Thread: Help with Olay Total Effects

Bronze Member

Default Help with Olay Total Effects

Hi everybody

I'm 26 years old, I have an oily skin, and I started to notice some wrinkles in my face already... in my forehead, between my brows and also these ugly lines that run from the nose to the corner of the mouth...

I want to use Olay total effects products, so I visited their website, but I was overwhelmed by all these products, I don't know which exactly to use...

http://www.olay.com/boutique/totaleffects/products.jsp

I mean what should I use? can you help me to plan my day to day care? I'm kind of clueless about all this stuff... I just wash my face with whatever soap is there and that's it !!

but now I can find 7 different types of products:
    1- Serum
    2- Vitamin Complex with UV protection
    3- Daily Cleanser
    4- Moisturizer
    5- Eye Transforming Cream
    6- Intensive Restoration Treatment
    7- Night Firming Cream

so now I want to start a daily routine to take care of my skin, can you help me here?
    I have a lot of questions in my mind, for example, should I use the serum everyday? what is the difference between the serum and the intensive restoration treatment? I know that I should have a routine of 3 steps: cleanser, toner, moisturizer... so does it mean that I don't need the moisturizer if I will use the night cream? or should I use them both?

I can imagine that I will start my day in the morning with the cleanser then the moisturizer, then I will put the vitamin complex with UV protection before I go to work... and at night I will use the cleanser, then the moisturizer, then the night firming and eye transforming cream...

is this a good plan? or should I eliminate the moisturizer?

please help me

Why do you want to use Olay products? If you are clueless why would it matter what brand you use?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hiya, I use Olay too. It's good stuff. I'd keep it simple if I was you. I use just a cleaner, moisturiser and the eye stuff. I don't think they intend you to use all their stuff, (although they'd probably like it if you did) so you'll just have to find the things that work for you. x

Hit By Ban Bus!

Hi dodda, at your age all you really need is a good cleanser, toner and moisturizer. I told my daughter, who is 23, the same thing. I didn't really start taking care of my skin seriously until I was in my late 30's and thankfully I have good family genes (my father's side all look at least 10 years younger than they are). I wish I had, but I got off pretty easy.

I like Aveeno products. (Used to use expensive stuff like Clinique, Aveda, etc.) The Skin Brightening Scrub is really good, makes you look fresh and glowing. I did borrow a friend's Total Effects night cream (not the heavy one). It's good. But if you are looking at price, I think Aveeno is a little less expensive and it's just as good. Look for products that don't have carnauba wax in them.

Using a moisturizer with sunscreen in it is good too, of course. Using all those confusing expensive products is a waste of time. You'll have plenty of time to need and use "Restorative" products.

Good Luck, and Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Mira; December 26th, 2006 at 03:18 AM.

Hi, Dodda. Welcome!

I'm a couple of years older and also have oily skin with the very beginnings of lines in my forehead and around my eyes. I use cleanser, toner, moisturizer with SPF, and an eye cream at night.

I was told I don't need the heavy hitting wrinkle creams just yet, but the most important thing is wearing SPF everyday. Wear an SPF on your neck and hands, too!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I agree with Mira, you need a toner!

Morning

Cleanse
    Tone
    Moisturize
    Then sun protection (this I get lazy in the winter although UV is still present )

At night

Cleanse
    Tone
    Moisturize

Right now I have Olay's cleansing cloths, serum, intense anti wrinkle treatment (I use it under my eyes, it's more prevention for me cuz I don't really have wrinkles yet) and the night cream (I sometimes use this in the morning...lol, if I feel like it...)

Choose your products accordingly to your skin type and skin needs.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Bronze Member

twitchy, bella, Mira, Laurent and moomies... thank you all of you..
    Bella, "keeping it simple" that's a good advice, I thought I have to use all of the products, so thanks God for your reply

Mira and Laurent, if I need a toner, can I use it from a different product? I live in the middle east, and we don't have all these produts like you, the most popular (yet not very expensive) skin care brands here are: Olay, clean & clear, and Johnson's.. that's why I selected Olay... so my question is: can I use johnson's toner for example with Olay total effects products? I will serach for "Aveeno" but I don't think I'll find it didn't even hear the name here before

anyway, thank you all... and Merry Christmas

Hit By Ban Bus!

You know, I've used toners in the past, but not for a long time. I guess I'm lazy or inattentive. If I knew what they really did, I'd probably be more interested in them. But since they exist, they probably do something!! I think it's important to use a ph balance toner. If you have oily skin, like I do, I would not use anything stringent. Check what Olay has, and if they don't have anything you want, I really don't think it's going to hurt to use another toner.

Just remember oily skin means you can look 10 years youner later on! And for the creases from your mouth to outer corner of lips - Restalyne! I'm dying to try it, not for that, but for squint lines in the middle of my forehead. If you have them now, you'll probably have them deeper later on, but no amount of skin care products is going to make them go away. They will have to be filled with something. Hopefully by the time you really need it, the price will have come way down.

Bronze Member

thanks Mira, you are a great help

Hit By Ban Bus!

You're welcome! I'm wondering where in the middle east you are, and if you can mail order stuff. I have a friend who goes to Qatar and she can get anything there. I also know people in Istanbul and I think you can get stuff there as well.

If you need to buy mainstream products like Olay because that is all that is available, then do that. But like everyone said, keep it simple!

Couple more things: I'm pretty sure Olay has mineral oil in it. I wouldn't use anything with mineral oil on my face or body - especially not my face. Mineral oil is a petroleum derivative. That's why I like Aveeno better. But there are other "natural" products you can find.... hopefully!

I'm also thinking that you can perhaps buy the Aveeno or other products from Target, Walgreen's, CVS by mail order. here's a link: https://www.aveeno.com/to_buy.jsp

SVZ

Sorry to bust your bubble but Aveeno contains petrolatum in it (Which is the same thing as mineral oil).

And mineral oil is not bad for your skin. It's hypo-allergenic and doesn't clog pores, the only reason why companies stray away from it is because of its texture, it's greasy and occlusive. But it *is* the best moisturizer out there, at 5% density it prevents someting like 98% of moisture loss from skin.

Creme De La Mer is by weight almost 40% mineral oil...the magical seaweed extract is a gimmick - if anything it's probably an irritant (from the iodine)

Don't get caught in the natural phallacy Natural is not always best.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yikes! Shoulda checked the label! Well, so far so good. It doesn't seem to plug up my skin the way Olay did. Everybody has different biochemistry, so I'm sure a lot of people do fine with it.

SVZ

It's more likely the ester isopropyl myristate, which does clog pores and is irritating (however makes a great emolliant)

SVZ

Lala's right. Glycolic (or alpha hydroxy acids) and vitamin a acid derivatives (retin-a, tretinoin, tazorac) are the only things that have been proven to be effective.

the rest are just humectants (not saying that these aren't effective but they'll only work on wrinkles that are a result of your skin being derived) and magical ingredients that Chanel wants to sell you

Thread Information