Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Activ Acne Treatment - any good?

Silver Member

The active ingredient is 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

The repairing lotion has some fatty substances that could cause breakouts.

The cleanser has 2.5% benzoyl peroxide also, but how much it does depends on how long it is left on the skin before rinsing. Usually actives in cleansers are redundant with the "star" product.

The toner active is glycolic acid, but the concentration and pH are not specified. Most likely low concentration, high pH, not particularly effective.

These are drugstore concentrations and actives, I doubt they will help hormonal acne at all. But superficial cases might get some benefit, at a cost considerably higher than drugstore but not necessarily more effective.

More effective = more irritating in general, more peeling, more redness. Alcohol based actives are usually most effective because they deliver more of the active to the skin. Putting fat in the formulation usually means less active and more chance for cosmetic breakouts.

Just because a company spends a fortune on an ad campaign does not mean they have anything special to offer.

If I had kids with zits I'd put them on tretinoin (alcohol based gel) or a low dose of accutane. Both require rx.

I've wanted to try this stuff but my skin is seriously sensitive. If I use a basic Clearasil scrub, it'll work for about a week than I look like the pimply faced teen from The Simpsons.

I think I'm kind of screwed when it comes to any kind of skin stuff. Most acne treatments contain some sort of peroxide which causes sun sensitivity....which is something I don't need anymore of

SVZ

A*O..it's gonna be a long, long journey.

Go see a dermatologist, and try to get some retin-a (tretinoin) or tazorac.

It's best used, 3 days on 3 days off so it doesn't irritate your skin too much.

My grandma bought me proactive, a month or two ago, because she's the type of grandmother who's constantly buying me shit I don't want, or need. I've been using it for about a month, and my skin is still the same as it was before; dry in some places, oily in others, a lot of zits at my temples, random break outs here and there.... no improvement, no changes, nothing. :\ I'm going to ask her to not buy it for me, again.

It works for me. I only get minor breakouts here and there on my forehead, or cheeks. I broke out last month all in one area on my cheek, and I was so disgusted by how I looked, I decided to buy Proactive again. (I tried it before, but I cleared up, then started using neutrogena cause it's cheaper.) I've never had a problem with Proactive at all, it's just hard for me to be consistant with the treatment, cause you have to wash with it morning and night. I usually only wash my face in the morning. A*0, I think it's worth a shot if you've got the money. If they are going to share it, I suggest getting the larger bottles that run 50 bucks for a 1 month supply.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Another thing that worked for me was AHA alpha hydroxy souffle. It cleared up my skin really, really well.

At first it made me break out really bad, like zit on top of zit on top of zit, almost instantly. I've never broken out that bad before.
    But I kept using it and after about a month my skin was super clear. I was getting compliments on my skin like I've never had before.

I stopped using it for about 2 weeks, and after that I was afraid to try it again because I don't want to go through the breakout process again.

But it does work, if you can handle the initial purge and stick with it.

ProActiv always worked for me, preventing pre-period breakouts and getting rid of the occasional blemishes literally almost overnight, BUT the people I know who had severe acne all said that it didn't do anything for them. I think it works best for mild to moderate skin problems.

It also has a really strong smell, sort of like baby powder, that I personally didn't care for. It's like they went overboard on the perfume to try to cover up the chemical smell.

I tried Proactive back when I was in high school and the stuff was horrible. I didn't realize it at the time but I have sensitive skin and the treatment was too strong for me. I needed something gentle. I haven't met a single person who had good results with proactive. I recommend taking them to a dermatologist to see what they suggest.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I know this isn't what you asked, but I thought I would throw it out there.

About proactive- I haven't tried it, but I have read on the web many times that it's the hydrogen peroxide in the solution that helps with acne.

I break out sometimes around my period and I started using HP. It's worked great for me. I just make sure to avoid my hair and eyebrows so they don't turn orange. My skin is naturally dry so I use a good mosturizer afterward using HP and it hasn't made my skin dry or anything.

You can see some home remedies for acne here:

Safe, simple remedies to cure Acne from Earth Clinic.

I follow this woman's suggestions (from above website), works perfect for me and I spend like $5 total for months of acne treatments!
    I don't understand why people should put castor oil around their eyes. What does it do?
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I use a tea tree face wash, and for unexpected outbreaks I dab on lavender oil. Also, at night after washing I apply Bio-oil. It doesn't make me break out, smooths my skin, has helped fade out scars and has had the bonus effect of reducing fine lines I was developing.

I recently read about crushing 5 or 6 aspirin tablets, adding a little water to make a paste and then applying it in to your face and washing off after 10 minutes, but I haven't been brave enough to try this yet.

SVZ

I do the aspirin thing and it's fantastic, gets rid of any puffiness/swelling too

The aspirin mask is pretty good. I'm too lazy to do it more than a couple times a year.

I've had a lot of success in keeping my skin clear by drinking raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. The stuff's great.

A*O

Update: The Pro Activ really didn't work so after a futile battle we've seen the dermatologist a few times who suggested various things including the Pill, antibiotics and Differin gel. Not much improvement there either so we now have the big guns and my daughter is taking Roaccutane (vitamin A derivative) and it's fantastic! Her back is now almost totally clear and she has just a few breakouts during her period. The downside of the meds is that they dry out your mouth, eyes, nose and you become very prone to sunburn but she only has to take them for 6 months and hopefully that will be that. She's just one of the unlucky teenagers who doesn't grow out of acne but once it's under control the Pill should be all that's required.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Differin took the polish off my nails; that shit is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I love love LOVE Pro Activ, I've been on the stuff for a year and a half, and it works awesome. It was a little drying at first, but with a little extra moisture to the skin, its awesome. I dont care if they doubled the price, I would rather go without every other product including make up. I had it really bad for awhile too, which sucks cause I was fine in high school...damn late 20's hormones
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information