Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I got Lasik eye surgery

Default Re: I got Lasik eye surgery

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    Did your doctors warn you about the chances of something going wrong or your eye sight not improving?
    I'm kinda curious about the success rate.
    And what happens if your eye sight doesn't improve after the surgery? Do they give you some kinda gurantee? Say, that the first surgery didn't work, so will they redo a corrective surgery or a follow-up?
    I guess it depends on the doctor/clinic you go to.
    I was told about what potentially might go wrong and the chances of that happening. If it wasn't slim to none, I wouldn't have done it! I was very carefully evaluated beforehand to see if my eyes were even suitable for the procedure. Sometimes they have to turn people away. Yes, they can do corrective surgery. I was told that if it was needed, there would be no additional charge for it.

I saw 'starbursts' around lights at night for a month or two afterward, but not much different from my contacts really.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Reviving this old thread...

I just had lasik 2 days ago, specifically custom intralase (bladeless lasik). Let me know if you have any questions about that procedure. It has been a great experience thus far (I can SEE!) but my eyes are still a little red and swollen, though I'm told that should all be resolved within the next 1-2 weeks.

Originally Posted by moomies
    Did your doctors warn you about the chances of something going wrong or your eye sight not improving?
    I'm kinda curious about the success rate.
    And what happens if your eye sight doesn't improve after the surgery? Do they give you some kinda gurantee? Say, that the first surgery didn't work, so will they redo a corrective surgery or a follow-up?
    I guess it depends on the doctor/clinic you go to.
    My friend had laser surgery on her eyes and ended up getting an infection and all sorts of other problems. The guarantee from where she went is that she now gets free daily contacts for life.

I don't know if it made her vision worse or not, but after they did the surgery they said that it was due to her eye shape. Interesting that they wouldn't have known that before they took her money and lasered her eyes!

I had a LASIK procedure 1 1/2 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. I will try to answer everyone's questions.

Had glasses since I was 10. Wore contacts day and night, constantly. I was a -9.25. They will not touch you if you are a 10. I was at the point where it was now or never. I couldn't have the regular LASIK since my eyes were so bad. I believe the procedure was called LASAK. Difference is, they couldn't cut an incision in my eye, since my eyes were so bad, it would have practically cut straight through my eye. This procedure requires the top layer scraped off my eye, then the laser was done, and then I had to wear protective contact lenses on my eye for a week for them to heal.

I was so blind, I couldn't even see if my children were in bed asleep unless I actually felt the bed to see if they were in there. I got up from the chair, and I could immediately see better than I had in years. Not clearly, but my husband laughed as I walked down the hall yelling, "I can see the clock! I can read that sign!"

On the way home, once the numbing drops wore off, there was a burning sensation. Like if you have hay fever or allergies, and your eyes burn. Not really painful, but really uncomfortable. Took meds.

Extreme light sensivity for a while. I still don't go outside without sunglasses on.

Cost $2600, but I had an inside connection that I got a discount. No insurance. Very experienced and reputable doctors. Nationwide complication rate of this surgery is 3%. I think the childbirth complication rate may be the same or higher, so I was ok with the odds. When I went in, they told me since my eyes were so bad, they may not be able to make me 20/20. If something didn't work or went wrong, they would continue to go in and fix for no additional charge as many times as it took to fix it. I am 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other.

My girlfriend also had it done a month ago. Her eyes were not as bad as mine. Hardly no pain/side effects. Extremely happy. Her surgery was $3000.

NOTE: They did say if you were going to have the surgery do not go to high altitude places for a certain period of time because the altitude would have an effect, good one. Don't remember the details, but be sure to ask if you will be travelling to Colorado or something like that soon.

Bronze Member

Default hello

Hello from a newbie!
    Hi out there. I wanted to introduce myself to everyone. Iíve been searching the web for info about lasik and found this board. Iíve never thought about joining a board before, but after reading through some posts, Iím happy I did. I just want to say thanks to everyone for the support you offer here.

Bronze Member

Default hey

Thanks for the Support.
    I just joined this board and have been reading through a bunch of posts. I wanted to tell you all how much I appreciate all the support you give one another. I think it will be really helpful for me to read what other people are going through. So, thanks!

Elite Member

i keep hearing abt. the halos people see...

Bronze Member

Default look what i found

I found this site called *spam removed* which has a great video. Even though I am a new member, I think everyone here would really like watching this film b/c it was really nice hearing and watching someone talk about their difficulties and how they cope. I wanted to share this with everyone here, hoping it would help you guys too. Here's the link *spam removed*
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; February 12th, 2007 at 02:53 PM.

I had it done a few years ago. My night vision is not as good as vision in light conditions, I still have residual 'halo' type effects. It's not as bad as the weeks after I first had the procedure done, but just to let people know it may decrease but not go away completely. The haloing is smaller but still noticeable at night and when you look at street lights, etc. It's not bad though.

I still use eye lubricants as I tend to have dry eyes from time to time. Other than that I am very satisfied with my procedure, not having to worry about glasses is awesome.

I never had the Halo or night vision problem. And very rarely do I have to use the drops. I probably should use them more, but I'm lazy.

Bronze Member

A friend of mine had the surgery about a year ago. At first everything was great and he had 20/20 vision. About 4 months later his vision started to get foggy. He went back to the eyedoctor and was told this could happen. He opted to have the corrective surgery and how he is completely blind in one eye. A real tragedy. The other eye is not doing well either but he is afraid to have the corrective surgery for that eye. I don't blame him. He is the process of suing. This was a doctor ( who teaches other doctors the procedure ) with a good reputation. After this happened he went for a second opinion and was told that he was never a good candidate for the surgery and should never have had it.. ALWAYS GET A SECOND OPINION!!!!!

^Omg, that's horrible. Thanks for that...
    I've thought about getting it done...I have slightly blurred vision (i'm near-sided) but I really don't *need* glasses or contacts--which are hell to put in btw. I just pretty much avoid driving at night (short distances if I have to)

It's really horrifying to think that I could loose my eyesight entirely to try to get rid of a slight blur in the distance...but thanks for the input people. I think I'll definitely avoid the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by khaebs View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread, but I thought I would offer my experience and answer questions for anyone who is interested
    So how are things going with your eyes a year later?

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    So how are things going with your eyes a year later?
    really well, sometimes my left eye gives me problems, it gets a little blurry at times, but for the most part they are perfect. I'm so happy I did it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information