Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Worst beauty products

^I'm still looking for a sunscreen that doesn't turn my face into one big oil slick.
    Fran2 likes this.

I use Aveeno Continuing sunblock for faces (30 spf). It absorbs completely and works really well for me. In the summer I use it instead of any moisturizer.

I have terrible hair - really thin and fine with weird cowlicks that pop up all over the place and give me weird kinks and bends and a widows peak to end all widow peak, so I have to be pretty picky with shampoos - almost all of them suck for me except Neutragena moisture. I can't even use conditioner unless I want to look like I've been slicking my hair down. Feel bad for me, it's really as awful as I describe.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    TRE Semmé sucks, imo. My hair feels like straw when I use it, even if I use the "moisturizing" kind.

Aveeno facial sunblock is so greasy on me. I don't care that it says oil free, the shit makes my face a grease pit and break out in less than a day.
    Try Shiseido sunscreen lotion. I have the spf 55 one (or spf 60 I forget), pricey but it's worth it, the only sunscreen I've ever tried that doesn't make my face an oil slick. It's liquidy but dries pretty matte. I was using Neutrogena oil-free whatever before with avobenzone and that was pretty shiny too, Shiseido is way better.

And I'm gonna try the Aveeno soaps, thanks for the recommendations y'all.

avène sunscreens are great. they're not oily and won't clog your pores.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like the Olay face cream with SPF 15. Doesn't feel greasy on me at all, but then again I have dry skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Try Shiseido sunscreen lotion. I have the spf 55 one (or spf 60 I forget), pricey but it's worth it, the only sunscreen I've ever tried that doesn't make my face an oil slick. It's liquidy but dries pretty matte. I was using Neutrogena oil-free whatever before with avobenzone and that was pretty shiny too, Shiseido is way better.

And I'm gonna try the Aveeno soaps, thanks for the recommendations y'all.
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    avène sunscreens are great. they're not oily and won't clog your pores.
    Thanks for the recommendations - I'm going to look into both. I have sensitive but combination skin and I'm acne prone, too, so most sunscreens just make my face freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I like the Olay face cream with SPF 15. Doesn't feel greasy on me at all, but then again I have dry skin.
    I'm using that right now in the sensitive and oil free version and I like it. My derm has (strongly) suggested that I should be using more SPF than 15 - and I want to - but I haven't found anything else with SPF that doesn't break me out. The two he suggested - Neutrogena and Clinique - both made my face angry.

Here in Australia (the melanoma capital of the world) we have so many choices in sunscreen, but nothing over 30+. My English room mate couldn't understand it when she tried to buy 50+, but I think it's probably because they don't want to encourage people to stay out in the Australian sun longer than 30x their limit. I use a brand called Ego (which I think is available everywhere) and they have roll on tubes including face milk and sports milk (heavy duty) but I wear toddler milk because it's so light and good for sensitive skin. But I have to reapply if I'm out for more than about 30 minutes, even though I have slightly olive skin.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thanks for the recommendations - I'm going to look into both. I have sensitive but combination skin and I'm acne prone, too, so most sunscreens just make my face freak out.
    i have super sensitive skin. can't wear anything scented and even some 'medical' brands like la roche posay made my skin angry. and most stuff for sensitive skin is also geared at dry skin, which i don't have. avène is the only brand i've tried that has products for both combination and sensitive skin all in one.
    i wear their moisturiser with spf 20 every day (hydrance optimale légère with spf 20) and when i'm going to be in the sun, i wear their emulsion with spf 40 or 50.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I haven't been successful with any Dove products. The soap dries my skin out, the shampoo/conditioner makes my hair dry and staticy and their deodorant makes my underarms itch. I gave up on that brand.

Maybelline lip gloss is THE WORST. It's so sticky and after you use it for like a day it gets this weird smell to it. It's awful.

I recently got a bottle of Wen Cleansing Conditioner for your hair to try for free and I didn't like it at all. It made my hair super greasy and eventually it started to build up in my hair and would like flake off my scalp, it was gross. If anyone is thinking about trying it, save your money.

I know Eucerine is really good for your skin, but I can't stand the stickiness it leaves behind. I much prefer Gold Bond for winter dry skin.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

^ Actually, I'm really glad to hear the feedback on Wen. I've seen their infomercials airing a lot recently and wondered what's so special about it. Nothing, apparently, so I'll save my money.

The man I'm seeing rubbed my shoulders with Gold Bond lotion a few weeks ago and I can't decide if it was super awesome or almost painful. The stuff definitely tingles, so I guess it was the medicated kind. Or maybe it's all medicated?

Something else I've learned from this thread is that Maybelline pretty much sucks except for the mascara.

^ Actually, I'm really glad to hear the feedback on Wen. I've seen their infomercials airing a lot recently and wondered what's so special about it. Nothing, apparently, so I'll save my money.

The man I'm seeing rubbed my shoulders with Gold Bond lotion a few weeks ago and I can't decide if it was super awesome or almost painful. The stuff definitely tingles, so I guess it was the medicated kind. Or maybe it's all medicated?

Something else I've learned from this thread is that Maybelline pretty much sucks except for the mascara.
    Also just to note on Wen, it seems like the majority of the people who were in the panel I was in who reviewed it felt the same way. There were a few who raved about it but I think in the end it will be good for a deep conditioner. Not to use alone everyday like they want you to. And definitely not worth the cost.

As for the Gold Bond, I would suggest looking for the lotions in the white bottles, "Gold Bond Ultimate". I think the ones in the yellow are the medicated kind - I can't speak for those. Just recently they've kind of revamped the white bottle line to add new scented lotions, I think maybe to try and broaden their customer range (Gold Bond always reminded me of old people until I tried some of my mom's a couple winters ago).

Anyway, it's really great stuff!!!
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I've tried those Gold Bond white bottle lotions. I sort of like the Ultimate Restoring lotion with CoQ10

...except for the fact that it has dimethicone which leaves a weird, powdery, slippery residue feeling. I hate that feeling and it seems most companies have decided people like this weird residue effect in their lotion.

Vaseline Intensive Care, the regular one in the yellow tube, seems to not have any silicones in it and it absorbs well without leaving that slippery residue, it's just not very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    What's a good soap that actually moisturizes. Not for face but for body? Winter's coming up and I get scaly, especially because I can't resist hot showers when it's so cold.
    Like everyone else said, non-soap body washes are the ticket. My finds have been Trader Joe's basic citrus body wash--it's got a delicious smell and is very moisturizing (it's got glycerin and jojoba oil in it, I think.) My skin's sensitive and dry; I get scaly in winter too if I'm not careful. Another good wash is ShiKai--it's a bit pricey unless you find it at an outlet grocery but it's great. It has oatmeal like the Aveeno stuff. The smells are out of this world.

The best thing, though, is a good body moisturizer. For the money the best I've found is basic old school Nivea, because it has lanolin. Nothing better for preventing winter scaliness really. The smell is also mild and pleasant. And it's SO cheap. The "Nivea soft" face cream is also very good and only five bucks a jar.

And also, what ManxMouse said:

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    As for bar soap, don't you guys have access to locally-made ones in some of the higher end grocery stores, markets, etc.? Just get some made with shea butter, pure vegetable and essential oils. All-natural without sulfates, parabens, weird additives and fragrances is way better for your skin IMO.
    This sort of soap is easy to find in earth-crunchy places like Berkeley, anyway. But I bought some great bars at Cost Plus recently.

I agree with what everybody said about Maybelline. I hate their cheap, hard, dry eyeshadows.

(L'Oreal is much better, though still not up with Stila--their eyeshadow is so richly pigmented and soft. Oddly, Wet 'N Wild, a craptastic brand in the 80s, now makes almost Stila-grade eyeshadow for a fraction of the price. NYC is another cheap eyeshadow which really gives bang for the buck.)

A Revlon lip gloss I bought recently made me feel like throwing up. The color was lovely and it had good staying power but UGH UGH UGH the smell. Like dark chocolate mixed with shit and mud. Horrible.

John Frieda's conditioner for red color-treated hair turns my hair to straw.

I love the Origins lipsticks in the pink-y metallic tubes but they are very fragile. Be warned, you can't carry them much in hot weather, esp. if your purse gets left in a sunny spot for even a little while. They get melty, fall apart and never reconstitute well, even if you put 'em in the fridge.

I agree with those who've criticized MAC lipliners. I actually find their much-vaunted lipsticks to be a very mixed bag too. Many turn out to be unevenly pigmented. They go on streaky no matter how many coats you add. A red I had called "Cockney" was really bad like that.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I have a great undereye concealer that I picked up at Target. I'll have to check the brand when I get home. My circles are definitely my biggest "problem" area, and this is one of the only concealers that I've been satisfied with (including some of the high end, expensive ones).

I don't like scented tampons and I don't like things that have a strong fruit or berry scent. I prefer more natural scents, and very light scents, such as shea, oatmeal and honey, cucumber, etc.

I don't like Dove or Ivory soap. They both have such a strong smell and they leave a sickening residue and hospital-like odor.

One thing I HATE is when you purchase a lip gloss that doesn't indicate it's flavored, and you put it on and it has a strong fruity/berry flavor. This happened to me the other day.

Clinique products tend to all have a scent and/or flavor that I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't like Dove or Ivory soap. They both have such a strong smell and they leave a sickening residue and hospital-like odor.
    I also detest Ivory soap. "Pure", my ass - pure chemicals, maybe. The smell is horrid, and, not to put too fine a point on it but whatever is in Ivory soap does not mesh well with my, um, intimate body chemistry. If I use it on my lady bits the immediate fragrance is not the least bit pleasant. WTF is up with that?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information