Thread: Exfoliating body wash choking the oceans?

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Exfoliating body wash choking the oceans?

Scrubbing Out Sea Life

Exfoliating plastic beads feel good—unless you live in the ocean.

By Hillary Rosner
    Posted Monday, June 16, 2008, at 2:45 PM ET A smiling model glides, mermaidlike, through a lush underwater garden. Undulating ribbons of something resembling kelp rise from the sea floor, and tiny enchanting pearl-like beads bubble up though the aquamarine water. Polish your troubles away with Olay Body Wash Plus Spa Exfoliating Ribbons, the subject of this commercial, and you too might feel as if you're floating through a luxurious Atlantis.
    The trouble is, the more you exfoliate, the less Edenic that underwater realm becomes for the creatures who live there. That's because the exfoliating ingredient in Olay's body wash, and in most similar big-brand products (such as Dove Gentle Exfoliating Foaming Facial Cleanser and Clean & Clear Daily Pore Cleanser), is actually made out of plastic: tiny particles of polyethylene that scrub the dirt from your face and then wash straight down the drain and into watersheds and, eventually, oceans.
    It's well-known by now that increasing amounts of plastic are clogging the planet's seas, killing millions of sea creatures every year when they swallow it, choke on it, or get tangled in it and drown. Plastic doesn't biodegrade, meaning it doesn't break down into its initial components; every piece of plastic ever made is probably still around somewhere on the planet today. But sunlight disintegrates plastic into smaller pieces of plastic. These can wind up in waterways like rivers and creeks, flowing out to sea.
    The thing about plastic exfoliating beads is that they don't need to break down in order to end up in the stomachs of marine life from otters to octopi.
    "As this debris occupies the same size range as sand grains and planktonic organisms, it is available to a wide range of invertebrates near the base of the food chain," says Mark Browne, a scientist at the Centre for Ecological Impacts of Coastal Cities at the University of Sydney who has studied the consequences of microscopic plastic in marine habitats. And unlike other types of plastic that just happen to end up in the ocean, these beads are almost predestined to reach the sea.
    The amount of "microplastic"—fragments smaller than 1 millimeter—in the oceans has "increased significantly" over the last few decades, according to Browne, who found that 85 percent of the plastic debris in one British estuary was micro. Browne believes that one reason more people haven't heard about the problem is simply that it's difficult to study. "Quantifying tiny plastic fragments in the animal tissues presents a number of methodological challenges," he says.
    Still, laboratory experiments have shown that a range of bottom-of-the-food-chain critters—including mussels, barnacles, lugworms, and tiny crustaceans called amphipods—will ingest the particles, which may then remain in their digestive tracts or migrate to other body tissue. New research also suggests that polyethylene is an excellent transporter of phenanthrene, a byproduct of fossil fuel burning that's a dangerous ocean pollutant.
    Jay Gooch, associate director of external relations in beauty care at Procter & Gamble, Olay's parent company, says the total volume of the microbeads is too small to have an impact—though he did not respond to an e-mail asking how many Olay products contain them and the number of those products sold annually.
    "Our assessment is that they will largely be removed during sewage treatment," says Gooch, who has a Ph.D. in toxicology and did his postdoctoral research at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. "We're talking about very small amounts, so the overall loading from these things is very small even compared to the main ingredient in a laundry detergent, say."
    But sewage treatment systems are not designed to remove microplastic, meaning the particles are likely to remain in the water. "It would appear that considerable quantities of these materials may be entering aquatic habitats; little is known about their persistence or the potential environmental consequences and more work is needed to establish this," Browne says.
    Not all exfoliants contain plastic. Many products are available that use salt, pumice, or ground up seeds to do the same job without the environmental cost—like Burt's Bees Deep Pore Scrub (finely ground peach stones) or St. Ives Apricot Scrub (apricot kernels). So why doesn't Olay? "I'm a firm believer that just because it's natural doesn't mean it's benign," Gooch says. That's undeniably true. It's also true that just because it's advertised using tranquil ocean imagery doesn't mean it's good for marine life.
    Hillary Rosner is the co-author, with David Bach, of Go Green, Live Rich.
    Article URL: http://www.slate.com/id/2193693/
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

SVZ

Chemical sunscreens are killing our oceans a well

Good to know, I only use body scrubs with salt or sugar in them.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by TonjaLasagna View Post
    there are alternatives too, like jojoba meal, and acai scrubs etc, etc

Make your own with olive/coconut oil and sugar OR buy exfoliating bath gloves for $5.00. When asked, my dermatologist admitted that I was getting the same exfoliating benefits from the gloves that I would be with expensive, toxic exfoliating products.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Are all sunscreens chemical? That's a not a smartass question. I just assumed they were?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

^^Titanium and zinc oxides are considered physical blocks but I have yet to see a sunscreen product with either of these physical ingredients without an added chemical sunscreen component as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TonjaLasagna View Post
    Brown sugar scrub is the best,IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

kosher salt and Dr. Bronner's soap mixed together make a great body scrub
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Are all sunscreens chemical? That's a not a smartass question. I just assumed they were?
    what qwerty said.

there are pure physical sunscreens but they tend to turn your skin white cuz it's basically like putting white paint on your skin :/

Hit By Ban Bus!

i didn't know, i'm glad this was posted...

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Yup... pretty fucked up.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Ok.. apparently we can't do ANYTHING at any time or anywhere that doesn't adversely affect the environment.

Stupid planet! You gave us big brains! Adapt to them!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^^^I know. I'm getting fed up with being guilt tripped just for being human and having the nerve to exist and (Gasp!) have things. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody who's yelling at you to not eat this, buy that, wear this because if you do you are exploiting/poisoning/wasting and at least indirectly causing the starvation or oppression of someone else.

K, for real.. a list of things for humanity to do:

1) Find an alternative to plastic that has the same properties, but can biodegrade into useful soil nutrients. Also invent a class that does NOT biodegrade, but is 100% recyclable.

2) Stop using oil. With plastics alternatives, half the use of oil is gone. Find some other fucking fuel.

3) Stop building tacky McMansions, unless the materials used were recycled. Also, that size of a lot means you have to grow your own food, fuckers.

4) Electric cars for everybody, given the preceeding rules. Batteries must be recyclable.

5) Stop importing fucking food. It's fucking wasteful. Want avodacos? Build a greenhouse and grow them locally. Use biodegradable plastic unfused soil to do it.

6) Stop using artificial fertilizers that kill everything. There are natural herbicides and pesticides. Besides, if you start growing shit in a greenhouse it shouldn't be that big a deal should it.

7) Return farmland to nature, except local farming uses. All export farms should be reforested.

8) Pageants are henceforth banned. Use the time to develop a skill or join a charity. Do something usefull, you self involved retard.

9) Religion should be henceforth restricted to the "free praying zone". No religion outside of it. Go in, pray your way, come out. Keep your religion where it should be, and learn how to be a decent human being without some sky fairy judging you. If that is a problem, free classes on humanitarianism will be offered, ostensibly staffed by the re-educated Pageant retards. Failure is not an option. All assholes will be banished to the land of wind and ghosts.

10) All production will be retooled to be as close to zero emissions as possible. All waste products will either be 100% recycled or the product will not be made. Industrial polluters and dumpers face penalties of death.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information