you need it. Store in an air-tight container.
    Did You Know? Most commerically-produced baking powder contains aluminum--sodium aluminum sulfate to be exact. Make your own baking powder, and keep your baked goods aluminum-free.
    Baking Powder Recipe - How to Make Baking Powder
    So you just have to mix a small batch every time you need it.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    yay - links! I have been to that corn allergy site a thousand times and missed the recipes each time.

The baking powder substitute I used was baking soda and apple cider vinegar, I don't trust cream of tartar as it's been found to have corn starch in it as well.

this blows man! but it's nice to get to the bottom of my digestion issues.

I rarely eat corn anything because I don't think it's a healthy food. They use it to fatten cattle up for ffs. That said, I don't find it hard to avoid at all. It's the processed foods that are corn and high fructose corn syrup heavy. Eating whole foods pretty much solves the problem and it's not hard to get used to.

As for bread, buy ezekiel or manna bread. If you're in the U.S., not hard to find in many supermarkets in the refrigerated section. I'm pretty sure some of their varieties are corn free.

ezekiel and manna bread are going on my 'to check' list. The trouble with purchased breads is that so many use 'dough conditioners' which rely on a corn extract. It's often such a small amount that they aren't required to be listed in the ingredients and/or it's considered part of the manufacturing of a product and not an ingredient. Damn legal loopholes.

I just learned that the waxed cardboard from milk cartons have corn in them - fucking - A.

I agree that avoiding items labeled 'corn' is pretty easy. Finding dairy that doesn't have dextrose of some kind (check your cottage cheese) can be tricky.

qwerty - avoiding corn in general is a really good move, there is just no actual value to it at all except as filler.

Ezekial bread is not processed. It's sprouted grains, maybe some yeast and water. I love the taste of it but it takes some getting used to because it doesn't have the dough conditioners that make bread soft. Ezekiel bread has a coarser texture. If it passes the ingredient test, toast it first to get used to it.

BTW, it costs $4 - $5 a loaf but it's still worth it in my opinion.

It's true that corn derived additives lurk in surprising foods. As for dairy, isn't it the low fat varieties that have the additives like corn based dextrose to compensate for lack of fat texture?

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Ezekial bread is not processed. It's sprouted grains, maybe some yeast and water. I love the taste of it but it takes some getting used to because it doesn't have the dough conditioners that make bread soft. Ezekiel bread has a coarser texture. If it passes the ingredient test, toast it first to get used to it.

BTW, it costs $4 - $5 a loaf but it's still worth it in my opinion.

It's true that corn derived additives lurk in surprising foods. As for dairy, isn't it the low fat varieties that have the additives like corn based dextrose to compensate for lack of fat texture?
    Ah, I didn't realize Ezekial bread has yeast ... that's a no go. yeast is hidden problem #1 with breads, but I'll still take a look.

the cottage cheese I had to throw out wasn't low fat or fat free so I'm not sure. It seems like 'store brand' items all have some sort of corn additive (the citric acid in your pop is grown on corn, fuckers) ... more expensive name brands seem to be a better bet. It all comes down to economics.

yup, swope bread. I made it tonight and it was a HIT with the kids and with me. Pretty high in calories, but it's a dense bread I could slice thin and halve the calories ... I'm swooning with delight:

cornless

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    Ah, I didn't realize Ezekial bread has yeast ... that's a no go. yeast is hidden problem #1 with breads, but I'll still take a look.
    Ask your Allergist. Mine says I can eat yeast bread IF it has been frozen first to kill yeast action. Works for me!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Ask your Allergist. Mine says I can eat yeast bread IF it has been frozen first to kill yeast action. Works for me!
    They told me that yeast is manufactured or grown on corn , so unless I know exactly what brand of yeast they used (red star is the only american brand I know of that's safe, there's one from norway as well I believe) I'll end up getting some corn.

Thread Information