Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New (ish) Estée Lauder Perfume "Modern Muse"

Silver Member

Which version of No. 19 do you like A*O? Parfum, EdP or EdT? Chanel is one of a few perfume houses whose different forms in a perfume differed not only in the concentration of perfume oil, but also in their composition. Nothing major, just extra emphasis of certain ingredients in one form compared to another, but it does results in variation in the smell. Guerlain is another perfume house whose EDT and EDP often smell really different.

Based on your love for No.19in general, I would suggest "Y" by YSL. This is also a green fragrance. I saw it a few week ago at Terry White Chemist for $65. Not bad. I'll think of a few other in a similar vein.

Anais Anais was my first perfume too! Then I graduated to Rive Gauche as a sophisticated teenager when all my friends were dousing themselves with Impulse body spray that smelt like bathroom deodoriser.

my favourite was Jean Louis Scherrer but I haven't worn perfume in years and it would probably smell disgusting to me now.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

my mother wore rive gauche when i was young. i loved it on her.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Rive Gauche reminds me of my pre-teen years when I was living in South East Asia. French perfumes were hard to come by or were too expensive to afford. My aunty who was living in Australia during that time would one or twice a year send my mother some costmetics and perfumes. Among the treasured goodies was a box of Rive Gauche body powder that my mum would put on me after my nightly bath.

I had such a wonderful memory of it that for years afterward I kept a look out for it. Unfortunately, besides a vague memory of its smell all I remembered about it was that the powder came in a round box and the powder puff was a light blue (helpful, I know). My mum was no help since she mistaken remembered it as Lancome which led me to sniffing nearly every single Lancome fragrance that I can get my hands on. After more than a decade since those pre-teen years, I finally managed to correctly identified my first perfume love a few months ago. The problem is I'm not sure if the reality lived up to the memory (apparently it has been reformulated since those days). Nevertheless, smelling it makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood and that alone means that I'll be buying a bottle - maybe it'll grow on me.
    Last edited by Snarker; December 7th, 2013 at 01:36 AM.

A*O

My preference is Chanel No.19 Eau de Parfum but I'll take anything. The EdT can be a little soapy and doesn't last very long.

The perfumes of my youth were Misumi (now discontinued?) Charlie, Rive Gauche (natch) and Madame Rochas. I found some MR recently which I tried for old time's sake and it smelled TOTALLY different to what I remembered, and not in a good way. Either the formulation has changed or my sense of smell has.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

lots of old scents have been reformulated, and none for the better imo.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yes, they've done the same with men's aftershave too. It's infuriating.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My preference is Chanel No.19 Eau de Parfum but I'll take anything. The EdT can be a little soapy and doesn't last very long.
    The EdP is more floral and feminine compared to the EdT IMO. The latter is more unisex and can be rather aggressive in its greeness. Maybe "Y" will be a good fit since it's a rather soft and elegant fragrant.

Have you try Chanel's Cristalle? The EdT in particular is green and crisp - like the initial blast of No. 19. The EdP is sweeter and more floral. Another suggestion is Annick Goutal's Heure Exquise. I think Annick Goutal is exclusive to David Jones, but it has been a long time since I've look for it so I don't know if DJ still carries the line.

A*O

"Y" is discontinued, natch. The only Masumi available now is in crusty old bottles on eBay. Pity, because it was/is lovely. Maybe I should contact Coty and ask if they have a secret source or, even better, make it again. I've been doing extensive research and quite like Chanel Cristalle Eau Vert so far. There's no denying I keep going back to Chanel.
    Dame Edna Everage

i finished my sample of bel respiro and had become so obsessed with it again that i went out and bought it for real even if it hurt spending that much on a perfume. i think i have found my signature perfume.
    they gave me a sample of another one of the les exclusifs line, 'jersey', and it's definitely not for me but would recommend it for anyone who likes a sweeter floral perfume, it's got lavender (but muted enough that the soapiness/masculinity doesn't come through), vanilla and i don't know what else but there's something a little musky in there.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I got a sample of Bel Respiro and while it's OK I can't say it's a wow. I prefer Cristalle. Maybe I should just stick with No.19 which is still my #1 love, still draws compliments and I'm still not bored with after 20+ years. If Chanel discontinues it I'm in big trouble.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    lots of old scents have been reformulated, and none for the better imo.
    How true! I always think of my mum wanting to wear the scents of her youth, and being bitter disappointed because they don't smell the same now...
    ex-LaFolie
    "I hear Chris Hemsworth's Oscar nominee announcements were dubbed by Marni Nixon" - Witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I have a longtime love of Lauder's Cinnabar. I've worn it on and off since high school. It's a winter only scent, as it's heavy. But it's gorgeous. A woman's perfume, not like these unisex edt's that are so popular now.
    Have you tried Rouge d'Hermes? Similar family, etc but a winter scent.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    OK, I forced myself to go to Chaddy and tried Bel Respiro. I see what you mean about it growing on you. The only problem is that after an hour it had almost completely disappeared but perhaps that's better than some crap you can smell for DAYS afterwards. I'll give it a go but remember to take it with me for top ups.
    Do you have an acidic skin? I can burn through perfume Very quickly & have dry acidic skin. YSL opium smells like a spritzer on me, I do love dior edt special edition splashes though. Even if they don't last.
    Free Charmed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information