Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite foundation

^^
    i think 90% of women who wear foundation don't need it. all you need is a good moisturiser and a good concealer. dab concealer on the 'trouble' spots, and blend well. maybe add some powder if necessary. looks way better than foundation, and it's way better for your skin.
    i don't like the airbrushed, fake look of foundation anyway. that and i can't stand the feel of it on my face.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah.. after a few hours I just feel like there's filmy grime on my face. I only started wearing foundation to cover up acne scarring and my freckles but I like the more natural look so much more now that I'm used to it. I also stopped wearing eyeliner.. I blame Kate Middleton.

i wear eyeliner but just on the outer half of my upper lid. but i never could do foundation. and i don't understand why you would want to cover up your freckles?
    as for scarring, unless it's really bad, you probably don't need more than a dab of concealer on it anyway.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If you apply foundation wrong it's fucking awful. Those people with one color on the face, while the neck is a completely different color. WTF?

I think (like with a lot of cosmetics) many women don't know how to properly apply foundation. It shouldn't go all over the face, just in spots. It's much thinner than concealer, and works better for minor cover. Many women have slight redness, or blotchiness, especially as they age, and concealer is too heavy for that. It's best applied with a brush, but a damp sponge is ok.

Concealer tip- put it on your hand to warm it up before applying, the body heat makes it much smoother and easier to blend, use a concealer brush (much more precise than fingers) and then tap/pat it in with your fingers- don't rub or you'll just take it off. A tiny little bit where the sides of the nose meet the face where we get redness is a good spot- makes a big difference. And when doing eye circles concentrate on the inner corner of the eye by the sides of the nose, it's where most people's circles are darkest.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I do some work for a makeup company and when I'm out for my other job, I just want to bust out my foundation supply and fix people's makeup.

There was a girl working at the bar we were broadcasting live from. She was really pretty, but her foundation was so pink. I wish it was possible to say something without sounding like a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    i think 90% of women who wear foundation don't need it. all you need is a good moisturiser and a good concealer. dab concealer on the 'trouble' spots, and blend well. maybe add some powder if necessary. looks way better than foundation, and it's way better for your skin.
    i don't like the airbrushed, fake look of foundation anyway. that and i can't stand the feel of it on my face.
    Agreed! I recently discovered this and absolutely love it:

It doesn't take much at all and looks very natural and fresh. Goes on smooth, easy to blend. Covers well without being heavy or cakey. Thrilled to finally find something that works so well! All I need is my moisturizer, a little bit of this stuff, touch up the brows, curl the lashes, add some lip gloss and I'm good to go.

I love this stuff - NARS Sheer Glow. I tried so many brands, spent quite a lot of money on Yves Saint Laurent despite it not being quite right for me. Now I've found this beauty! It costs 29.50 but it lasts for absolutely ages, and stays fresh throughout. Lasts at least twice as long as the Yves Saint Laurent I used. If I moisturise then put this on top it goes on like a dream. I love it! Being so pale I always find it difficult buying high street brands, but this lasts and is so worth it.

(I don't actually work for NARS, despite how it sounds )
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    [IMG] spent quite a lot of money on Yves Saint Laurent despite it not being quite right for me.
    I also spend so much money on stuff from YSL, maybe because of the touche d eclat, which I cannot live without, I just expect their other stuff to be as good. it never is and the foundation with the brush always makes my skin to break out,

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Agreed! I recently discovered this and absolutely love it:

It doesn't take much at all and looks very natural and fresh. Goes on smooth, easy to blend. Covers well without being heavy or cakey. Thrilled to finally find something that works so well! All I need is my moisturizer, a little bit of this stuff, touch up the brows, curl the lashes, add some lip gloss and I'm good to go.
    I love this stuff too!! It's the only one I've found that doesn't accentuate my fine lines...and I've tried all the drugstore ones AND all the expensive ones at Sephora.

My only gripe is that it doens't seem to come in a darker shade than Honey...which is not particularly dark, it blends with my medium skin well. But if I get a tan.....racoon eyes. And what about all the other people darker than "Honey"? Seems weird for a major company to limit the colors to the lighter part of the spectrum....
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

If I'm going out at night, I wear Revlon PhotoReady but day to day I use Garnier BB cream.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Recently, I decided that I buy too much cheap makeup I often end up disliking, and that I'd rather just have a smaller selection of really good stuff. So I gave about a lot away, and set out to pick a few perfect new items.

On a friend's recommendation, I decided to try Chanel. I can't afford a lot of it, of course, but I was looking to de-clutter, so it made sense.

Well....I got a free (and very enjoyable) makeover at the Chanel counter, and ohhhh their foundations are heavenly. I got the Perfection Lumiere. I cannot praise it highly enough. It feels so much better on my face than most anything else ever did. It is actually worth the damned money. I have fairly dry skin, and it's even moisturizing enough. (Though I wish they'd start making the moisturizing version, "Vitalumiere moisture rich", in a wider range of shades, because I'd probably get that too.)

I took a selection of my old foundations and put on a few different faces for my husband one afternoon before I cleared most of them out. He chose the new Chanel for first place without a second thought, and said it was the nicest to the touch, as well. Makes your face feel dewy and velvety. The smell is very light and pretty, and quickly dissipates anyway.

For all the money I've spent on drugstore foundations that didn't work out, I could've bought several bottles of this....argh.

Their undereye-specific concealer is astonishing too, btw--the only one I've ever used which moisturizes the sensitive undereye area without looking greasy, and it doesn't settle into creases.

And, the Chanel long-lasting lipstick is also the only such item I've ever used which truly does not suck. It's a two part product in one double-ended tube: you put on the color, it quickly dries, and then you add the soft, clear glossy layer. Looks good, feels good, doesn't dry your lips out and yes, it lasts.

As a lifelong cheapskate, I hate to admit all this. but cheap makeup can really illustrate the concept of "penny wise and pound foolish"...

Oh, apparently Chanel doesn't test on animals, so that's good too. I am not always perfect about that, but I'd like to be.

As I test out new stuff here and there, I'll try to post about it. I HAVE learned to check online review blogs before buying. Especially stuff that may cause reactions, and eyeshadow--even expensive eyeshadow often isn't soft or pigmented enough for my taste. (Chanel is doing well so far in that category, and in all my years of buying Stila shadows I haven't had a dud yet.)
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post

I must be putting it on all wrong, I heard about it, bought it while I was in US and put it on. My husband refused to go out with me with it on. He said I looked wierd.
    I have the Sisley Phyto Teint Eclat, which I thought looked natural but I squirted it on my (very nice expensive) white shirt, tried to wash it out immediately, then machine washed it, even put clorox on it and it didn't wash off. Since then I cannot put it on my face anymore.

I've also been using the Age Rewind eye concealer and love it. I have three of the lightest shades, including the neutralizer which has more yellow in it (yellow cancels out blue). These work quite well.

I'm currently using Josie Maran argan oil foundation and like it very much. You don't need much and it's one of those foundations that adjust to your skin color.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post

I love this stuff - NARS Sheer Glow. I tried so many brands, spent quite a lot of money on Yves Saint Laurent despite it not being quite right for me. Now I've found this beauty! It costs 29.50 but it lasts for absolutely ages, and stays fresh throughout. Lasts at least twice as long as the Yves Saint Laurent I used. If I moisturise then put this on top it goes on like a dream. I love it! Being so pale I always find it difficult buying high street brands, but this lasts and is so worth it.

(I don't actually work for NARS, despite how it sounds )
    I bought a new one of these (must be my third bottle I think) and the consistency seems so different. It's a lot more watery. I hate it when a formula you know works gets changed. I got another bottle for Christmas so I'll have to check whether that one is more watery too or I just got a dodgy bottle. Hmph.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I recommend Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich foundation which has an SPF 15 too.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information