Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite makeup

Zee

I heard the same about Elizabeth Arden- being first to make it acceptable to wear makeup. ( eye- cheek -lip matching of course)

Just can't get past the totally unappealing celebrity face of EA! She ranks a close second to the "what the hell were they thinking" G. Paltrow for Lauder fragrance.

Her first ad is in Allure. Looks like an afghan hound with gas.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Bronze Member

I like Mary Kay foundation and eyeliners. I also like their new garnetfrost lipstick..very cool.
    I like Mere Norman powder and Rimmel lip liners. Eyeshadows...MAC!!!
    I am still looking for a macara I like. I have thick eyelashes but they are SHORT!

I like Nars eyeshadows; they blend beautifully, have very multi-faceted colours - like, shades that can look forest green, aqua or charcoal, depending on how much you blend them - and are great as liners with a liner brush too.

I also like Chanel mascara, I use the one for wee lashes (I forget the name, it's rubbed off the tube). It's beautiful, doesn't run or clump, and it's natural and subtle - not really designed for a dramatic look, but I only need my lashes to look so lush, y'know?

I have yet to find a lipstick I really like. I usually just use an inexpensive gloss; I tend to feel clownish and kind of yucky in lipstick. I'd love to find a good creamy nude one though, and am open to suggestions.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Elite Member

Default Re: Your Favourite Make up

Stage make-up is great stuff, as long as you steer clear of the really heavy foundations; those are very hard on your skin. The shadows and pencils are very high quality, you can get them in every imaginable colour and they're dirt cheap, too.

I've been trying Laura Mercier's well-renowned loose powder for a while - I ran out of my usual no-name powder from the stage make-up store, and got a sample of the Laura Mercier stuff from my mother. Let's just say that I just went back and got a new jar of the cheap-ass stage powder, before I've even finished the LM sample; the stage powder is just so much better.

Otherwise, I like MAC eyeshadows and lipsticks, and Dior's matte eyeshadows are to die for. Lancôme and Helena Rubinstein make very good mascaras.

I cannot live without:

Bare Escentuals foundation (which is hard for me to get hold of as I am in the UK)
    Nars Orgasm blusher
    Nars Laguna bronzer
    Benefit High Beam
    Benefit Benetint
    Benefit Badgal
    Clear mascara for my unruly eyebrows!

ooh ETA - MAC Lipglass!

Prescriptives foundation and powder!!!!

i use dior everything!! i have one of each type of foundation, one for the day,one for the night, one for when i have fake tan on and one for the summer then i have dior mascaras, skinflash, lipglosses, eyeshadows, blushers, eyeliners, tinted moisturisers, you name it i have it!!

im such a dior addict i love all the special edition stuff they do like the lipglosses in little silver cubes an stuff i collect those!

every birthday or xmas no one needs to ask what to get me they just get themselves down to the dior counter.

its pricey stuff but hell its worth every penny!

Silver Member

Mascara,Loose Powder,Makeup Base,Eyebrow cake and concealer
    I dont like foundation,seldom use it

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect
    I hear all this good stuff about MAC, and I know Estee Lauder owns it so it's really no different than some of the other Estee owned lines I've used...but for the life of me I can't bring myself to look past the freakshows they use to endorse the line (MJ Blige, Elton, RuPaul, Liza) or the freaks that work in their stores and at their counters. For some reason I always assume it's makeup for drag queens and weirdos.
    Estee Lauder bought MAC a few years ago. It was one of the most successful small cosmetic companies ever and raised millions for AIDS' charities. It was started in Toronto. I have used some of its products for nearly 20 years and I think they are quite different from other Lauder products.

Gold Member

I fell in love with Mary Kay about 3 years ago, so I signed up. There is no way I could afford full price, but as a consultant, your purchases are 50% off. The hubby and I use the skin care everyday, but I'm not a heavy makeup wearer. What I've been doing lately is a powder foundation, a little bronzer, eyeliner, lipgloss and Eyesicles cream eyeshadow. It takes about 2 minutes to do everything. I don't bother with mascara much anymore, my stupid glasses touch my eyelashes. I end up with lines on my lenses if I'm not careful. I need to use more or sell more of the stuff though, I totaled up my wholesale purchases this year for our taxes and it was $8900! I do have an inventory and I'm on a profit level now but I just didn't think it would total that much. If I sold every single thing in my house it would be over TWENTY GRAND! I'm a 27 year old stay at home mother with $20,000 worth of retail products in her home, which is kind of like putting a crack addict next to a crack den and telling them they need to take it easy. Like I said, I use skin care and the colors but it's amazing how quick it adds up. And, it's so easy to just walk in the room and take a new lotion or perfume, or a new nail polish. And, then I reorder, but dang! All the hubby had to say was "that's a kick-ass computer, you know that right?".

Okay, enough rambling, more robitussin.

Benefit has the cutest advertising and packaging ever, but all but 2-3 of their products are awful. Beware!

Makeup essential: Eyelash curler (no brand) & minty organic lip balm (I buy it at Royal Robbins...but it isn't made by them). And Dermalogica's multivitamin capsules. Technically not makeup, but if I use them under my concealer on my eyes, my concealer blends better.

I'm in absolute love with Shiseido's Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42. It's great for oily skin because it doesn't budge. You do need to use a mineral oil based makeup remover, though, to get it completely off.

I used that for years, but stopped when I couldn't find it in Canada any longer. I'll have to stock up again when I go to the States. It's 10 times cheaper than Touch Eclat.

paul & joe eye shadows. they have the perfect texture and i love the colours. great lipstcks and glosses... i also really like their nail polish remover, it looks beautiful and is really gentle on your hands.

i don't use foundation but i love clinique concealer. the kind that came in a little tube and has been discontinued. they sell it in pencil form now but the texture sucks. i dont' know what i'll do when i my last tube is finished *sobs*

diorshow mascara in black. perfect texture, perfect applicator.

clinique superbalm tinted lip treatment. lip balm and gloss all in one. perfect texture and great colours.

vincent longo lip stain. i use the one called cupid's kiss or something like that. it's a really natural coral-y colour.

muji blotting papers. the shiseido ones aren't bad but they have powder. these don't, they just absorb all the excess oil but don't leave anything on your skin. and they're loads cheaper.

Bronze Member

Make-up for Ever Face & Body Liquid Make-Up is absolutely the best fondation I've ever tried (and there are many). It feels light, almost watery and provides sheer to medium coverage, doesn't transfer or make the skin look dry. Sheer layer of it feels and looks practically nonexistent, its just evens the skin tone.

Chanel has a nice cream bronzer, that has great shade for fair coloured skin and just right amount of shiny litlle particles (not too much). Chanel's lipliner pencils have good shades (several very, very nice nudes).

I love Kanebo's 38C mascaras, they can be removed with lukewarm water.

And Clinique tinted Superbalms rock!

Whoa, I forgot one of my staple favourites: YSL Semi Loose Powder with brush is great. I'm not so into YSL's posh gold packaging, but at least this powder box with large mirror and "powder grader" is practical. The powder itself is solid, but when you use it you just grade the right amount of it from the cake. Sounds like a fuss but it isn't. Shades are great and it does not make skin look chalky. Unlike some other powders that contain "light reflecting particles" it does not make your skin look like you've bathed in glitter either. The result is like, umm, how would I put this, pearly matte skin without obvious glitter... ...or something like that...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information