Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Best skin care system for aging skin

Default Best skin care system for aging skin

Okay all, I'm 42 and have been cleansing my face with bar soap and moisturizing with Jojoba oil/coconut oil for ages now ... but I've noticed that my skin is suffering. It seems dull and dry and I am seeing more lines and wrinkles over the last year. I think it may be time for me to start taking this skin care thing a little more seriously.

My skin tends toward dryness, I cannot deal with much fragrances in any of my products and I'd rather not break the bank with hyper expensive products.

Any recommendations?

I'm also relying solely on coconut oil to moisturize my skin, hoping simple and natural remedies are actually better than regular cosmetics
    Brookie likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

^How long have you been moisturising with coconut oil and what do you use for washing the face?
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

I use a baby wash to take face makeup off - it's gentle and non-drying (any brand will do - Johnson's 24-hour moisture wash is a good choice), I use nearly all oils to moisturize - argan oil, coconut oil, hyaluronic acid (attracts & holds in moisture - I have a hyaluronic acid & aloe combo now that I really like), products with manuka honey, vitamin E. I get a lot of stuff at TJ Maxx/Marshalls.
    LaFolie and Bluebonnet like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I really like belif at Sephora. I feel the price is reasonable and it works for me (I’m very dry but they have lines for all skin types). Whenever nothing is working for me, I go back to Shishedo but it’s really expensive (you can usually find brand new stock on the cheap at Overstock). I’m just starting out using Tatcha, which would be considered high end (less than Shishedo). I just bought their smoothing essence and silk primer. I tried one of their bestsellers trial kits when they hit the US market probably 2-3 years ago. The only product I even tried was their dewy finishing spray, which was all the rage at the time, and I HATED IT. It was returned the next day. They have a lot more available now. I have a lot of skin sensitivities and allergies, so I always purchase from Sephora when possible so I can return whatever doesn’t work. Do not let ANYONE talk you into trying a sample out of skincare (or makeup for that matter) testers. People dig their disgusting paws into them all day long and it is SO unsanitary.

Sometimes though, you just need a really good facial. I try to get one every season, which is what the spa I go to recommends. It does wonders, especially this time of the year. Try to find one that will look at your skin very up close and personal before they recommend any facial. I almost always get some kind of nourishing or repairing one, but I’ve gotten smoothing and pore minimizing ones in the past too. Most times if I have several things going on, they’ll incorporate it all into one facial. Check for reviews too.
    Bluebonnet and Brookie like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Make sure you exfoliate at least once a week.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Sometimes though, you just need a really good facial. I try to get one every season, which is what the spa I go to recommends. It does wonders, especially this time of the year. Try to find one that will look at your skin very up close and personal before they recommend any facial. I almost always get some kind of nourishing or repairing one, but I’ve gotten smoothing and pore minimizing ones in the past too. Most times if I have several things going on, they’ll incorporate it all into one facial. Check for reviews too.
    I have NEVER had a facial ... that might be a good idea.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Make sure you exfoliate at least once a week.
    What do you recommend for exfoliation?

I actually use a pair of loofah gloves every Sunday morning in the shower - all over. You gotta be gentle unless you're trying to take off the top layer of skin, but it takes off the dead, dull stuff. I do it on Sunday mornings because I don't have to take off makeup in the morning - and that Johnson's baby stuff works great with gloves.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    What do you recommend for exfoliation?
    I’ve been using this little gem for about two years now. I have sensitive, dry skin and it is a miracle! I use it a little differently than described ... I wash my face in the shower with Origins Checks & Balances (another miracle, I had developed a big dry patch, and a Sephora employee recommended it, dry patch was completely gone with one wash), I take between a nickel and quarter sized bit and dot it on my problem areas and any big pores on damp/wet skin, then I scrub in small circular motions on the problem areas for a good 60 seconds, then scrub my whole face for another 45-60 seconds and rinse it off (rinse well because this stuff is an eye burner, even though I stay away from them). Skin is smooth and soft. https://www.sephora.com/product/mode...20grid:p297513

Since I’m such a skincare and makeup whore, I’ll share this too because I was amazed by this. I was looking at new sales on Sephora and came across this brush ... https://www.sephora.com/product/deep...?skuId=1834894 (it's out of stock right now, but they’ve been restocking it even on sale). I also bought this to use with it ... https://www.sephora.com/product/deto...20grid:p302940 ... it’s a bit different than what they suggest to use with the brush but it warms on contact and is a thicker liquid so it’s easier for me to use in the shower. I was SHOCKED at my pore size on my nose and cheeks after using this combo. It’s actually a very gentle and soft brush, but it’s a hard worker.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

I'm 45 and dry too. I wash my face with the makeup eraser cloth where you don't need a cleanser. Once a week, I will do a charcoal mask that I got from Mary Kay, then exfoliate with a scrub and a neutrogena hand held thing I got from my mom. (as you can tell, I pay attention really well.) That alone makes my face feel like a baby's bottom. For a while, when I was really dry, I used Arbonne, which totally stopped any flaking I had on my face. Recently, I started using a Retinol product I got from the spa, but it's too new for me to say if it's working or not.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

My skincare rules are - drink lots of water, stay out of the sun, moisturise day and night and don't smoke. The most important one for me is the water, because my face still looks reasonably smooth and clear given my advanced age (it's better than the dehydrated women I work with who are a decade younger).

I don't use cleanser on my face, and sticking it directly under running water makes it dry and flaky, so I dampen a rough face cloth in the shower and give it a decent scrub with that, and at night when I take off my make up I just use Johnsons wipes (I don't wear much other than mascara and a bit of loose powder). I use cheap moisturiser when I'm broke and it does the job, and when I'm hanging around at home I'll smear in whatever oil I've got lying around and wake up the next day with beautiful soft skin.

My one luxury (sort of) is eye cream - I've been using it since I was a teenager and no matter what "studies" come out telling me it's a crock, I don't care - it works for me so I'm sticking with it.

Also never had a facial. I guess I'll consider it if my skin starts going downhill, but it'll probably be too late then!
    Brookie and fgg like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I drink a lot of water too.

- Mark Twain

And avoid stress and sugar, if possible.
    fgg likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Clarins. Itís expensive as hell but it lasts a long time. I donít use the anti aging serum, but the wash, toner, and lotus oil before bed cost nearly $100.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information