Thread: Nail questions! Ridge filler and cuticles?

Default Nail questions! Ridge filler and cuticles?

I'm a cheapass and hate paying to get my nails done professionally, but they just look sooo much better. Primarily b/c I cant get my nails to look all smooth. I have lots of ridges and such on my nail beds. And b/c of my cuticles. SO:

1. Has anyone found a good ridge filler / nail polish primer that really works? The ones I have found are like White-Out and dont seem to help things so much as they worsen them.

2. I have super-strong nails (i know, hate me, i get it all the time), but there is a downside: CUTICLES. I can GROW some cuticles people, and its GROSS. They are huge! I get how to push them back, but then I have a little wall of skin, eww. And if I try to trim it w/ nail scissors or those a cuticle trimer but despite my best efforts, I still get hangnails and its awful. Whats the solution?

hahaha it makes me smile that 42 people have read this thread and no one has the answer either!! Makes me feel like not such a dummy for not knowing how to take care of my handzzzz....
    <--- that lil guy is cute, i like that he marches and laughs. and GR has some random yet cute smileys. I likes.

I have some unorthodox methods here. My nails are thick and oval shapped-like a manicurists once told me "They look acrylic, but real".
    Mine also have ridges. I cannot stand for more than 2 coats of polish-it makes me feel "smothered". I read a lot. I read once where Japanese women(the most esquisite as far as grooming IMO) file the tops of their nails for smoothness. I stole that and have been doing it for years! I use the fine side of an emeryboad and go lightly until ridges are gone. This won't work for those paper-thin nails, but it does on mine! I also do my toenails.THEN I will get a mani or pedi.
    I just don't like to see ridges and nothing really fills them in totally-they have to be GONE! I hope you don't think I am totally nuts-it really really does work. Go slowly and lightly,but I promise it WORKS.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

I do this too, though my nails aren't as thick as McJag's. I use the little round things from Sally Beauty, there are varying degrees of roughness. I use the very fine one. Not sure if it would work, but perhaps you could go once a month to the manicurist, and keep it up the rest of the month at home. That's what I do.

Thread Information