Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 LastLast
Like Tree242Likes

Thread: Recommend a random beauty product!

for over 10 years, I used avène hydrance light and it was perfect for me but then it got too light for me and i needed something richer, but the hydrance riche was TOO rich. so after about a year of trying to find a new every day moisturiser and trying pretty much everything out there (had a bit of luck with paula's choice and caudalie but after a few weeks they would start irritating my skin again or, in the case of paula's choice SPF moisturizer, i had to apply regular moisturizer and then the stuff with SPF on top of that), i've been using kiehl's ultra facial cream for a few months and i'm thrilled. i have super sensitive skin and this doesn't have any perfume in it and it's gentle and very moisturising but not so rich that it irritates my skin. can't recommend it enough. of course now that winter's over i still have to find a good moisturizer with spf...

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^ I always like their moisturizers and scrubs. They stopped making the honey almond scrub which was the one thing I always repurchased. If you haven't, try some Mario Badescu. So well priced, so gentle. I repurchase the Keratoplast Cleanser. It's a thick cream in bottle. It takes off all makeup and then I finish with a cotton pad to remove the raccoon mascara left over. They also have a nice almond honey scrub, very gentle.

If I don't exfoliate after makeup, I also use their toner (no alcohol). That stuff really gets rid of any trace of foundation.

https://www.mariobadescu.com/chamomile-cleansing-lotion

https://www.mariobadescu.com/keratoplast-cream-soap

https://www.mariobadescu.com/almond-...ney-face-scrub

For anti-aging they say Ferulic Acid and Retinol. Haven't tried them yet.
    sputnik likes this.

i just purchased the Glycolic Acid toner
    ://www.mariobadescu.com/glycolic-acid-toner
    and a cleanser this cleanser
    https://www.mariobadescu.com/enzyme-cleansing-gel
    so far my skin has been reacting to them quite nicely , I have just felt really dull and have clogged pores ,hopefully this will help
    I also really like Paula Choice Skin Perfecting Liquid
    Pore-Shrinking Skin Smoothing Leave-on Exfoliant: Paula's Choice Skincare & Cosmetics

Origins Checks and Balances cleanser. Omg. I have super dry skin, but my skin has been changing rapidly for the past (almost) year since I burned my face in a fire. I apparently damaged my moisture barrier, says the dermatologist. So now, even though my skin is super dry, moisturizer justs sits on my skin without penetrating it. This causes all sorts of problems, like an oil slick on huge dry patches (yes, it's as weird as it sounds) and a super dry and flakey t-zone. And my concealer was separating on my face. Not attractive looking at all.

I'm also a side sleeper and often fall asleep with my clenched hand under my cheek on the pillow. This caused me to have this discolored dry patch where one of my knuckles had rubbed repeatedly. First I thought it was an age spot (!!!!) but this stuff has removed it almost entirely and gets better every day. I was about to make an appointment at this really high end spa I go to once in a while to get a facial, but I stopped in Sephora and one of the girls told me to try this stuff first. It's magic. All of my dry patches are almost gone and my skin is starting to get more moisturized by letting the cream penetrate. It's for all skin types and goes on creamy, then you add water to it and it turns super foamy. It just keeps whatever skin type you have at the moment in "check".
    Novice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Origins Checks and Balances cleanser. Omg. I have super dry skin, but my skin has been changing rapidly for the past (almost) year since I burned my face in a fire. I apparently damaged my moisture barrier, says the dermatologist. So now, even though my skin is super dry, moisturizer justs sits on my skin without penetrating it. This causes all sorts of problems, like an oil slick on huge dry patches (yes, it's as weird as it sounds) and a super dry and flakey t-zone. And my concealer was separating on my face. Not attractive looking at all.

I'm also a side sleeper and often fall asleep with my clenched hand under my cheek on the pillow. This caused me to have this discolored dry patch where one of my knuckles had rubbed repeatedly. First I thought it was an age spot (!!!!) but this stuff has removed it almost entirely and gets better every day. I was about to make an appointment at this really high end spa I go to once in a while to get a facial, but I stopped in Sephora and one of the girls told me to try this stuff first. It's magic. All of my dry patches are almost gone and my skin is starting to get more moisturized by letting the cream penetrate. It's for all skin types and goes on creamy, then you add water to it and it turns super foamy. It just keeps whatever skin type you have at the moment in "check".

I suffered a chemical burn on my cheeks last summer that I've gone with tons of shyt fixing. Calamine lotion was my answer and now, my t-zone is out of whack with extreme dryness. I'm flaky as a shedding snake. Plus Im breaking out like a mofo because of the dryness. NOTHING is working except for Cicaplast soothing repairing balm from La Roche-Posay which is very much like my beloved Vichy mineral balm. A very rich cream that doesn't have that waxy feel but I can't use it in the t-zone. Still searching for the perfect cleanser. If something works, it only works for the first couple tries then my skin either flakes or break out. I feel like Goldilocks searching and like a guinea pig trying them.
    A gf gave me some of her prescribed cortisone vaseline-like cream. It made the breakouts even worst.
    Now my period hits, so I'm in fetal position crying over my mangled t-zone and then........

I see your post! The clouds have parted to heavenly rays. Angels are singing!
    I have hyperpigmentation so I'm hoping it'll clear that too. Gonna give this cleanser a try! I wonder if I can get samples?
    Nevan, panic and Novice like this.

^^^ the first Sephora I was in (where they first told me about this stuff) only had the deluxe sample size ... you know, where they have all those tiny sizes of stuff before checkout? I think I paid $11 and I'm not even halfway through (you only need a small bit). I liked in so much that when I was in a larger Sephora a few weeks later and bought the full size. I've also had that problem where things only work for a short time, but I've been using this for a few weeks twice a day and still going strong!! Hope it works for you!

I've also tried their 10 minute mask called Out of Trouble. It really helped move things along.
    whitetigeress and Novice like this.

Thank you Nevan!
    A Sephora opened up a few months ago at the my local mall that I've been in it a couple times. Quite overwhelmed with the various selections.
    Felt ....lost?
    Now, thanks to you, I have a clue.
    Nevan likes this.

Become friends with the staff. Seriously. They like to be asked suggestions. I've gotten some really good advice, plus mega samples!! Don't be overwhelmed. You can always return what you don't like or want.
    Brookie and panic like this.

^Agree about getting to know staff. At the Sephora I go to, I had excellent service by one particular girl. I made sure to get her name, then tweeted Sephora about her. I also filled out the online survey. Sephora's twitter account replied to me and thanked me for letting them know.

The next time I went in, Amy (the Sephora girl) recognized me and thanked me for sending Sephora positive feedback. Now when I go in, she helps me out right away. She's even grabbed lip gloss and said, "I saw this and thought of you! I think it's one you'd love."

ALSO.....

Originally came in to the thread to recommed lumirance Neo-Gold Retinol Serum. I bought it on a whim, based on the ingredients and it was a good price. I've been using it for a couple weeks and my skin feels fantastic.

Yesterday I got word of a good friend passing away from cancer. I went to the pub I work at to visit friends/get out of the house. I didn't put any makeup on because I knew I would just cry it off. While I normally have decent skin, I had so many compliments on how great I looked.
    My friend took a picture of us together and my skin was damn near glowing in the picture. It's not often I will share a makeup-less picture of me, but I posted that picture everywhere I could hahah
    fgg likes this.

Can anybody recommend an alternative to Bare Minerals that doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride? My normally clear skin developed a few cystic zits after using this stuff for a week. I was left with mild pitted scars even though I didn't pick.

A Sephora associate told me that a lot of people are allergic to this "natural" additive but Bare Minerals has no plans to change the formulation.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

There are 2 brands I'm thinking of, but let me check the ingredients out first.

(Yes, I realize this was basically a useless post haha)

EDIT: Damn, looks like pur minerals has bismuth oxychloride as well. It has less than Bare Minerals does, but still... it's there.

I just read through the Cover FX site and as of a post by their company 8 months ago, there is no Bismuth oxychloride in their products. I've used Cover FX for 6 years and don't think I would switch to anything else.
    Last edited by dallison; April 21st, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
    Brookie likes this.

Thanks - I'll check it out!
    dallison likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Lily Lolo is the only brand that does not make the blackheads on my nose go crazy. Plus it's vegan (I'm not, but it might be of interest to some of you).

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    for over 10 years, I used avène hydrance light and it was perfect for me but then it got too light for me and i needed something richer, but the hydrance riche was TOO rich. so after about a year of trying to find a new every day moisturiser and trying pretty much everything out there (had a bit of luck with paula's choice and caudalie but after a few weeks they would start irritating my skin again or, in the case of paula's choice SPF moisturizer, i had to apply regular moisturizer and then the stuff with SPF on top of that), i've been using kiehl's ultra facial cream for a few months and i'm thrilled. i have super sensitive skin and this doesn't have any perfume in it and it's gentle and very moisturising but not so rich that it irritates my skin. can't recommend it enough. of course now that winter's over i still have to find a good moisturizer with spf...

I love Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream! I have combo skin but since moving to a drier climate this has been the perfect moisturizer for me year-round. It keeps my face hydrated without being too oily or heavy. When I lived in a more humid area, I used a lot of products from Origins. I recommend the Dr. Weil moisturizer if you want something lightweight yet moisturizing. I also used to pick at my face whenever I thought I had a pimple and it left a lot of brown spots all over...the Dr. Weil products did wonders in evening out my skin tone and reducing the dark spots.

sputnik likes this.

Can I recommend a line? I have had really good results with Herbivore Botanicals F A C E | Herbivore Botanicals I use their Lapis oil in the morning, Phoenix oil at night (never any breakouts from these and they keep my skin very hydrated), one of their hydrating masks that I can't find on the site right now, & their lavender sea mist salt spray for hair. I have medium length wavy/curly hair and this works really well to give texture but doesn't cause frizz or weigh my hair down, I think Urban Outfitters carries it too. I tried their pink clay soap but it didn't do much for me, I think it wasn't right for my skin type. The oils have lasted a long time without "turning"/going bad, I think I have had them since October and with daily use they are still 1/3 full.

Thread Information