Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Has anyone tried Bare Escentuals?

I have a bone to pick with this, maybe you devotees can give me some advice.

I washed and moisturized my face as usual and then went to put on the Bare Minerals foundation per instruction. And by the time I was done, the brush had whipped up these layers of peeling, dead skin on my face! I had to wash my face, re-moisturize and start all over again with liquid foundation. And I had no problem.

What did I do wrong??? Is mineral makeup just not for me? I do have cystic acne and I am on an arsenal of RX medications and topical solutions to deal with it. BUt I thought mineral makeup was ideal for people with skin conditions?

Maybe the lotion you used was the problem. I'd make sure my face was totally dry with no stickyness from other product. And less is better. Start out with less than you think you'll need. I could not do what the dvd said to do without looking like a kabuki.
    Don't give up, it really is a wonder.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

This was a disaster for me. My skin - which is normally clear - broke out with several cystic zits that left slight depression scars whether I picked at them or not. Depressing and let's just say I'm not exactly a teenager. Once I stopped using it, skin problem went away. I moved on to an all natural pressed rice powder from Palladio Beauty. It's only $10.00 per compact with no offensive ingredients and good, natural looking coverage. My skin is much happier.

I just bought the starter kit this weekend and I actually really like it. The lady at the store said that I didn't have to use the rever-upper lotion to begin with if I didn't want, but I have better results when I do. The first time I put it on though, I was sitting in my bedroom doing it with a hand held mirror while I watched the instructional DVD and when I went into the bathroom to take a look, I had obviously used way too much. I looked like a cheap hooker. (Which I sometimes like, but I just prefer it to be intentional vs. accidental.)

But other than that, I really like it so far.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I was ready to throw out my Bare Minerals kit, but someone told me to check out YouTube tutorials on mineral makeup. And I found this video and it really helped me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSwiXrj2uk[/youtube]

I love how she says 'to me, the concealer brush IS the makeup.' that is SO true. I have gotten better results by starting with the concealer brush on my blemishes (the coverage this makeup provides on such spots is amazing, it really is. WAY better than liquid and much longer-lasting.). And t hen using the kabuki and regular brushes to even out my skin.
    Last edited by Cali; January 24th, 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Well, I use the BM Mineral Veil and it is amazing!!! I have very fair skin, I just wash my skin with a light aloe vera wash and moisturize. Then when my face is dry I use the Mineral Veil, maybe a light blush, some mascara, and some lip gloss. I am not kidding when I say it gives me a glow that is just amazing, it really makes my skin look great.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Have any of you figured out a way to use Bare Escentuals without making a massive mess? When I get a new pot of the foundation, it is filled up so much that it gets everywhere. Then when applying it using the cap, there's often some left in the lid that gets all over.

I love this stuff but I'm sick of the mess. I don't know why they haven't come out with some sort of travel version, or different packaging.

Bronze Member

I have tried it and have used it but can not because it makes my face itch and makes my pores look GIANT! I can't use it since it has bismuth in it. it is sort of hard to wear the eyeshadow too but still do cause it doesn't make my eyes itch as bad as my face. To bad too cause I really like BE, my bf and dd even drove about 500 miles to meet Leslie in a BE boutique almost 3 years ago when she was doing her "tour" she was very sweet too . I LOVE the mineral veil and have no problems with it. It doesn't have bismuth in it though. I have used the aromaleigh mineral foundation and LOVE it! If you can't wear the BE give aromaleigh a try, I don't know if I can say the website? so just google aromaleigh and a link will pop up. I wish they would change their packaging too. I know it is not a big deal but I think it is even hard to remove the stickers from the tops of the product..lol.
    Allison

I ditched the B.E a long time ago after running out and trying this awesome 14 dollar jar of Jane mineral makeup.
    I'm really red, the warm color covers perfectly, it's not shiny and does not make my pores look big.
    It does have one of those awful sponges on it which I just toss.
    I could not be happier. I really stocked up too, I bought 5 jars of it.
    Companies tend to discontinue products I love.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I tried and didn't like it. It felt roough.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    If it works for you guys, great, but I know two women at work who use it and their faces always look like shit! They have really greasy, oily skin and I think they use the stuff in lieu of liquid foundation. I don't like how it looks--it looks orangy, bronzy in color and I've seen their makeup bags--jeez, those powders spill because their brushes are always full of dirt and powder. I see them in the restrooms re-applying it and it looks like a mess.
    There are two issues here:-
    Using the lindsey lohan colour option
    Hygenine

Quote Originally Posted by Green-eyed-hottie View Post
    Ohhh..I wanna try it... so, you girls that use it.. what about colors? I mean they only have light,medium,tan,dark (something like that) so how to decide if you are in between??:/
    I've seen 8 colours of foundation.... & we're in the UK...
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-eyed-hottie View Post
    So you do use just a tiny bit? Is it true that it takes some time (like few minutes) for minerals to "do their thing" and then you actually see the 'results' ? I saw few videos on youtube, but those girls already have flawless skin with no blemishes, of course its going to look good! If you could find that link, I would really appreciate it!
    Yeah, my beautician started selling it recently & they said that the swerling warms up the mineral particles & that is where most people go wrong...

I've had this for awhile but have only recently started to use the mineral veil, and I love it. I actually love it even more than the Smashbox photo primer that I've had & used for years.
    Free Charmed.

I used it for awhile and for the most part liked it, but it didn't give me the coverage I needed. I switched to Laura Mercier, which I really liked.
    Who says being second best is such a bad thing?

Bronze Member

I have half a dozen pots of BE foundation in fairly light. I do like it but it isn't pale enough and looks a bit yellow on me. The biggest problem for me is, like Cali the brush has dried out my generally combi-oily skin. My cheeks were normal but flakes of skin fall off when I use BE. And I exfoliate and moisturise regularly.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information