Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best OTC retinoid product for wrinkles?

^^I started Retin A at 31 and things have worked out pretty well for me and my skin. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    How do frownies work?

I'm glad you brought up Retin-A DD, cause I've been thinking about doing something for wrinkle prevention (I'm 31) and this would work for my acne too. Let us know how it works for you if you start using it.
    I looked at the Frownies website, but I guess I don't understand how they exactly work either....

I think I am going to order the Retin-A. I'll definitely let you all know if it works. I also want to see if it works for the hyper-pigmentation on my face from pregnancy. I had the pregnancy "mask" under my eyes and above my lip and it never completely went away. Under my eyes I have this brownish layer of skin- it looks like a line of tanned skin, but it's from when I was pregnant 19 months ago!! I kept waiting for it to fade but it hasn't...

I think Retin A would be good for the melasma. It lightened my freckles nicely. Vitamin C serum too. You must be diligent with sunscreen.

^ Cool.

What kind of vitamin c serum do you use? Where do you get it? How do you use it in your skin care routine?

Remember to be cautious of waxing if you use Retin A
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I am using Lumin-A for some small spots of melasma I got when I was on the bc pill. I wear an spf 30 daily and that's not including the spf in my foundation. I'll use the MAC spf50 primer this summer and always wear a hat when outside for any extened period. I never found the rx retin-A to do any more to minimize fine forhead lines than the Roc or Anew I've been using. The Aneq Vitamin-C serum is good,too.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

where do you guys advise ordering retin-a (the RX kind) online? I don't want to order from a sketchy site....will the stuff really make my freckles go away? I like them :-(
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

try the site that makeupalley.com posters recommend. they seem to be fine with it.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by frecklered View Post
    where do you guys advise ordering retin-a (the RX kind) online? I don't want to order from a sketchy site....will the stuff really make my freckles go away? I like them :-(
    Yes, your freckles will lighten significantly with Retin A and sunscreen usage.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    ^ Cool.

What kind of vitamin c serum do you use? Where do you get it? How do you use it in your skin care routine?
    You can spend hundreds of dollars on skinceuticals vitamin c serums like I used to or make your own for pennies. Combine l-ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder, vegetable glycerin and distilled water in proportions you deem suitable for your skin (trial and error). Make in small batches, refrigerate and use up in 2-3 days as vitamin c is very unstable.

Use in the morning after washing your face and apply with a cotton ball. Allow skin to absorb serum before proceeding with rest of your skincare. The vitamin C will offer added protection from UV but sunscreen is still a must. Use Retin A at night.

As for facial scrubs, I think using them every day is a bit harsh especially if you use Retin A which is an exfoliator. Save yourself some money and spend $4 on sloughing gloves (you can get them at Ulta or Bed, Bath and Beyond and they last forever) and use them very lightly on your face, neck and decolletage when showering. Very similar to using AHA products, per my derm.
    Last edited by qwerty; April 9th, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

^ Awesome, thanks so much for all the info.

I swear I'll stop asking so many questions after these last ones!

Where do you buy the l-ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder? I see them on websites for around $30 for 16 oz and $20 for 8 oz. How much do you buy and how long does it last?

I am assuming I can get the vegetable glycerin at a local pharmacy, correct?

And what do you store the serum in when you put in the frig? Is a plastic container (like a squeeze top cosmetic bottle) okay?

Thanks so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Remember to be cautious of waxing if you use Retin A
    Oh yeah, I just read about that, ouch! I'll just pluck if I end up with the Retin A. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I am using Lumin-A for some small spots of melasma I got when I was on the bc pill. I wear an spf 30 daily and that's not including the spf in my foundation. I'll use the MAC spf50 primer this summer and always wear a hat when outside for any extened period. I never found the rx retin-A to do any more to minimize fine forhead lines than the Roc or Anew I've been using. The Aneq Vitamin-C serum is good,too.
    Oh no, I hope my melasma isn't going away because I am back on bc pills. Ugh.

Cool, so you're another poster that has had good results with Roc and Anew. Sounds like they are great OTC products!

Quote Originally Posted by frecklered View Post
    Many of the posters at makeupalley said they purchased it from medsmex (dot) com and it was legit. Some of the reviews say this from a month ago and from over a year ago. So apparently many people have had good luck with that website. The tubes range from $15 to $25 each, depending on the size and concentration. They are from Mexico, but it is legal to buy it and have it shipped to the US without a prescription. I believe they ship internationally too... I am unsure where you are from but the shipping to the US is $10. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    ^ Awesome, thanks so much for all the info.

I swear I'll stop asking so many questions after these last ones!

Where do you buy the l-ascorbic acid (vitamin c) powder? I see them on websites for around $30 for 16 oz and $20 for 8 oz. How much do you buy and how long does it last?

I am assuming I can get the vegetable glycerin at a local pharmacy, correct?

And what do you store the serum in when you put in the frig? Is a plastic container (like a squeeze top cosmetic bottle) okay?

Thanks so much!!
    The powder is just common vitamin c crystals. Go to a vitamin store. It's not expensive and will last a long time because you are making small batches of the solution (again only 2-3 days worth) and using like 1/4 to 1/2 tsp at a time. Trader Joes has vitamin c powder too - I'm not sure if it's ascorbic acid though. Or do a google search - I just found a lb. of the stuff online for $12.50.

I would not use a plastic storage if you can help it - it leaches. Especially those cheap cosmetic bottles. Just find a small glass, preferably dark container. An eyedrop bottle is best. Not sure where you can buy them - I use a recycled Skinceuticals bottle. The other thing is that vitamin c breaks down in light. If you cannot use a dark container, cover your given container with something (maybe a washcloth?) to block out light even in the refrigerator.

I bought vegetable glycerin at the Vitamin Shoppe - but I had to order it beforehand. The stuff is easily bought online.

I found glycerin at Walmart for around $2.50.

I bought 1 lb of ascorbic acid online for ~$16 including shipping.

I went to 3 different stores/beauty places to find an amber glass eyedropper and I can't find them anywhere. I found them online for ~$3.50/each (inc. shipping) for 4 oz bottles.

So for less than $25 I should have enough vitamin serum for most of the year!

Thanks for all the help qwerty!

^^No problem. Remember - small batches and discard unused portions after 2-3 days. Don't forget to use on the top of your hands, neck and decolletage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information