14 6.19%
  • I'm a guy

1 0.44%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tampons versus sanitary pads

Default Tampons versus sanitary pads

Which do you use?

Default Re: Tampons versus Sanitary towels

Sorry, I know things are called differently all over, but sanitary towels made me laugh. I'm picturing a towel strung up between your legs. I guess I've heard of them being called sanitary napkins/pads, but everyone I know just refers to them as pads.

I rarely use those, because I'm allergic to adhesive, and I'm very sensitive, but sometimes it's so heavy I can't help it. I don't use tampons because they irritate me so much and are so dry.

I alternate between Instead Soft Cup and the Moon Cup, depending on heaviness and my activities at the time. You can actually have sex with the Instead. It's like a diaphragm, but disposable.

I've been wanting to try those...^^^
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I only use tampons with plastic applicators. I like the Tampax Compak and Tampax Pearls.

Oooh me too! Just because of the convenience. I use pads, mainly because tampons are uncomfortable to me and I've had problems with them in the past with cramping, etc. My mom had TSS symptoms in the 70's and had to stop using them, so when I got the symptoms that I did that was enough for me. I generally don't go heavy that time of the month anyway, so I don't worry about pads not being enough protection. Nowadays even the thin ones are more absorbent than ever (sounding like a corny pad commercial, but it's true!)

Once when vacationing I had what was for me a *heavy moment* and wore a pad and a tampon, since I was freaked about the possibility of an accident on what was a very expensive Temperpedic bed with probably just as expensive bedding! But generally my use of tampons is rare.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I find pads to be extremely uncomfortable and awkward. I tried them for my first period and wow- never again!! I constantly worried that they would slip out of place or be visible through my pants.
    Funny story- On a cheerleading trip one of my friends got her period unexpectedly while we were waiting to board our flight at the airport. She asked if anyone had supplies and everyone only had tampons. We never realized that she didn't use them!! We could all tell she was nervous about using it, but it was the only choice and our plane was getting ready to take off. She ran into the bathroom and quickly inserted it. Throughout the whole flight she complained that it was extremely painful and after we questioned her about it she revealed that she had inserted the ENTIRE thing- applicator included.

Oh man, that's awful southernbelle!

But it reminds me, my poor daughter. The first time she got her period was while we were in a hurry through the airport for her to get on a flight. We'd popped in the bathroom to give her a chance to go before hand, and she was torn between freaking out about getting it in the airport on her way to visitation with her father, and being glad to be a bit more grownup. My mom had to stay with her while I ran to a sundries show to find some pads. They only had like 5 packs, so she had to get her father to buy her some when he picked her up. Poor thing!

They don't sell junior tampons here, and regular are just too uncomfortable to use for more than 15 minutes or so. But pads are messy. And uncomfortable.
    2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by moocow
    Sorry, I know things are called differently all over, but sanitary towels made me laugh..
    Me too

When I'm at home I use pads, when I go out I use tampons.
    Overall I prefer tampons.

Bronze Member

tampons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    pads ONLY at night.

pads make me want to vomit seriously, they stink, they look horrible, theyre uncomfortable, they shift and move around.... the list is endless! i hate hate hate them!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane
    When I'm at home I use pads, when I go out I use tampons.
    Overall I prefer tampons.
    Same here, I don't like using Tampons too often because of the risk of TSS so when I'm staying in I put some comfy pants on and wear a towel but if I'm going out anywhere like shopping or clubbing I wear a tampon with a small panty liner aswel just incase!!

I'm really interested in these cup thinngs though, I'd never even heard of them before!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Quote Originally Posted by moocow

I alternate between Instead Soft Cup and the Moon Cup, depending on heaviness and my activities at the time. You can actually have sex with the Instead. It's like a diaphragm, but disposable.
    I can honestly say I have never heard of those, crazy eh?

Had a look at the site and they do have a lot of benefits, I'd just be a little wary of emptying them (if thats how they work, the moon cup does - didn't read all the info ??) But I guess its like everything, you get used to it.

I can't stand pads, even though they are a lot smaller than they used to be I always feel like I am wearing a nappy. I would never wear one during the day because I'd be suffering from paranoia of people seeing it, or god forbid - hearing it rustle!
    Last edited by Tenaj; December 20th, 2005 at 11:28 AM.

I go into a handicapped stall to empty the mooncup, if I'm in public. They recommend trying it first on either a light day or when you're not even on it. You get used to it. Saves you a lot of $$ over time. You don't have the risk of TSS. It generally is not messy, since you just empty out when you're over the toilet. I wouldn't want to try going back to tampons now. And pads irritate the heck out of me. Unfortunately, I'm a heavy bleeder, and even with the cups, I can have to empty it fairly frequently. But I'd bleed through with a tampon anyway, even extra duty.

I just wanted to say, when using the instead during sex, I've never had a guy notice.

Haven't worn tampons except when absolutely necessary at a pool or beach, as my friend died from TSS while we were in HS in the 80s....
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information