Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four products you shouldn't splurge on

Default Four products you shouldn't splurge on

Four Products You Shouldn't Splurge On

This will come as no huge surprise to you, but some fancy products aren't worth the money. (I know, shocking, right?) I always like to find products of good value, but there are some things that you never need to splurge on. Next week, I'll share some beauty products that are worth their price. But for now, read on to find out which things are just as effective as their costly counterparts.
    Nail polish
    Sad to say, Chanel polish doesn't warrant the $19 price tag. You can get great results without spending more than $10, or even five bucks. Essie, CND, and OPI are all great choices. Sally Hansen and Revlon also make long-lasting polishes for about $5. Why pay more than you have to?
    For three more cheapies, read more.
    Facial cleansers
    It makes sense to invest in a good night cream, since that'll be on your face all night. But a cleanser? You put it on and rinse it off in less than a minute, washing money down the drain. I recently tried Olay Regenerist cleanser and was floored by the quality — not to mention the price. And every dermatologist I've talked with recommends Purpose or Cetaphil.
    Body scrubs
    Ditto body scrubs, unless you absolutely love the fragrance (and can afford to shell out $30, $40, $50 for a fancy one). I once tried a $95 body scrub, but it did nothing that my drugstore scrub didn't do. And to keep your bank account fat and happy, you can make your own scrub.
    Pencil lip liners
    The difference between a Wet 'n' Wild liner and one that costs $24 is usually minimal — if it even exists at all. Although I find that certain nonpencil liners go on more smoothly and stay longer than their cheaper counterparts, most pencils behave in pretty much the same way. So try a cheap version before splurging on a department-store brand. At best, you've found a huge bargain; at worst, you're out a buck or two.

PopSugar,source
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Definitely agree. I think foundation, lipsticks and eyeshadows are worth paying extra for because they tend to be more heavily pigmented and last a lot longer, but for the rest -- not really.

i agree with everything except chanel nailpolish. i love that stuff. i agree opi is great as well but it's generally not sold here except for sephora in france and they charge way too much for it compared to what it costs in the US.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

I used to mock women who spend money having their nails done at the local nail salon when they could do just as good a job at home but I was wrong. I now go to my local place, run by a couple of lovely Vietnamese sisters natch, and they use cheap as chips nail polish but the way they apply it with total care and attention means it stays put forever. It's worth every cent of the $6 per full manicure (!!!) they charge.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^^
    damn, i wish i lived in a country with cheap manicures. every time i go to new york my first treat to myself is a full mani and pedi for the price of half a manicure here at a 'cheap' place.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Woah, I'm jealous. A so-called affordable manicure& pedicure here is about 25 Euros.

I don't believe in 'splurging' too much on products in general. Not that I go for cheap supermarket brands, but I'm actually quite content with my Body Shop body lotions, Neutrogena Facial Cleanser and Garnier face cream.

I have, very occasionally, splurged on individual makeup items like a Mac eyeshadow (pretty colours!) or a Helena Rubenstein mascara (it's really THAT good).
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I use NYC translucent powder, face powder (I'm PALE), lip liner and nail polish...
    I have found Jane eyeshadow to be as heavily pigmented if not more so than MAC (same people anyway).
    Stick with a variety of mascaras from maybelline; tried more expensive and was never impressed or blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i agree with everything except chanel nailpolish. i love that stuff. i agree opi is great as well but it's generally not sold here except for sephora in france and they charge way too much for it compared to what it costs in the US.
    Agreed.
    OPI costs nearly $20 here, I have no idea what the Chanel is (over) priced at.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I make my own body scrub: 1 cup sugar & 1/2 cup olive oil and I keep it in a plastic container.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I use NYC translucent powder, face powder (I'm PALE), lip liner and nail polish...
    I have found Jane eyeshadow to be as heavily pigmented if not more so than MAC (same people anyway).
    Stick with a variety of mascaras from maybelline; tried more expensive and was never impressed or blown away.

Hey I didn't know that! Yay, cheaper alternative.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I can't tell the difference in cheap versus expensive mascara. Same for blush and lip gloss. I'll kick out the money for skin care and that's about it.

I'm so blindingly pale, it's hard to find a foundation and powder that is light enough, so I'll spend as much as I have to in order to get a match.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I can't tell the difference in cheap versus expensive mascara. Same for blush and lip gloss. I'll kick out the money for skin care and that's about it.

I'm so blindingly pale, it's hard to find a foundation and powder that is light enough, so I'll spend as much as I have to in order to get a match.
    I agree regarding paleness; after much hunting and trying and spending I have found using Covergirl CG Smoother concealer in the 2nd to lightest shade where needed and then NYC loose powder or almay makes a really good powder for the pale. Being pale can be a bitch when it comes to getting a good match.

Gold Member

my problem is i spend too much on make-up in general

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I agree regarding paleness; after much hunting and trying and spending I have found using Covergirl CG Smoother concealer in the 2nd to lightest shade where needed and then NYC loose powder or almay makes a really good powder for the pale. Being pale can be a bitch when it comes to getting a good match.
    Cover Girl has about as good a shade range as I've found. Their Clean Make-up foundation in Ivory is about as pale as it gets, and matches my skin pretty closely.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Gold Member

Clinique used to have a foundation called ivory bisue that was prfect for my complexion. The rotten sods disconnected it and I haven't found one that is as good a match.

Foundation is the one thing I will spend heaps on when I get the right colour. This is because it will last me 6 months when I am working and 12 months when I am not working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information